DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

The lady and I agree'd to do one of those 10x10 challenges of playing 10 of the games we own 10 times each before we went out and bought new games because our game shelf was getting out of control.

But a new Days of Wonder/Bruno game is totally gonna be a reason to break that deal.  

And just for fun, here is said completely out of control game shelf.  10x10 challenge was decided on when we didn't even have enough room to fit one more small box game on there.  

31847000363_1186bb2c8b_m.jpg

Been playing a ton of games because it's cold and my eldest is old enough to be decent at complicated games.

Played Catan for the first time after Christmas. My wife and I are hooked. Don't know how I managed this far without playing it. I obsess over it to the point that I watch the youtube footage of World Championship games.

Finally won a game of Quadropolis after buying it nearly a year ago at a Board Game Marathon Fundraiser I participated in. If you guys haven't played it, do check it out. It's a lot of fun and I love how neat and organized the box is. It's like the most organized box I've ever seen and I didn't realize that meant so much to me.

Got Sheriff of Nottingham for Christmas. My son gets a big kick out of it, and it's a fun warm of game I think.

Won Dead of Winter for only the second time. Not coincidentally, both times were the "Fuck this place we're outta here," scenario.

Jae! Just as an FYI, I'm not sure how old your kid is, but there's a Catan Junior and a My First Carcassonne if they're that young. I'm looking forward to playing the Carcassonne one with my daughter.

Also, another really fun one is King of Tokyo. After playing some rounds of that with friends, I figured that my gf and I could teach my daughter, who was 5 at the time, how to play it. She picked up on it pretty quickly and now that she's almost 7, she's even better. That may be one for you to check out.

• 2 weeks later...

Wassup homie. He's 9 and he's been playing Catan with us. We're big fans of King of Tokyo. Someone got us King of New York, and if you haven't played it, definitely check it out. It's the perfect evolution of the game that really makes it feel like you're terrorizing a city with a big monster. 

LAST NIGHT a friend of mine brought PANDEMIC LEGACY over and that shit blew my fucking mind. We played January and February and I'm scared shitless of how this game will change over time. 

The highlight of the night was inbetween us setting up January and February my friend dropped all those special cards that we're not supposed to look at and so we had to figure out how re-sort them without spoiling ourselves. the look on his face was priceless.

Pandemic Legacy is pretty cool. It may sound nerdy as hell, but I could see myself, my girlfriend, and a couple other friends signing the board when we finish and then framing it along with a picture of all of us.

Haven't played King of New York, but I'm guessing it's similar to Tokyo. I also saw a newer version of Tokyo a couple weeks ago at Target. I'm guessing it's just a re-skin of the game board and characters.

New York is basically Tokyo except now you can tear buildings down and fight armed forces,  which basically makes it more like a kaiju movie. And instead of being "in or out of Tokyo" you move between the five boroughs. This adds a new form of strategy because some boroughs get over run with armed forces and you can move in a way that forces people into those places.

The new Tokyo is indeed a reskin. I think it's by the people who did the Halloween expansion which I think were different artists. And you get different monsters which really means nothing

New York sounds awesome then. I've tried to get my friends into Tokyo, but I think the very basic nature of it and limited strategy makes it a turn off. We all regularly play 7 Wonders and Pandemic, so that's the level of depth they're into. With New York though, the added strategy sounds really freaking cool. Hopefully Amazon does another Gold Box for board games soon and includes that one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We finished Pandemic Legacy last night and that was the most satisfying boardgaming experience from beginning to end that I've ever had. It had a neat story with twists and turns and the difficulty was high enough that it could feel overwhelming but we somehow managed to win out. A good mix of bone crushing defeats and epic wins.

I saw the board for Pandemic Legacy 2 and my mind is blown for how that goes. Can't wait until it comes out.

We were looking for other legacy-style games to try. Has anyone here played SEAFALL? It looks pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...