DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

41 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Heads up. There are a shit ton of rpg zines on KickStarter right now, and some look so fuckin fun. I've already backed several. Lots of new fresh creators from different backgrounds than the typical TTRPG set.

My wife and I fall in and out of Critical Role because sometimes it can be a little tedious(like any live play series) - but the last few games have been phenomenal. I probably won't be going for Wildemount because I'm not interested in running Mercer's world - BUT I totally want to learn more about the Dunamancy magic. That's some fun stuff.

I marked out so fucking hard for the cupcake w/ dust of deliciousness. One of the best power moves I've seen/read about. Up there with the counterspell against Vecna.

Backed the Flextale encounter generator KickStarter. Seems really helpful for pulling something out of one's ass when one is too tired to plan, OR, to supplement one's plans when things go off the rails or need an interesting kick in the ass. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those that use DnD Beyond, they are adding a combat tracker that works in concert with their encounter builder. It's in alpha for subscribers. Improved Initiative (plus Kobold Fight Club) is the gold standard for these things but it's great that we'll have a lite version included on Beyond in the near future. Won't be able to import bestiaries from third parties but it's good for official content. 

• 4 weeks later...

Exalted Funeral has a ton of free indie RPG zine PDFs for FREE right now: https://www.exaltedfuneral.com/collections/free-pdf

Also I'm migrating from Roll20 to ASTRAL, (astraltabletop.com). It's not as developed in certain areas but I really really like it. And if you tell them what features you want added they work really hard to make it happen. They're giving everyone all the premium subscription stuff for FREE until April if you want to check it out. 

I just finished running my first two games there and it was a blast. 

I'm gonna be using Foundry VTT to hook up battle maps on the TV case my dad was kind enough to build for me as a birthday present. Like a one time payment for Roll 20 but more customizable from my understanding*. It totally seemed obtuse to me at the start, as in it's not the most intuitive system but it doesn't take long. I went over the basics with a friend who is currently running Hoard/Rise of Tiamat (that fuckin' slog tho, even with spicin' it up!) and we should be good to go! Excited!

Edit: *though as I'm just playing locally, I think there are hosting limits when playing online and they have a subscription service called The Forge. 

Edited by Oyaji

14 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I'm gonna be using Foundry VTT to hook up battle maps on the TV case my dad was kind enough to build for me as a birthday present. Like a one time payment for Roll 20 but more customizable from my understanding*. It totally seemed obtuse to me at the start, as in it's not the most intuitive system but it doesn't take long. I went over the basics with a friend who is currently running Hoard/Rise of Tiamat (that fuckin' slog tho, even with spicin' it up!) and we should be good to go! Excited!

Edit: *though as I'm just playing locally, I think there are hosting limits when playing online and they have a subscription service called The Forge. 

I've tried playing Horde of the Dragon Queen twice. After that first camp infiltration it loses steam for me. My DM added a couple of side quests/encounters that were better than the story and I was like "fuck this dragon queen, let's do more of that."

I even picked it out. I was like SURELY it's got something cool to do at the end. I just didn't want to do what needed to be done to get there.

We are nearing the end of the first book. We knew it was the least enjoyed campaign but my friend loves a dragon so he went with it anyway. He did a lot of research into Faerun and added some side quests, some based on the lore. Still we spent so many sessions on that road to Waterdeep stuck at level 4. It's been better once you stop the travel slog and we are starting to interact with actual, honest to God dragons. 

I'm going to run Strahd after this and then give a homebrew epic a shot if this group is still into it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

We are nearing the end of the first book. We knew it was the least enjoyed campaign but my friend loves a dragon so he went with it anyway. He did a lot of research into Faerun and added some side quests, some based on the lore. Still we spent so many sessions on that road to Waterdeep stuck at level 4. It's been better once you stop the travel slog and we are starting to interact with actual, honest to God dragons. 

I'm going to run Strahd after this and then give a homebrew epic a shot if this group is still into it. 

