DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

We ran through the second scenario in Gloomhaven last night and fucking crushed it. We had a boss fight and everything. To make matters worse, our first fight had our enemies draw their best card in their deck against us. We survived it all though and only one of us died/exhausted, but he wanted to do he could work his way towards completing his personal quest.

I can't say enough about how awesome the game is. It also went much faster. We could have finished in under 2 hours, but we wanted to get to a treasure chest and no one minded the extra time. What really helped was using the Gloomhaven Helper app for Android. It kept track of priority, card draws, health, experience, and status effects.

I can honestly say that the game is totally worth the money.

• Like 2

I feel like with all those board games the first time setup timesink is something you just have to go through. It was the same when I tried the Dark Souls board game out, until you knew how to organize it quickly that shit takes a while. Once you get good at it and can just jump into the game it's great.

• Like 1

Yu-Gi-Oh! Official Tournament Policy v2 released last week includes the following rule:

I. Hygiene You are expected to be clean when you enter a tournament. Neglecting to wash or put on clean clothes contributes to an unpleasant atmosphere at the event, as the tournament can be crowded and the day can be long. Persons who neglect self-care to the point that they are negatively impacting the tournament may be asked to correct the issue in order to continue in the event.

How fucking bad were tournaments that they had to put taking a shower IN WRITING???

They also made it way fucking easier to cheat, but whatever.

• Like 2

Honestly...Magic has needed this for the longest time. The last tournament I played in reminded me of why I shouldn't. Almost everyone except for a couple dudes from Notre Dame, another guy who played at the shop when I used to, and myself were the only clean, non-smelly people there. Everyone us stunk like hell of BO, looked greasy as hell, had horrible breath that smelled like they were dying, etc. It's nearly a literal shit show.

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2019 at 5:09 PM, Raziel said:

Let me guess, when you roll a crit, you perform an action, except, rather than it doing more damage, you do it with no clothes on?

My copy of Batman: Gotham City Chronicles arrived today.  Hear the game is fiddly and not great but wow the miniatures. 

And for anyone who missed it on KS, there was an insert that says Season 2 coming June 4.  You should be able to get the main game plus new expansions on KS then.

Edited by ctapley

• 2 weeks later...

Been wanting an epic space opera style tabletop... like everyone else, strongly considered Twilight Imperium but concerned that game length would keep it from seeing the table regularly... found an almost too good to be true deal on eBay, and got Exodus: Proxima Centauri + Arkham Horror + Last Night on Earth, all NIB condition, for $80 total so I grabbed them.

Questions:

1. Anyone played Exodus? How is it?

2.  Hearing the expansions greatly improve the game?  Anyone able to provide insight?

3.  Are the other two games any good?  Thinking I might just re-sell them to re-coup most or all of my expense...

Got all 3 for $59 + $25 Shipping ... honestly was concerned it was a scam because it seemed way too good to be true and was an eBay purchase... but they arrived today.  All three unopened.

I have heard of Arkham Horror but not whether it is good or not.  Glad to hear it is.  Hadn’t really ever heard of Last Night on Earth.

Must admit I really am excited about Exodus - love the idea of a gigantic space opera style game that apparently plays in less than 3 hours!

Edited by ctapley

We finally got to play Superfight last night, and it was even more gloriously insane than I was hoping for. Late at night, everyone into various depths of their respective cups, the arguments just spiral into complete insanity and it's absolutely hysterical.

We had a 5 player game of Terraforming Mars the other night, which was the first time we played it. I wound up mopping up because I figured out that all of the blue cards let you combo out. That, and I funded awards and claimed all 3 milestones before anyone else did.

That's a pretty fun game that reminds me of 7 Wonders and Ticket to Ride.

Oh I'll have to hit that one up then because I love Ticket to Ride and 7 Wonders.

I'm playing my first session on Roll20 tonight. My wife asks me if I'm excited, and I'm kinda not, I guess. I've heard so many horror stories and these guys are all strangers to me, so I feel reserved until I know if the group sucks or not. I'm also more nervous that because I haven't played a game on Roll20 yet that I'll be an annoying newb who holds up the game.

But I am excited about being a player again instead of a DM. I'm also hopefully that this works, because we're going to play through Tales of the Yawning Portal, and some of those adventures I really wanted to go through.

Let us know how it goes jae...

@Pete Superfight can be glorious after enough cocktails... we have the locations and scenarios add-ons as well as numerous expansions.  It’s also hilarious to hear a table full of 12 year olds play...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Oh I'll have to hit that one up then because I love Ticket to Ride and 7 Wonders.

I'm playing my first session on Roll20 tonight. My wife asks me if I'm excited, and I'm kinda not, I guess. I've heard so many horror stories and these guys are all strangers to me, so I feel reserved until I know if the group sucks or not. I'm also more nervous that because I haven't played a game on Roll20 yet that I'll be an annoying newb who holds up the game.

But I am excited about being a player again instead of a DM. I'm also hopefully that this works, because we're going to play through Tales of the Yawning Portal, and some of those adventures I really wanted to go through.

Heh, my group is playing our first D&D session on Tabletop Simulator this Wednesday. I'm not DM'ing it, but I helped my one friend figure out how to use that program by just messing around with it. We would up downloading lots of mods, maps, figures, and other stuff. I think he has a good handle on how to play and for everyone else playing (we'll have 6 in our group including the DM) the program is intuitive enough to where we shouldn't have many problems.

