DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

Ravens terminate Ray Rice's contract.

So. . .who signs him?

This year?  No one.  No one is going to want to go near that with a 10 foot cattle prod. Its an instant shitshow if they try it.

Next year, maybe someone needing RB help will take a flyer depending on if things cool off.

If he gets counseling and makes a humble public apology someone will take a flyer on him.  It is all on Ray Rice now.

So. . .who signs him?

This year?  No one.  No one is going to want to go near that with a 10 foot cattle prod. Its an instant shitshow if they try it.

Next year, maybe someone needing RB help will take a flyer depending on if things cool off.

If he gets counseling and makes a humble public apology someone will take a flyer on him.  It is all on Ray Rice now.

No forgiveness will come this season.   A smart man would just take the cash from the contract buy-out and sit out for the rest of the year. 

No team will pick him up right now because they don't want to risk having their endorsements pulled.

So. . .who signs him?

No forgiveness will come this season.   A smart man would just take the contract buy-out and sit out for the rest of the year.

He will have to wait until next season for a second chance.

Take the time, get the necessary counseling, be humble in your apology.

He can get a second chance if he works for it but it is a lot of work.

So knocking out your wife gets a 2 game ban from the league and no punishment from the team as long as no one sees the video...but as soon as someone sees the video you get thrown off the team.  So beating your wife off camera gets you 2 games, but in front of a camera gets you fired?  How about beating your wife, on or off camera gets the same exact punishment?  This is in my opinion worse because we all knew that he hit his wife, but they didn't care until the video went public. 

• Like 2

So knocking out your wife gets a 2 game ban from the league and no punishment from the team as long as no one sees the video...

While accidentally shooting yourself in the leg gets you suspended until further notice... and then sent to prison...

Suspended indefinitely.

I swear, if Goodell and/or Co. saw the video and only gave him 2 games before it went public, its time for a good old fashoined torches and pitchforks mob on the Executive offices.

I'd note that in Burress' case, his negligence with a firearm could easily have ended with someone ELSE getting shot, possibly fatally.

And that NY is not a conceal carry state/city, and the gun wasn't registered... or his...

I'd note that in Burress' case, his negligence with a firearm could easily have ended with someone ELSE getting shot, possibly fatally.

While this is a true statement, it is still hypothetical.  The things that got Plaxico into trouble with the league were the weapons charges, not the potential for harming someone else.

We're dealing with similar duality here with Rice, IMO.  It's not the assault that appeared to be final straw; it was Rice attempting to cover up the incident and then trying to spin it after it came to the public eye..

Have no fear - ESPN had Matthew Berry on to discuss who you look for on the waiver wire to replace Ray Rice.

I will bet that OTL will be absolutely unbearable this evening..   I may jump on the gaming console and start my laundry early tonight.

Am I the only one who thinks the video shouldn't matter?  Everyone knew that he knocked his wife unconscious months ago, why is everyone up in arms now?  We knew this is what happened, whether or not we watched him do it should be irrelevant. 

• Like 4

Aw, tomight of all nights I'm sad that my NY and Philly ESPN plays local guys on the evening drive (Philly's are un-fucking-bearable).  Although Mike and Mike should be great fun tomorrow morning.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons  44m

Goodell's ability to keep screwing up signature decisions is unparalleled. I don't trust him to organize a fast-food order at this point.

He also said that if the Ravens don't waive Rice they are cowards.   If I was the Ravens I would waive him because of what he did and because it looks like he hit the running back wall.   

meanwhile Greg hardy of the Panthers is  biting his nails to the core with all of this guns because as far as I know they still haven't made a decision on that one.

Not that i disagree with him, but you know Simmons would be saying something else if it was a Patriot. . .

Nah, Simmons has an anti-NFL agenda now since he got it into his head that the NBA has a shot at supplanting them as the number one pro sports league in the US.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks the video shouldn't matter?  Everyone knew that he knocked his wife unconscious months ago, why is everyone up in arms now?  We knew this is what happened, whether or not we watched him do it should be irrelevant. 

No, you're not.  The problem is, without the video and the woman marrying him right away to kill off ACPD and NJSP's ability to get her supena'd to press charges, it was hard to say for sure he did it.  The video makes it irrefutable.  

Boy everyone is trying to sneak in their news now.

Besides the Penn State thing - NJ just announced it was going to allow sports betting.

AND YOU HAVE A NEWS STORY TO BURY!

AND YOU HAVE A NEWS STORY TO BURY!

• Like 3

What Raziel said. Both Ray and Janay had been cited earlier for a physical altercation so without a video to refute that, he could've spun it that the reason he struck Janay was because he felt she was about to attack him again.

The video clearly shows that Rice's response was not in proportion to Janay's provocation.    She jumps in his face, but she doesn't strike him.  Ray throws the first and only punch.

Whoever posted this for the Raven should be banned as well:

Janay Rice says she deeply regrets the role that she played the night of the incident.

WTF?! Are you kidding me?

Indeed.  If she regrets it so much, why doesn't she tweet this herself? 

I call bullshit.

• Like 1