Level 4 travel to Waterdeep. whoooooo boy. That was the spot.

I got Strahd for Christmas. It was one of the pitches for a campaign that I gave the players this last week.

My pitches were 1. A desert themed game with tomb raiding and politics(Two parts Indiana Jones/One Part Game of Thrones). 2. Was Strahd. 3. Was based on Kobold Press's Margreve Forest, where the forest has mechanics for being a living creature, and the characters are investigators checking on the strange and bizarre. So X-Files In the Yukon.

they picked 3 and we started last night. Went well.

For the other group I've been running a 5e version of Age of Worms(which was a serialized adventure in Dungeon Magazine during the 3.5 era.) We were running like once a month before and now it looks like we're going to be going once or twice a week.

OH AND FOR BOARD GAME PLAYERS

there's a few Escape Room style games out there. We've played a few and out favorite are the EXIT games from Kosmos. They have a newer series called Adventure Games, that take their Exit Room system and make it into a more story driven game. It plays like a point click game but on your kitchen table, and can be played over a couple of sessions.

We played Monochrome Inc, which was a lot of fun.

And we picked up the Dungeon one for our Quarantine activites. Here's the BGG link if anyone is looking for something to order: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/57030/kosmos-adventure-games-series

• Like 1

I really love Tokaido. I got it for my birthday 3 years ago or so and it saw heavy play for a little bit. Easy to pick up and play and everyone has their own strategy to win. It's kind of like a mini version of 7 Wonders.

And man do I wish there were an online version of 7 Wonders right now, but my friends and I have been playing the mod for it on Tabletop Simulator when we're not doing D&D campaigns. It works well enough, but it would be nice to have something official. 

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t confirmed myself yet but apparently WOTC is releasing D&D (AL mostly) content on their website for free to provide entertainment during social distancing time.

about to check it out - saw article on io9... article claims a nice mix has been released already with daily additions...

Edited by ctapley

I’m currently running a Waterdeep: Dragon Heist campaign for some friends and having a ton of fun, but It’s sadly only got 2 players right now. 

I also really really want to join a game, but I’m currently waiting on laptop repairs so my only option is try to Roll20 on my tablet. I’ve got a Warlock, Cleric, and Figher prepped and the wait to play is killing me.

TaleSpire launched their closed beta yesterday. It's pretty bare bones but what they've included for assets are gorgeous. I thought they'd have an STL importer but apparently not. 

There's already a website dedicated to hosting and sharing creations, with some users creating some really cool content like the goblin cave from Phandelver or the gates of Barovia. Downsides with the program other than restrictive assets in beta are: it doesn't run through a website like Roll20, Foundry, countless other VTTs; it requires everybody to have a copy of the program. The other is that it's very likely to struggle on my friends' computers but I'm giving them keys I got with my copy to see how it runs.

I've been playing a ton of online RPG. A couple weeks ago I played my first Dungeon Crawl Classics game "at" Gary Con, and it was a lot of fun. I've also ran a game of  TROIKA! which is crazy good fun and very rules-light.

Last night was my first time running MOTHERSHIP, which is a sci-fi horror game in the Aliens vein. Player characters are very squishy and death is pretty much always on the table. The Mothership handbook is free and you can get the PDF here: http://www.tuesdayknightgames.com/mothership With Mothership, I just ran it over Discord Voice, and we did dice rolls using a bot so every one could see the fails and successes. 

ALSO  HEADS UP!

The website tabletop.events, which is used for many of the conventions to organize what games you play on, is financially strapped because of all the cancellations. In response they've decided to hold a virtual convention. It's not just rpgs, there are also virtual board games being played, including some prototypes. A badge is as cheap as TWO BUCKS, and it doesn't cost anything else to register for a game. So if you're looking for a game or want to run something yourself(it costs nothing to run a game) I highly highly recommend registering and giving it a shot. https://tabletop.events/conventions/con-of-champions/badgetypes

I'm probably going to run a few sessions myself. My industry(the entertainment one) is kinda fucked right now and I've got nothing to do. So I've decided that the way I can help is run games for people (stangers even!) because it seems to help and alleviate some stress. Human interaction!

