DVDVR Message Board

TNA NEWS and DISCUSSION THREAD

jaedmc

TNA also continues to lead to the credence that WWE is the best-in-the-world and that ANYONE who came from WWE is worth a million dollars despite actual talent. TNA had its chance on MULTIPLE occasions and the company has fucked up. Its time for someone else to fill the role. TNA isn't innovative- its just there. This is why when TNA goes out-of-business there will be sadness and frustration for 2-3 weeks, but after that- everyone will move on and by the end-of-the-year- no one will care. TNA has made no significant impact on the business.

That line got me thinking about how Heyman would bring in guys from the big 2 and, with a few exceptions, books up and job them out to his own talent. Spike Dudley walked all over PN News and I have to wonder if TNA wouldn't of made him a grand slam champion in the same atmosphere.

And I agree, when TNA dies or limos along, whichever is worse, there won't be any eulogies or "can the business survive" articles.it'll be a giant joke and a sigh if relief like watching a relative pass away of cancer. At least it's out of it's misery.

TNA also continues to lead to the credence that WWE is the best-in-the-world and that ANYONE who came from WWE is worth a million dollars despite actual talent. TNA had its chance on MULTIPLE occasions and the company has fucked up. Its time for someone else to fill the role. TNA isn't innovative- its just there. This is why when TNA goes out-of-business there will be sadness and frustration for 2-3 weeks, but after that- everyone will move on and by the end-of-the-year- no one will care. TNA has made no significant impact on the business.

That line got me thinking about how Heyman would bring in guys from the big 2 and, with a few exceptions, books up and job them out to his own talent. Spike Dudley walked all over PN News and I have to wonder if TNA wouldn't of made him a grand slam champion in the same atmosphere.

It actually got me thinking about how they brought Sid and had him squash all three of the Dudleyz in 1 segment.

The notion that TNA influences anyone by doing authority angles and therefor should die is hilariously bad logic. Like other promotions can't think for themselves and decide to copy TNA of all companies.

That was an angle. They never just put all their titles on him and there's far for examples of the former. Seriously, tell me one other example where a "star"was used in any other role than a quick heat angle or to put over someone else. Bam Bam was an active member of the roster and still put over RVD, Taz, Shane and Spike, Rude was an angle guy and nothing more, Public Enemy came back only to put over others, Doink was the same, at the end they added a lot of the WCW luchadores and they all ate kicks from Tajiri. Mable was put into the FBI and squashed. Sid is about the only one I can think of that came in and went over.

RE: Authority angles and its negative impact on pro wrestling in the 21st century

The model is old. It worked with Bischoff/NWO vs. WCW and the model continued to prove successful with Austin/McMahon. It has not worked since. Please name me ONE heel authority figure vs. main star angle that drew more money then the two previously mentioned? None. This model been pro wrestling's crutch for a long time and has hurt the business. Guys like Colt Cabana get sent home and told 'creative has nothing for you'. That's because creative is making sure to write no-less-than 5 segments featuring authority figures talking and 'making decisions'. Wrestling companies going to TV are scared shitless. They know WWE wasn't able to move mountains earlier this year and realize that TNA has been playing as close to WWE as possible and because of that TNA has managed to surpass the number of WCW Nitro episodes. TNA has been on TV for 10 years and PPV for 12 years.

TNA has set the bar low and everyone is taking note. Lucha Underground was suppose to be something different. It was suppose to be something different than WWE and TNA.The first A angle of the new company involves a heel authority figure and *spoilers* a stable. If TNA would have strayed away from the authority figure/power struggle angles- I believe Lucha Underground and others would then be brave enough to take risks. In the 90's everyone took risks. Now, everyone is copying the same-old-same-old stuff from current WWE. Being WWE Lite got TNA 10 years on TV, 12 years on PPV, a working relationship with AAA, a working relationship with NJPW, etc. Why innovate? Why be different? Why step out-of-the-box? People don't know if anything outside of what WWE is doing will work and TNA in its 12 years did everything in its power to keep the question unanswered.

I use to be a TNA fan, but its just gotten silly. Its time to fold up.

• Like 1

Christ, you're talking about a fucking company that put their belt on a damn near 50-year old Terry Funk, the artist formaly known as Aldo Montoya, among others. Really?

Everyone likes to talk about how there are money marks out there and other companies that can take TNA's place. They should feel free to go ahead and try. Make no mistake and shit on them all you want, but they DID get 10 years on national TV and DID make it further than anyone else,. If there's another company out there that has a product which can draw better than TNA, they should find a money mark and get on national TV. Since an embarasssment like TNA can do it, shouldn't be that hard, right?

Christ, you're talking about a fucking company that put their belt on a damn near 50-year old Terry Funk, the artist formaly known as Aldo Montoya, among others. Really?

Dude, Terry Funk is the Fuckin man and people will put titles on him until the end of time and they never referred to Jon as Aldo, he was a totally new character.

Christ, you're talking about a fucking company that put their belt on a damn near 50-year old Terry Funk, the artist formally known as Aldo Montoya, among others. Really?

ECW? ECW might have had blips. Every company does. No one is perfect. Pro wrestling isn't perfect. ECW is not remembered as a joke. ECW is remembered as being an innovator in pro wrestling. Tons of guys made names for themselves in ECW and became bigger stars in WWF and/or WCW. ECW reunion shows in the last few years still draw between 2-5K fans. Its remembered and remembered fondly. Not like TNA. Sure, go ahead and pick out all the little mistakes of the ECW and all the booking decisions you don't agree with.

