DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

• 1 month later...

Not the type of board game normally talked about in this thread. But What the Face is a great party game.

Last weekend a friend had her birthday party. And she wanted to play board games. I had bought WTF at Dirt Cheap a few years back for a buck.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/165600/what-face

There is a decent review of the game. It is a good "hey everybody is drinking we need a game that requires not much thinking"game.

• 3 weeks later...

So, my friends and I somehow got into D&D 5e. I'm not even sure how it happened. I think someone mentioned something about giving it a shot and so we did. This is the first time I've played D&D in 11, 12, or 13 years. We had eight of us, including the DM, and it honestly was pretty fun. I made a dragonborn barbarian named Strowman and I proceeded to speak in Strowman's voice. One of the low level abilities for barbarians is a dash too, so being a dude named Strowman, I naturally would dash and run into things and grapple a lot.

So yeah, I don't know how exactly it happened, but we all got into D&D and it was fun. I really like the changes that have been made to 5e too. It's much easier to play now and everything seems like it's been streamlined.

Any other guys on here play D&D and if you do, do you guys you miniatures? I proposed the idea of using miniatures, but someone else in the group brought up how we'd have issues with line of sight and measuring distance. 

My group of over 10+ years uses mini's we also invested in gridded white boards to draw the battle area in. Helps alot with line of sight and range and such. Nothing worse then asking the DM how far you are from an baddie, then the next guy standing next to you asks the same thing and the DM gives a different answers

Oh man! We kept running into that over and over again. I was taking notes in my notebook based on the info the DM was giving, but this nearly sells me on us using miniatures. By white boards you mean dry erase ones, right? Any standard measurement conversion you use?

An inch representing five feet is pretty standard, I think.

In non-D&D news, I played my second game of 504 two weekends ago. My first game was a few months ago. It was a two-player game played with some combination of modules 9, 2, and 4 (stock ownership, racing, and military; I don't remember the order). Not a great experience. Figuring out the rules took longer than the actual game, as my opponent figured out the implications of the rules faster than I did and captured my capital out of nowhere.

This time was a three-player game played on world 712: a game where you win by controlling territorial majorities, where you get the money to buy units by picking up and delivering goods, and with racing elements. This outing was a lot more fun. It still took a while to parse the rules for this world, but it felt like an actual game. I finished second.

I'd definitely play 504 again. Don't know if I'd go for another random world, or try 712 again to see how much depth and replayability the individual worlds have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I swear, every time this gets bumped I just bought new games. The haul this month was the Spaceteam card game and the expansions for it, the Imploding Kittens expansion for Exploding Kittens, Chrononauts, and Sheriff of Nottingham.

Sheriff of Nottingham I played a couple weeks ago at a friends house and I've been dying to get it since. That game is so much fun. Late in that one everyone turned into assholes. "Hey man, I'll give you a chicken and $10 to not check my bag, but check his instead." "WHAT THE FUCK DUDE?!"

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

FYI - Wil Wheaton made a comment in passing on his blog that "TableTop's future is uncertain"

Which again isn't really a surprise since Alpha fucked everything up

Unless he's locked into a contract for another season, I can't imagine him doing it under the current setup.

That being said - it's a shame because these last two Eldritch Horror episodes have been fantastic.  My favorite shows were when they would release the extended cuts of games, and this is the closest we've gotten to that in a few seasons.  

The hilarious thing with the whole ALPHA situation is the fans have essentially just ignored it completely and treated the Youtube releases as the first run offerings - so the whole thing was pretty much a waste.  

It's Geek & Sundry's online pay streaming service that they stuck Tabletop on to try to get subscribers, then backtracked once they pissed off the entire fanbase (and creators) and admitted that the episodes would be released on Youtube about 3 months after going live on Alpha.  

24 minutes ago, CSC said:

It's Geek & Sundry's online pay streaming service that they stuck Tabletop on to try to get subscribers, then backtracked once they pissed off the entire fanbase (and creators) and admitted that the episodes would be released on Youtube about 3 months after going live on Alpha.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but its more Nerdist online pay streaming service using Geek & Sundry's name and people.

• 1 month later...

This is a one in a million shot but it does no harm to post. If anyone backed the Dark Souls board game kickstarter and is having buyer's remorse about it and wants to unload the whole package (including the expansions) for a reasonable price, I am interested. I would much rather find someone local to avoid shipping fees but that's almost certainly not happening. I don't really expect anything to come of this but what the hell, just throwing it out there.

Anyone else here play Joking Hazard? We broke it out with some friends over the weekend after getting it at NYCC and had a fucking blast... it is so rude and so damn funny.

Yeah, Joking Hazard is a riot. It's another game where if you get too many people playing then it really drags and has a sweet spot around 6 players. That's how Cards Against Humanity and other games of that ilk are too. Joking Hazard is a nice change of pace though. I already loved the comics those came from and putting that into card form was brilliant.

They don't all hit, but usually it's pretty funny.

Hosted my second DREAD game. It was pretty successful. This one was a bit more complicated in setup and I had five players playing which gave me a lot of information to juggle. The first time I hosted one it was only three players and they all made it out alive. This time two people died and it was pretty sad for both of them. I started utilizing slips of paper to have secret conversations with players, and there would be times where a player would pull and everyone else would have no clue why. Created a lot of tension and paranoia. It was a teenagers in a cabin in the woods theme and someone ends up dead. So there's a possibility it could be one of the players.

Also picked up PANDEMIC SEASON 2. So fucking stoked to play, but me and the people I played with last time are still trying to get our schedules synced up.

I'll have to look at JOKING HAZARD for Christmas gifts. The apples to apples gimmick is played on heavily these days, but if the humor is there it doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I'll have to look at JOKING HAZARD for Christmas gifts. The apples to apples gimmick is played on heavily these days, but if the humor is there it doesn't matter.

Humor is there in spades... even the cards we drew after each round were good for some great laughs. The wine we all had and the MST3K on TV via the Pluto app didn't hurt either.