DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

For starters, they could have put a woman on the investigation panel.  That would have been a start.  3 connected NFL guys makes it look like they are protecting themselves.

The smart move would be to move Goodell out and slide in someone new while telling the NFLPA that the Code of Conduct policies would be replaced.  Part of the problem is that short of committing murder the teams and league will cover up everything.  

He does not have to be fired.  He can step down but keep the title until a successor is named.

One step closer to Commissioner Condaleeza Rice...

Isn't she already busy on the NCAA tournament panel? I also could swear Rice wondered why she was even on the panel. Maybe the context for that is, "I wonder why I'm on this panel, when I should be the NFL commish."

She pays good money to her PR firm.  

You could get someone from the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence since they are trumpeting October as National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.  Mariska Hargitay from Law and Order:  SVU is a supporter. 

The NFL owners do not want to have to fire Goodell. He has made them a ton of fucking money on top of the ton of money they already had and saved their asses on lawsuits, etc. Goodell is only going to lose his job if someone can actually prove that he saw the tape and lied about it.

People keep saying this, but I can't understand how he makes them more money than the next person would.  He is just a guy in a suit who is essentially selling a product that can't fail.  Are you seriously telling me that this dude, who thinks it's a good idea to keep lying about shit when the truth will do, is the single most qualified person to be the commissioner of the NFL?  There is no one else that would accept a $40+ million dollar job to not fuck up and lie about it?  Seriously, this wouldn't be an issue if he just told the truth about seeing that video.  Their issue is that everyone can see through their lies.

A number of people have mentioned Goodell is not a lawyer like most commissioners and might not have the structured thinking necessary to cope with everything that job entails.

Just what kind of dazzling leadership does it make to ask for more money from sponsors/partners?

Asking and getting are two entirely different skills. Factor in that he beat the union during the last contract negotiations, and he's making the owners a lot of money.

But is that HIM or the negotiating team, be it the league consul or owners like Jerry or Kraft?

Listen, the NFL is essentially the #1 television property in the United States, selling it isn't exactly ice to an Eskimo.  Even if it was, they already have the money, keeping him around weaving these tales isn't making them another dime.  Wasn't he sweeping up the parking lot a few years ago?  This dude is not some sort of business genius.  One of the first things I learned when I got my first management position was that owning up to your mistakes is much better than trying to cover them up.  Everything will eventually come to the light, and the more you try to bury it the worse it will get.  I really think they keep him around because they know he won't say no to any of their bullshit.  He is basically their puppet (thanks Burgundy) who dances for the owners when the bullets start flying.

I think Goodell being a puppet is sort of the point.  Sure, the owners could find someone better qualified.  But would that person put up with all their garbage?  $45 million a year is a lot of money.  But good grief--dealing with Jones, Synder and Irsay may take 20 years off your life.  Not to mention the basic everyday craziness the job entails. With Goodell, they know he doesn't mind sticking it to the players and fans.  And he's willing to cover for their asses to boot.

For lack of a better phrase, Goodell is the devil the owners know, and they'll keep dealing with him as long as it benefits them.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11509397/ray-rice-told-nfl-roger-goodell-june-had-hit-wife

Well then. . . Ray Rice is a piece of shit, but it seems like he told the NFL authority's a accurate picture of what he did. . . 

Cowherd is a bag of hot air, but he said something accurate this morning--at this point, Ray Rice is probably the only person in this mess who's telling the complete truth.

• Like 1

I can almost understand men wearing Ray Rice jerseys because of the celebrity and well we do love being jerks in public sometimes.   But women wearing Ray Rice jerseys make no sense to me.  They showed a couple on Fox Sports 1 and it was the usual "I don't support domestic violence but he should be able to defend himself" line.  

Honestly, I'm not suprised.  My Facebook feed had plenty of "NFL Overreached, Rice was justified, He'll get better with counciling" and the outstanding "She deserved it, because she started it", and that's just coming from the women.

Whoever wrote that for James Brown is a winner. I gotta show that to my wife. Our T-Ball coach told one of the kids he was throwing like a girl and my wife stood up and said "HEY." Nipped that shit right then and there. 

Ugh.... stoopid me for reading the youtube comments

From the "Athletes Saying Stupid Shit Defending Their 'Thin Blue Line'" files:

I don't condone hittin women or think it's coo BUT if SHE ain't trippin then I ain't trippin.. Lets keep it movin lol let that man play!

— Paul George (@Yg_Trece) September 11, 2014

If you in a relationship and a woman hit you first and attacking YOU.. Then you obviously ain't beatin HER. Homie made A bad choice! #StayUp

— Paul George (@Yg_Trece) September 11, 2014

About 15 minutes later, both of these were deleted and he tweeted: 

Paul George         @Yg_Trece

Let me apologize to the women and to the VICTIMS of domestic violence people my intent was not to downplay the situation..

Larry Bird later said Paul George was told in those 15 minutes what a massively stupid idea it was to tweet the above.

How would you want it delivered? Really, I'm interested.

No problem.  In my own opinion, and YMMV, it needed to be delivered with no "style" at all, like a real human being just talking to you.  Less polished, more off the cuff, or how about do away with the script entirely?  Maybe it's my nigh worthless  mass comm degree talking but the way he did it came off as really phony.  There's broadcasting and there's talking.  He came off like a polished broadcaster just broadcasting some bit of info, not a real person expressing an urgent opinion on a very important subject.