• Like 2

I was never a fan of ECW. I thought their programming was hard to follow, the production values were a joke and anyone who has a problem with TNA's level of violence or how they treat talent (which has been brought up countless times) should take a hard look at ECW, which will show them where a lot of those practices started.

Beyond that, ECW was 100% guilty of A LOT of stuff that TNA gets crapped on for doing. Sorry, but if you're going to complain about TNA pushing has-beens and WWE castoffs, don't bring up ECW because they were guilty of the same shit. Putting their world title on a beat-up, battered 50-year old Terry Funk (and allowing him to take the risks he did) and a castoff like PJ Polaco was at the time, are prime examples.

I was never a fan of ECW. I thought their programming was hard to follow, the production values were a joke and anyone who has a problem with TNA's level of violence or how they treat talent (which has been brought up countless times) should take a hard look at ECW, which will show them where a lot of those practices started.

Beyond that, ECW was 100% guilty of A LOT of stuff that TNA gets crapped on for doing. Sorry, but if you're going to complain about TNA pushing has-beens and WWE castoffs, don't bring up ECW because they were guilty of the same shit. Putting their world title on a beat-up, battered 50-year old Terry Funk (and allowing him to take the risks he did) and a castoff like PJ Polaco was at the time, are prime examples.

Ok, again, Terry Funk is an absolute idol of wrestling, not Fuckin Mr Kennedy, and he put ECW on his back and put over their talent in the end.

Credible was never referred to as.Aldo, that gimmick was dead. He was a free agent in wrestling who became an active part of the roster and it took a long time for him to become a champion. The argument is TNA putting the strap on any hasbeen desperate enough to stay in the business. They hadn't made their own stars and they sure as fuck never put their own stars above outside talent.

ECW made stars for the big leagues to pluck, TNA turns stars into nobodies and keeps their own talent below a glass ceiling.

Love TNA or hate them you got to admire their loyal fan base. They may not have grown much since debuting on Spike, but goddamnit they've managed to keep the same people tuning in week in, week out. That's one positive comparison you can make between ECW and TNA in a discussion full of negativity.

Everyone likes to talk about how there are money marks out there and other companies that can take TNA's place. They should feel free to go ahead and try. Make no mistake and shit on them all you want, but they DID get 10 years on national TV and DID make it further than anyone else,. If there's another company out there that has a product which can draw better than TNA, they should find a money mark and get on national TV. Since an embarasssment like TNA can do it, shouldn't be that hard, right?

Is finding a money mark somehow a laudable thing? 

I guess part of the problem for TNA vs ECW is ECW created the vibe they were different and cool, TNA never really had a legitimate claim as an alternative. Dixie makes sure of that. Heyman comes across as anti-authority, Dixie is the authority.

I am happy they got EC3 and Bram, who it appears WWE missed out on. Bringing in Brodus Clay was terrible though. EC3 and Bram weren't really WWE guys and have played their parts well, they feel like good finds.

You're completely right about the perception of being cool. The closest I came to feeling like TNA was cool was during the LAX push in 2006, when Konnan was cutting awesome promos and Cide was dropping AJ on his head.

Its hard to be perceived as cool when the voice of your company is MIke Tenay.

And yes, if finding a money mark means you get to make a run at a legit #2 promotion then I would consider that a good thing.

Am I reading this right? Some people are crapping on ECW because of low production values and Terry Funk? Really? Really? Look, ECW got over with their low-rent imitation of FNW because they were something different... They were the local fed that you used to watch at the Armory, Masonic Temple, or bingo hall with national exposure. They weren't WWE or NWA lite, they were different, extreme, and 50-yr old Terry Funk could work his ass off and was simply golden in his role. I'm not saying everything they did was great, the violence against women sucked, lots of the mid-card were simply not good, but Paul Heyman is great at getting the most out what he has to work with. I didn't really object to Justin Credible as champ, it helped sell the idea that any wrestler on any given night could go over. The fact that he was also quite capable of having a decent match with just about anyone helped, no, he never had a particularly great match but he was always okay.

TNA has never been cool or alternative. You don't get the "cool" vibe when JJ is the face of your company. The damage was done as soon as that happened and Dixie Carter is hardly an improvement.

• Like 2

It's called TNA. Companies with names like that don't get to be cool. You could have Kool Keith, LL Cool J and Carlito Carribean Cool doing commentary and the cool meter wouldn't twitch a stitch.

Tenay and Tazz are pretty terrible though. Tenay shouldn't be the lead, he should be the back up guy with information. Taz...Taz I don't know how to fix. Maybe have him drape a sweaty towel over his head before talking? 

• Like 1

It's called TNA. Companies with names like that don't get to be cool. You could have Kool Keith, LL Cool J and Carlito Carribean Cool doing commentary and the cool meter wouldn't twitch a stitch.

How about Chet Lemon and Black Snow?

He's also very believable and brings a ton of raw emotion to the announce table.

In all seriousness, if you're going for cool, Tenay is not someone you want.

You wouldn't a creepy old guy screaming puppies if you were going for cool. Wouldn't want a fat guy in a cowboy hat, with a thick Southern accent, that tells stories of killing puppies either. They made it work though. Cool announcers isn't very high on the list of TNA's problems.

What about Wrestlicious?

So Tommy Dreamer's House of Hardcore show next month is going to be shown live on IPPV, which is weird since TNA talent is all over the show.

They had to relax those rules since, you know, THEY DON'T HAVE ANY SHOWS BOOKED ABD THEIR TALENT WOULD FUCKIN STARVE! Goddamn TNA fails their talent over and over.

• Like 1