I guess we're excited because 3 of us still live here about 5 to 10 minutes apart, another friend moved 45 minutes away, another moved to Iowa, and another to Socal, so this is our first time getting to play D&D as a group again in a long time. The least exciting aspect is not being there in person and I'm the only one with a web cam so us Skyping is out of the question for now. We at least have our Discord server to chat on that we normally use for DotA.

I would say if you have trouble with Roll20, give Tabletop Simulator a try. The biggest downside is that it's $20 per program, but if you can get people to chip in, they do a bundle that gives you 4 program keys for $60. 

Good luck though. I'm curious to see how Roll20 works out for you.

Allllllright so my first Roll20 Session.

Game was supposed to start at 9pm. For the DM's time zone it's still early in the evening though. Half the party was late. Being punctual is a huge pet peeve of mine. One guy was 5-10 minutes late which I wasn't super upset about but the other guy was 45 minutes late. We started without him. 

The DM was fine. He read from the book and role played well enough. I found myself doing a LOT of the talking. I hadn't planned on being a leader, as I was hoping to play off others, but it just kinda went that way. I tried to leave room for others to talk, and when there was silence I'd step in. Other times I would straight up say "Well, I'm tapped out on questions to ask, you guys got anything?" I didn't hate it, because we're all strangers speaking over Discord, so I expected people to be reserved.

The guy who was late showed up and we quickly caught him up. He spoke more than the others, which I appreciated. 

I thought the adventure was fun once we warmed up. We got to kill some rats. The DM was mostly reading from the book, and there were some moments where he wasn't sure about an answer,  but nothing to make it feel like he was woefully unprepared. He made the characters feel different, and he played off of some of my lines well.

I'd say the biggest downer of the whole evening was the super-late guy. His microphone picked up pretty much every noise he made with his mouth. He didn't mute anything. Twice he let out two fucking gnarly burps. It was disgusting. And while he was 45 minutes late. He played well for an hour, and then straight up fell asleep. We could hear him sleeping. We realized this when I said, "He why don't you take that spear that you found and see you can wedge it in the trap door so it doesn't open when we walk on it?" And the answer I got was light snoring. That's when everything slooooowed down and I felt like I was talking to myself.

I didn't want to be confrontational in the first game, because I just wanted it to work, but I'd rather not play with Late, Gross Burps Guy who falls sleep in the last third of the game. 

Honestly, whenever I play with all guys, I hate it. I need female energy at the table, man. Most of my friends are women and I rarely ever hang out with just dudes. So I never really feel comfortable when it's just guys, and I think having women at the table diversifies the perspective and attitude of the table.

Overall, for my first game, I got to see a lot of positives and some negatives. I'm hopeful for the next session that we'll get more comfortable as a team. I also think that if it doesn't work out that I'll keep looking for other people to play with and I'll have a better idea of  how to find people I'd enjoy rolling with. 

• Like 2

I really need to plunge in on Roll20 because it's the only good option when you live in the middle of nowhere, but the last month in real life has been crazy and just shit in general. I don't really feel I have the mental energy to dedicate most days. I am sure people are gonna love my laptop's built in mic that I don't really know how to work.

@jaedmc all things considered that actually sounds like a decent enough intro to Roll20 Groups.  Nowhere near some of the horror stories I encountered back when I was more active there...

Seems like a decent amount of us are into tabletops and RPGs... would it be weird if we eventually tried to get a R20 or TS group thing going?  Anyone tried before?

Edited by ctapley

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I really need to plunge in on Roll20 because it's the only good option when you live in the middle of nowhere, but the last month in real life has been crazy and just shit in general. I don't really feel I have the mental energy to dedicate most days. I am sure people are gonna love my laptop's built in mic that I don't really know how to work.

You should be able to solve the mic thing VERY inexpensively... definitely don’t go with built-in though IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ctapley said:

@jaedmc all things considered that actually sounds like a decent enough intro to Roll20 Groups.  Nowhere near some of the horror stories I encountered back when I was more active there...

Seems like a decent amount of us are into tabletops and RPGs... would it be weird if we eventually tried to get a R20 or TS group thing going?  Anyone tried before?

I wouldn't mind if I didn't already play Gloomhaven or other board games on Thursdays and now D&D via Tabletop Simulator on Wednesdays, not to mention getting together at my house or another friend's house once or twice a month. This is all in addition to playing Dota. I think if I added another weekly game, my wife would probably leave me and for good reason.

Welp, here goes nothing tonight. 6 of us are getting together for our first D&D session over Tabletop Simulator and Discord. I already have a feeling this is going to be a shitshow. My friend who is DM'ing and I are the ones who have messed around with TTS the most and we've been urging our other friends to get on a make sure their headset works on Discord and make sure they know how to use TTS. Only one of them actually has gotten on to mess around with TTS with us. So undoubtedly we're going to be spending an hour troubleshooting problems for the other 3. Oh, and to make things even more disjointed, we think our one friend who was going to play tonight went and took an impromptu vacation to the Dominican Republic this morning...

Must be nice to make a shit load of money and just up and decide to fly off to the DR.

Nah, everyone surprisingly showed up when it looked like a couple were going to drop out.

3QAHaWP.jpg

We're using pawns as townspeople, but my Goliath Fighter (Gladiator background) is off by the clocktower. Most of the other actual miniatures are our characters, but some are pirates who are attacking townspeople.

Edited by Craig H