31 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I’m currently running a Waterdeep: Dragon Heist campaign for some friends and having a ton of fun, but It’s sadly only got 2 players right now. 

I also really really want to join a game, but I’m currently waiting on laptop repairs so my only option is try to Roll20 on my tablet. I’ve got a Warlock, Cleric, and Figher prepped and the wait to play is killing me.

I might be able to help with one of these issues if you're interested.

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I've been playing a ton of online RPG. A couple weeks ago I played my first Dungeon Crawl Classics game "at" Gary Con, and it was a lot of fun. I've also ran a game of  TROIKA! which is crazy good fun and very rules-light.

Last night was my first time running MOTHERSHIP, which is a sci-fi horror game in the Aliens vein. Player characters are very squishy and death is pretty much always on the table. The Mothership handbook is free and you can get the PDF here: http://www.tuesdayknightgames.com/mothership With Mothership, I just ran it over Discord Voice, and we did dice rolls using a bot so every one could see the fails and successes. 

ALSO  HEADS UP!

The website tabletop.events, which is used for many of the conventions to organize what games you play on, is financially strapped because of all the cancellations. In response they've decided to hold a virtual convention. It's not just rpgs, there are also virtual board games being played, including some prototypes. A badge is as cheap as TWO BUCKS, and it doesn't cost anything else to register for a game. So if you're looking for a game or want to run something yourself(it costs nothing to run a game) I highly highly recommend registering and giving it a shot. https://tabletop.events/conventions/con-of-champions/badgetypes

I'm probably going to run a few sessions myself. My industry(the entertainment one) is kinda fucked right now and I've got nothing to do. So I've decided that the way I can help is run games for people (stangers even!) because it seems to help and alleviate some stress. Human interaction!

I might be able to help with one of these issues if you're interested.

Hell Yeah, that would be a blast. I’m available all week save Saturday, on vacation from work.

So with all of this social distancing, my friends and I have been playing scripted versions of 7 Wonders and Pandemic Legacy over Tabletop Simulator. I own both games so I don't feel bad playing these free mods. They both play really freaking well and it's been a way for all of us to scratch the itch of playing board games while this shit has been going on.

Next up is to give Gloomhaven a go. The cool thing with the Gloomhaven mod is that the creator of Gloomhaven made all of the assets available for free to use for Tabletop Simulator. There's a scripted mode for it where if you're playing the physical version, which four of us were, you can plug in where you left off in the game and the mod version just picks up where you left off. I tinkered around with it in my free time and I'm excited to play it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

My Gloomhaven group has just started to get back into it recently. This is useful information. Merci.

Also, I know that Tabletop Simulator was running a sale recently. If you and your buddies get it, look for the Gloomhaven mod called "Gloomhaven Fantasy Setup" or something along those lines. Off the top of my head, it's definitely "Gloomhaven Fantasy ______."

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. The Mythic version is enticing...Can I part with $150 for this...

EDIT: Wow. $30 for shipping and an additional $12 in taxes makes it closer to $200. I'll sadly pass on this.

Edited by Craig H

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got back into D&D. Had a hard time finding a game to play in, so I created a World (I drew a map, and accidentally extrapolated 10,000 years of Myth, Legend and History from it) and started DMing instead. Got a crew of players together and we're regular every Friday on Discord.

So I said, almost as a joke, that I would possibly run a one-shot on Christmas, because we're all locked down and tiered up. But I couldn't actually think of an idea for it, for a while. But now, now I've come up with one. If anyone wants here plays D&D and wants in, we're starting at 1500 GMT so you'll have to get up early.

If no-one wants in, I'll tell you what I'm doing.

• Like 2