DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

On 5/29/2018 at 10:58 PM, Death From Above said:

Shit, off the top of my head I don't even think there's a warlock or a druid in that section at all, though I might be wrong.

There's a "Druid". It's level 4. For a warlock you need to go to Volo's Guide.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok, so i discovered today that Parker Brothers numbered all of their products, specifically their board games. I can't figure out their numbering scheme. For example, on my game shelf i have #138 Six Million Dollar Man, #739 Barney Miller, #26 Payday, & # 390 Sorry, amongst others. these don't seem to be chronological or alphabetical. Has anyone ever run across a full Parker Brothers list, online or otherwise?

I cannot contain my curiosity and don't want to scour eBay looking for obscure games and their numbers, but i can't find anything via Google. Help?

On 5/29/2018 at 9:17 PM, Death From Above said:

Warning: Dungeons and Dragons terminology incoming.

Trying to figure out the CR for custom-made NPC's in 5e is harder than it needs to be and it's bizarre no specific, clear ruleset exists within the game for this exact purpose. There are a ton of generalizations, and the charts for making custom monsters, also a few paragraphs here and there on custom NPC enemies, but nothing that specifically relates to "hey I made this evil level 8 wizard the party has been chasing down and he has all the powers/skills a normal PC would have, thus his CR = this". It's more an issue for me of "how much experience should this guy be worth" more so than "is he too weak or strong", since the party's own level make that part relatively easy. Given how many main antagonists in campaigns are going to be exactly that kind of character, this seems like a really inexplicable gap in the rules to me that I find annoying.

Waaaaaaaay late on this but I fiddle around with this generator: https://rpgtinker.com/ I used it to help build my big bad magic caster. It pre-loads spells, so I go through and adjust those to better suit my needs, but having that quick statblock, with spell slots and levels is super helpful.

I love monster books(official and 3rd party) and have several. After a after a while of dm'ing I've just started to get a feel for the rating, when creating my custom npcs. It could totally be better explained, because when I first started customizing I was confused as fuck. But after a lot of fiddling I've gotten pretty comfortable with estimating.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

They appear to be a numbering system for the printers, for which graphic goes with which game.  That's why they don't make sense.

where did you find this out? i am looking for more info on the whole process.

• 3 weeks later...

I debated posting this in the weird commercials thread in the TV section, but the REAL audience for it is over here. So here you go. A four and a half minute promo for the Shadowrun roleplaying system. 

This is the White Castle of Fear of RPG ads. You have been warned that it is just THAT GOOD.

• Like 1

Oh that's good. Running in shadows and breaking boxes. 

You inspired me to find the instructional video for the Dragonstryke boardgame. My cousin and I probably watched this 30 minute EPIC  more that we actually played the game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Every time I have some money to dispose of from my entertainment budget, Gloomhaven is either out of stock or being sold between $160 and $170. If it would just get down to $130 I'd take the plunge.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, jaedmc said:

Oh that's good. Running in shadows and breaking boxes. 

You inspired me to find the instructional video for the Dragonstryke boardgame. My cousin and I probably watched this 30 minute EPIC  more that we actually played the game

You have encountered a Manscorpion!! Holy fuck. I love it. I love it so much in fact, that I reviewed that stupid video on the IMDB page for the game. I don't know that I ever played the game, but I watched the motherfuck out of that video! That elf when he licks the feather or whatever weird move he pulls. So goddamn good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

D&D STORY TIME

So my 10 year old dropped into my wife's game. He plays a thief and asked my wife's party to help her clear his name in a murder mystery. It went final. And then....the FINAL BATTLE.

Towards the end of the fight, a Crystaline Devil is getting it's ass beat and it flips out...charges my sons character and drops him to 0 hit points. With his first attack. Sicne he has a second attack I make a roll to decide whether the monster would continue attacking my son's fallen character. He does, and now my son has two death save fails without even rolling a die.

My wife tries to stabilize him with two different characters before he has to make a death save and FAILS both rolls. He rolls his death save knowing if he rolls under a 10 his character is dead. He looked like he was going to be sick. But he made the save and stabilized. One of my wife's character managed to throw him some hit points with a healing word. 

On my son's next turn, he stands up...rolls a Natural 20 and lands the killing blow on the devil that nearly killed him. I asked him to describe how he destroys the monster, and he did. I said, "after you've killed the crystal devil, you turn back to your party, your clothes tattered and covered in your own blood and you say....what?"

And my son thinks for a second and says....

"I'm a man."

We died laughing. Not "THE" Man. He's now "A" man. Dungeons and Dragons is fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how new it is, but 7 of us played the Choose Your Adventure board game. It's pretty awesome. We each took turns reading every time we got to a new page. Problem solving as a group was also fun. 

The only downside is that it's super long. It took us almost 4 hours to finish all 5 chapters. In hindsight, it would have been better to play a couple chapters and stop, but the couple that owned the game were from out of town and leaving today so we kinda had to finish last night. 

Anyway, I really hope they adapt more Choose Your Adventure books for these board games. If you get to the point where you can finish, then there isn't much replay value.

I actually just bought this for Halloween, but we ended up not playing that night.  

I love the idea but I wish, with the lack of replay value, they made something like TIME Stories with a high quality shell where relatively inexpensive expansions could be slotted into the existing infrastructure (granted, there's less than a handful of games in my collection that I've actually played more than a few times so 5 "chapters is actually a pretty good value).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

The concept of the game is so good. I get to play a Mexican shapeshifter that hunts and kills angels, then sells their blood as alcohol out of my bar? That's some absolutely wild shit.

I assumed you were just giving a single example of the wild shit this game supports, but clicking on the link I see it's specifically about Mexican shapeshifters who hunt angels. Huh.

Heads up to any Betrayal At the House on the Hill fans...the LEGACY version comes out next week. And unlike Pandemic Legacy, when you're done you'll have your own unique copy to replay like a normal Betrayal game.

• 3 weeks later...

Played the first two parts of Betrayal Legacy and it's already better than any time I've ever played Betrayal at House on the Hill. The idea of the original is so cool, but I never felt like I was playing it right. The rule book for Betrayal Legacy clarifies, and both haunts for the Prologue and Chapter one was exciting.

If you like the original you will absolutely like this one better, and from what I understand it's usable(and unique to you) once the campaign is over.

Another recommendation for anyone looking for something this holiday is Azul. It's a really fun abstract game and the components are gorgeous. Probably the most relaxing games in which you are basically dicking everyone over at the table.