DVDVR Message Board

TNA NEWS and DISCUSSION THREAD

jaedmc

He's also very believable and brings a ton of raw emotion to the announce table.

In all seriousness, if you're going for cool, Tenay is not someone you want.

You wouldn't a creepy old guy screaming puppies if you were going for cool. Wouldn't want a fat guy in a cowboy hat, with a thick Southern accent, that tells stories of killing puppies either. They made it work though. Cool announcers isn't very high on the list of TNA's problems.If Tenay had half as much ability as Ross to sell an angle or show some genuine emotion, I'd forgive his lack of coolness. He does not.

And I so love this idea of TNA "starving their talent." So dramatic. If they don't like what they're being paid they should look elsewhere for employment, like any other adult.

The commentators aren't supposed to be cool.  They're supposed to be credible.  Which Tenay and Taz aren't on their own.  They were actually pretty good at times with the 3-man booth with Todd Keneley doing PBP, Tenay dropping in factoids, and Taz doing analysis but it didn't take long for Taz to become a bitch as WWE commentators do when they think their spot is being threatened.

The TNA name isn't a real detriment.  A lot of people think Impact is just another WWE show.  To most people, wrestling is simply WWE.  Even when WCW was red hot it would still get referenced by the media as 'WWF'.  The only people that get up in arms about TNA's stupid name are hardcore wrestling fans.

Roode's contract expired while he was Tag Champions with Aries.  WWE didn't make any play for him.  Prichard didn't get the paperwork done in a timely manner because he's Bruce Prichard.  Which is another major problem TNA has.  Dixie Carter hires ex-WWE employees and places them in important positions based on them being ex-WWE employees probably with the thinking that they've worked for the best so they must also be the best.  The problem is that WWE is a machine and most of those guys were expendable cogs so someone like Prichard could slack off there for years and there would be plenty of other people there to pick up the slack.  It's also bad that TNA's television presentation ends up so closely resembling WWE's dated presentation.

ECW's almost 20 years dead.  Way too much of TNA's New York shows were devoted to putting over ECW.  Those kids in the audience couldn't possibly give a shit about ECW.  TNA's focus should be building up their own brand not constantly putting over dead ECW.

Shera was signed as basically a joint promotion with their TV partner in India.  Sony Six may be footing the bill for him.

I agree on the 3-man booth. Really enjoyed Keneley.

The announcers don't have to be cool, per se, but when their dorkiness takes away from angles, its a problem. Tenay's biggest problem is that he can't put anything over in any kind of believable manner.

He's also very believable and brings a ton of raw emotion to the announce table.

In all seriousness, if you're going for cool, Tenay is not someone you want.

You wouldn't a creepy old guy screaming puppies if you were going for cool. Wouldn't want a fat guy in a cowboy hat, with a thick Southern accent, that tells stories of killing puppies either. They made it work though. Cool announcers isn't very high on the list of TNA's problems.
If Tenay had half as much ability as Ross to sell an angle or show some genuine emotion, I'd forgive his lack of coolness. He does not.

And I so love this idea of TNA "starving their talent." So dramatic. If they don't like what they're being paid they should look elsewhere for employment, like any other adult.

You can look at it any way you like but I compare it to a pimp taking advantage of young, naive and possibly drug addicted girls.

"Come on baby,I have national tv! You'll get a raise next year for sure baby."

The employees are dumb and the company is toxic. Do we blame minimum wage employees for being desperate in a bad job climate? We pass the blame around and some people think employers can do better to their employees.

If any of the talent was smart they wouldn't sign with TNA, that's my argument. They aren't smart so they do, but I don't think Dixie is this sweetiepie, she's an inept moron who has left a trail of broken promises and injured talent (Daffney, Sorensen), allowed talent to go to the ring fucked up (Hardy) and facilitated Angle's addiction problems by never punishing him and letting his former employer take care if his personal problems. If this were any other company shed be sued fifty times by now. Actually they have been sued (Konnan, Daffney, Sorensen let himself be brainwashed or he could've, Steiner destroyed his own case but he could've had a good one).

