DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

Was looking around the boardgamegeek website, and found pics of some classic games that I still possess:

pic294934_md.jpg

Canadian Armchair Football. We played this game like a motherfucker when I was a kid. We set up our own timing system (15 seconds off the clock for incomplete pass, 30 seconds for every other play), otherwise the games would have never ended. Whenever my friends decide we are having "obscure games and drinking night", this bad boy comes out.

pic44916.jpg

Canadian Monopoly, complete with the Canadian flag box cover. Most people don't believe this is actually a thing, until the box comes out.

pic1214558_md.jpg

pic1215164_md.jpg

Had this game at my grandmother's house until she passed away, and then it was relocated to my mother's house. Still has all the original pegs too. Board has taken quite a beating, however.

pic741993_md.jpg

And our favorite game of all, Hockey Challenge!!!!! Starts out as a trivia game (if you land on a team that's unclaimed, and answer the question correctly, you claim that team). After all of the "Original 21" teams get claimed, it turns into a dice game, where you battle it out for the Stanley Cup! Numerous weekends at dad's house or the lake were spent playing this bad boy.

In summary, that boardgamegeek website is awesome, for having pictures of these games.

Last weekend I went with some friends to a gaming convention and we played Small World, Guildhall, El Grande, Power Grid, Star Realms, Sheriff of Nottingham, Concordia and Letter of Marque.  It was a pretty fun couple of days.  I wanted to try Legendary: Marvel and Ginkopolis but didn't get to the signups in time.  Concordia was the toughest game because you had no idea how good/bad you were doing until the end. 

• 2 weeks later...

So now that the new MtG set has been completely spoiled, I think we need to come up with a viable dragon-centric deck. The only question is the color combination. I think a RW dragons-auras deck that uses Brood Keeper and Heliod's Pilgrim might be doable. I also think Naya (RGW) or Bant (UWG) could work. Thoughts?

If you haven't played or even if you have today's Table Top on G&S is Cards Against Humanity

Good fucking god damn. Yes. Just. Yes.

Seriously. Aisha Tyler playing Cards Against Humanity. Watch. Now.

The best is how it looked like Laina Morris was making a hostage video the entire time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all need to go out and buy Monikers like yesterday.  Basically it's a box full of cards with names (with descriptions, thank God) on them and you break up into teams and have to guess as many names on the cards in 60 seconds.  Each person starts with 8, pick 5, mix them all up and that becomes the pile for the whole game.  But the catch is there's 5 rounds.  1st round you can say anything, 2nd round only one word, third round only gestures.  This is where it gets insanely fun.  4th round you duck behind a couch and can only gesture with your head.  5th round, only allowed to use your hands as puppets.

I can't remember a more fun party game since the first time I played CAH.

I am a better man for knowing how to hand-puppeteer Harriet Tubman with only my hands so that everyone in the room knew exactly what it was.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got my tax return and there have been some good sales so I've been on a game guying kick recently:

Love Letter - Very fast and light, but doesn't really work with only 2 players.  Haven't had the chance to try it with more yet.

Forbidden Island - Plays like a slightly stripped-down pandemic, although I like the flooding mechanic better than the outbreak mechanic.

Agricola - I just got this one and haven't had a chance to play it yet.  It looks...daunting.  It doesn't help that the rulebook is pretty shit in terms of organization and explanation.  Should be giving this one a try this weekend.

Descent 2nd ed - Should come in the mail tomorrow.  I've been wanting to play this for years so I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

I got my tax return and there have been some good sales so I've been on a game guying kick recently:

Love Letter - Very fast and light, but doesn't really work with only 2 players.  Haven't had the chance to try it with more yet.

Forbidden Island - Plays like a slightly stripped-down pandemic, although I like the flooding mechanic better than the outbreak mechanic.

Agricola - I just got this one and haven't had a chance to play it yet.  It looks...daunting.  It doesn't help that the rulebook is pretty shit in terms of organization and explanation.  Should be giving this one a try this weekend.

Descent 2nd ed - Should come in the mail tomorrow.  I've been wanting to play this for years so I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

I love Agricola, but I actually enjoy the two player version (All Creature's Big and Small) more. The two player version is set up to have bigger turns a more resources, so you actually feel as though you are accomplishing things instead of just not dying. 

I've heard good things about ACBAS and will probably pick that up at some point.  Although I've been playing a bunch of Dwarf Fortress and Banished lately so the whole scrabbling by and trying not to starve aspect sounds appealing to me.

We played 7 Wonders last weekend and I loved it. We had 8 of us playing and only one of us had played it before. It was very intimidating at first because of all of the rules and systems and the rule book not giving descriptions for all of the leaders and what they do. Near the end of the first age though, everything clicked for me and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I think I'll wind up buying it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picked up Smash Up and the Pretty Pretty Expansion this past weekend and it's quickly becoming my favorite game we own.  To keep a but of randomness and to prevent one or two faction combos from winning every time we stuck a couple dice in there to randomize our decks.  My first roll came up Alien Kittens and I could not have been happier.

Also picked up Agricola: All Creatures, Hive & Spyfall in our quest to find smallish sized games to take on vacation with us in August.  If not, by beer room will suffer from all the big boxers, and that just can't be.

And speaking of RPGs

The Geek and Sundry RPG show (which got funded via the Tabletop Kickstarter) has started

http://geekandsundry.com/titansgrave-chapter-0/

Episodes come out on geekandsundry.com first and then they hit Youtube on Fridays

To go even further then this, they've been uploading a D&D play through from some voice actors who had been playing the game for 2 years plus in there run before they started putting it online. It's been on there Twitch, and the geek and sundry website. It's been really fucking fun to watch, even if it is a giant time sink.