DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

Supposedly, Peterson had little if anything to do with the deceased child.

I've heard that too, but one would hope that having a death caused by child abuse be so public and connected to you would still cause some introspection about the disciplinary methods you use on the children whose lives you are a part of.

Supposedly, Peterson had little if anything to do with the deceased child.

Yeah had only learned he existed a month or two earlier and had never met him. I'm sure it still could have impacted him hard though. Just look how over the top and emotional some people got with Tony Stewart. Thinking he murdered a guy that he didn't even have a reason to be angry with.

It's easy to give the NFL crap, and most of it is deserved, but I have absolutely no clue what was going on in the head of the prosecutor who saw THAT tape, read the report of Janay Rice's injuries and decided some anger management classes were the answer. It doesn't matter if she didn't want to co-operate: he could have killed her easily. It would not have been hard to push through and get him a tougher sentence.

And that goes for a lot of this stuff. Even the NFL, despite what they might like to think, aren't above the frigging law. If you actually put these guys in jail there's not much they could do.

• Like 1

So many tears in my eyes watching that clip of Cris Carter. I was talking with my girlfriend earlier about the exact same thing. I love much of what my parents did in raising, but they also fucked up with how they raised me, doing a lot of wrong shit. Now it's up to me to break that cycle so when my daughter grows up, she doesn't feel the urge to discipline her kids like that. It really hit home with me.

I am sure that when we really think about it,  most of us who can say that our parents disciplined us with spankings can only think of one or two occasions where they were actually spanked.

It was the threat of spankings that kept you in line and not the spanking itself. They are like nuclear weapons.  Your parents never really wanted to use the option, but they didn't mind keeping the threat alive.

After a certain point in time, your folks stopped spanking you and punished you in a more appropriate manner like grounding you for a week or so.

I support corporal punishment and honestly believe that if some kids were threatened with a good swatting now and then, they wouldn't grow up to be the entitled assholes they are now.  It blows my mind when parents come on talk shows and reality shows and talk about how out of control their kids are?   Parents need to fucking quit trying to be friends with their children and assume the authority roles they are supposed to. 

I get along really well with my kid, but she knows that I mean business and my decisions about stuff are final and non-negotiable.

That being said, I am not going to presume to tell Adrian Peterson how to raise his kid but Holy Shit if your son did something bad enough to deserve corporal punishment, don't let your weapon of choice be something that is going to fucking permanently injure your child. 

And you are a 200+ pound dude, man.  One swat is enough.  Let's not go all Victorian Age with the public flogging.

My friend and professional stand-up comedian, David Beck, used to have a bit about spankings.  I should see if he has reloaded it to his YouTube channel.

Hitting kids with carrots never helps, I agree.

They break too easily.  If you are going to hit your kid with a vegetable.  I suggest an ear of corn, preferably one with the husk still on.

Suffice to say that the new strategy of trying to be the buddy parent rarely, if ever, works.

• Like 1

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter  3m

Boy, Michael Sam has been a really big distraction this season, don't you think?

Yep

Not only was Michael Sam not a distraction he may have inadvertently offered the solution.

Who don't have girlfriends or (usually) kids to beat up? Gay men, of course.

Thus, NFL should only hire gay guys. Problem solved!

• Like 1

Well, gay men, celibate Tibetan monks and/or hardcore devout Christians like Tebow.

Hopefully this won't be the part of the thread where we start discussion the hypocrisy of some religious / spiritual folk and accept the fact that there are bad apples in every bunch.

Suffice to say that the new strategy of trying to be the buddy parent rarely, if ever, works.

There's a place in the middle where you're just a parent. Not a buddy and not physical threat.

• Like 2

Hitting kids with carrots never helps, I agree.

They break too easily.  If you are going to hit your kid with a vegetable.  I suggest an ear of corn, preferably one with the husk still on.

No, being a buddy parent doesn't help, but I think using corporal punishment, even sparingly, isn't the answer either. I get that it's the fear or threat of a spanking, but I don't want my daughter to fear me and I don't want her small, undeveloped mind to think that hitting is ever the answer. Plus, who is to say that they'll do the same when they have kids? It's entirely possible they think that corporal punishment is the right move, but where you didn't take things too far, it's possible they might, and the cycle could repeat. It's a personal choice, but that's just my reason to avoid it. Better to just not have the risk of anything I described altogether.

Then again, I also find parenting to be the luck of the draw and you come up craps more than you win sometimes.

There's a place in the middle where you're just a parent. Not a buddy and not physical threat.

I agree and engaged parents, like you and me, who are genuinely interested in their child's development will find the middle ground.

Corporal punishers will become tyrants who end up teaching their children that might equals right and then those kids will go out and find someone (or raise a child) that they can enforce their will on (ie. bullying), and buddy parents will end up with entitled brats that walk all over them.

If I want my child to trust me, I have to present myself as someone worthy of trust and If I want respect, I have to present myself as a respectable person.

Kids will follow your example, so set a good one and send clear signals.  Don't want your kid to smoke?  Don't smoke cigarettes or quit smoking.  Not all of this shit is rocket science.

I think one potential step to decrease stuff like this is to stop letting these guys coast through college as easily as they do. Anyone remember the Florida State scandal a while back?

Granted, further education isn't 100% the answer here but I feel a lot of these guys just need to have a better perspective on the world and be taught to use their brains a bit more. Their college years are arguably the only real time you have to get through to them. A smart, educated guy is a lot more likely to realize you shouldn't be fucking up your million dollar contract by getting into brawls at nightclub and/or carrying around unlicensed guns.