TNA needs to die. The sooner the better. Supporting TNA is to not sort wrestling and I'm not alone. Shane Douglas, various ECW talent and a good chunk of the Knockouts said the exact same.

I'm no longer worried about Jae locking his this thread.

Backtracking physical locations from the user's ip addresses and calling in an airstrike is beginning to seem like a realistic concern, however.  This may be my last post in the thread.  I don't like the smell of napalm in the morning.  Or evening.  Or anytime, really.

You can look at it any way you like but I compare it to a pimp taking advantage of young, naive and possibly drug addicted girls.

... And they have been doing it so long most of their regular and talented girls have left and the only girls they can attract are the ones fresh off the boat looking to make it big in the US via British Bootcamp.

I still can't believe that UK wrestlers clamber aboard to audition for that show.

• Like 1

thee finest in armchair analysis, happening live, right here!

For only $9.99! Oh wait, wrong company.

... And they have been doing it so long most of their regular and talented girls have left and the only girls they can attract are the ones fresh off the boat looking to make it big in the US via British Bootcamp.

I still can't believe that UK wrestlers clamber aboard to audition for that show.

Rockstar Spud is currently a major character on TNA TV every week thanks to the show - so TNA has actually done more with their Tough Enough ripoff than WWE actually did with Tough Enough.

What else is there? WWE will have the odd tryout there, and if you know the right people, you can maybe get looked at by NJPW, but absent that, what else can you do in the UK to try to get your name out there to the US or Japan?

• Like 1

Really, what more is there to say?

Bobby Lashley is awesome.

As are EC3 and Spud.

A little excerpt from a TNA Knockout Taryn Tarrell about how the company treats them like shit--

The future of TNA and working for Dixie Carter:

"This company is not going away – there’s no way. I’m not concerned. Wherever we go or end up, TNA Wrestling is here to stay. There’s that connection and understanding with Dixie. I don’t know if I had a child and I was with another company, if I’d be able to come back and do exactly what I’ve done. If I can’t be as active on a certain day or if there’s an opportunity I can’t take advantage of because I have a child at home, they understand."

What else is there? WWE will have the odd tryout there, and if you know the right people, you can maybe get looked at by NJPW, but absent that, what else can you do in the UK to try to get your name out there to the US or Japan?

True, I feel bad for the decent UK guys like Rampage Brown, Dave Mastiff and Grado, all 3 deserve a shot on a bigger level than the UK indies, it's just a shame that TNA is their only option.

Now I wish Mastiff and Brown would end up in New Japan.

Really, what more is there to say?

Bobby Lashley is awesome.

As are EC3 and Spud.

A little excerpt from a TNA Knockout Taryn Tarrell about how the company treats them like shit--

The future of TNA and working for Dixie Carter:

"This company is not going away – there’s no way. I’m not concerned. Wherever we go or end up, TNA Wrestling is here to stay. There’s that connection and understanding with Dixie. I don’t know if I had a child and I was with another company, if I’d be able to come back and do exactly what I’ve done. If I can’t be as active on a certain day or if there’s an opportunity I can’t take advantage of because I have a child at home, they understand."

Like any good part-time job.

• Like 1

TNA has been full-time at points though, and asked people to relocate to OVW full-time. Additionally, they've often made it harder for their talent to get other bookings.

Part-time or not, when you want to be taken seriously as a WWE-altenative you don't want your talent on food stamps or working Sunglasses Hut.  Which bit of that do you not get?

The mathematical part that says they can't afford to pay people what YOU think they should be making.

TNA is an alternative because they offer a reduced, flexible schedule. IE part time. To no ones surprise, with that comes less money.

The only thing they're unreasonable about is not allowing talents to work indies. They should be allowed to work anything that doesn't have national TV or pay per view. They shouldn't be allowed to use names that TNA comes up with though.

The mathematical part that says they can't afford to pay people what YOU think they should be making.

Oh fuck. EN090 said something I agree with.

They have talent on food stamps. If I'm going to be impressed by these "stars"to the point that I want to pay to see them fight they shouldn't be on Fuckin food stamps.

Is TNA trying to grow and one day challenge the larger company in some way (because Dixie sure acts like it) or are they an Indy feeder system? Blah blah blah fuck TNA.