DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

I bought my girlfriend Carcassonne for Christmas and now we play it 2-3 times a week.  We've invested in 3 of the expansions so far: Traders & Builders, Inns & Cathedrals, and The Princess & The Dragon.  Traders & Builders is by far the best of the three; stealing resources from someone else's city never gets old.  Inns & Cathedrals is good, but can be unbalancing.  It's possible to basically win by building one big city.  Princess & The Dragon is just OK, although I think it might be more enjoyable with more than two players.  Also playing with more than 2 expansions at once makes the game a bit unwieldy, both in terms of the time and the space it takes up.  

We've also been playing a fair bit of Gloom.  It's fun, but it feels like there should be a bit more variety in the gameplay and cards.  I suppose the expansions would help with that, but I'm not sure I like it enough to invest more in it.

I keep almost-buying Descent, but I'm not sure I could get 5 people together on a regular enough basis to make it a worthy investment.  It does look right up my alley, though.

If people on here play a lot of two player games, I have really been loving the two player versions of Le Havre and Agricola. I would actually go so far as to say I like the 2 player Agricola (All Creatures Big and Small) more than I do the actual game. I think in the smaller versions you actually get to do more on your turn, and they are a bit more forgiving for newer or more casual gamers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also, Betrayal at the House on the Hill by Avalon Hill is pretty great though it takes forever to play and you need a lot of space to do so.  The reason me and the bros play Munchkin is because it fan fit on our tiny ass ice cream parlor tables in Little Tokyo.

That game is intense, I like to play it as a really messed up Scooby Doo episode

Had my first game of Cards Against Humanity over the weekend, ordered my own set today.  Was fortunate enough to be able to put together "Vladimir Putin's favorite delicacy is KIDS WITH ASS CANCER stuffed with THE GAYS."  

Man, I really want to try Khet.

As for two-player-only games go, Stratego will probably always be my favorite, even though I've won a half dozen games in my entire life.  I would really like to see a digital version that uses the modified rules from Electronic Stratego (where you don't show your pieces during a challenge, because the computer can tell which piece is which by the bottom of it, and mines don't take up squares) but I think that iteration is obscure enough, to say nothing of 30 years out of production, that it'll never happen.

I'm leaving for GenCon tomorrow at 6pm. 18 hours in a van with 4 other dudes. Yay me.

I have a couple of different board games groups going on. We've been playing stuff like Arkham Horror (with supplements, which means the game lasts FOREVER), Tsuro (great game), Dixit (AWESOME game..... kind of like a cross between Balderdash and Pictionary. I just bought the two expansions for the game as well), Alhambra (I bought the Big Box with all the expansions, but we've been playing the base game), Settlers of Cataan.

I got into playing Munchkin at a con this year, and think it's great fun.

I have also been playing X-Wing, and have gone CRAZY buying ships for it.

I have a copy of the new Android: Netrunner card game, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Same with Deluxe Illuminati.

And I got hooked back on teh MTG like a junkie on meth.

Does it violate the spirit of this topic to ask about (preferably free) online multiplayer ways to play classic board games?

A lot of the games are available via iOS but they aren't free. They generally run between .99 cents and like $7.99

But they all have options to play against the computer or pass and play or some sort of multiplayer.

Had my first game of Cards Against Humanity over the weekend, ordered my own set today.  Was fortunate enough to be able to put together "Vladimir Putin's favorite delicacy is KIDS WITH ASS CANCER stuffed with THE GAYS."  

Man, I really want to try Khet.

As for two-player-only games go, Stratego will probably always be my favorite, even though I've won a half dozen games in my entire life.  I would really like to see a digital version that uses the modified rules from Electronic Stratego (where you don't show your pieces during a challenge, because the computer can tell which piece is which by the bottom of it, and mines don't take up squares) but I think that iteration is obscure enough, to say nothing of 30 years out of production, that it'll never happen.

I think my favorite Cards Against Humanity combinations have been:

"White people like ____" :: "White people."

"In Michael Jackson's final moments, he thought about ____" :: "Jerking off into a pool of children's tears."

"What helps Obama unwind?" :: "YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS!!!"

The random Glen Beck white cards are amazing as well and are typically an instawin in our games.

I live in an All Power Grid, All The Time household.I was really curious to know what a game where one manages Germany's electricity grid would feel like. It's AWESOME. I'm an economics/finance geek and this plays into cost/benefits analysis, competitive advantage, monopolization, resource management, game theory and all sorts of other topics that I love. But most importantly, it's beyond fun. It's a little complex/overwhelming at first but it just takes a game or two before it simplifies itself out.I also love that there's almost no chance involved in this -- no dice. It's just a matter of making choices and adjusting to others' choices. Winning a game of Power Grid feels like a major accomplishment.

I live in an All Power Grid, All The Time household.I was really curious to know what a game where one manages Germany's electricity grid would feel like. It's AWESOME. I'm an economics/finance geek and this plays into cost/benefits analysis, competitive advantage, monopolization, resource management, game theory and all sorts of other topics that I love. But most importantly, it's beyond fun. It's a little complex/overwhelming at first but it just takes a game or two before it simplifies itself out.I also love that there's almost no chance involved in this -- no dice. It's just a matter of making choices and adjusting to others' choices. Winning a game of Power Grid feels like a major accomplishment.

I share the Power Grid love. We play with a house rule that lets you trade or sell resources to other players, which I think ups the fun factor tremendously, and gives you even more opportunities to screw over everyone else.

The fact that Munchkin has become such a monster cash cow for SJG is really kind of amazing.  Not because it's a bad game (it absolutely is not) but it just didn't seem 10 years ago like it would get THIS big.

That's how I feel about Magic. I've played MtG since almost the beginning. They're just now celebrating their 20th anniversary and I've been playing for 19 years. I got out of competitive Magic right before the Future Sight set was released. At that time, the only money tournaments were ones that Wizards ran and those were only GPs and PTs, I think. Now, it's absolutely exploded in popularity. Right before I stopped playing competitively, the most expensive single card I ever bought was a Cranial Extraction for $18. Now, card prices for Standard top out at around $80. Card values in general have skyrocketed. Shit, the MSRP for a box of Modern Masters is around $120, but my local game shop priced them at $230. In one box, I pulled 6 cards that are worth a total of $550. Tournaments have exploded as well with Wizards allowing online shops like StarCityGames.com to run money tournaments with prize money in the thousands. It's crazy. 

And one of these years I'll make it to GenCon. It's in my fucking state and it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive. Why I haven't been to one yet is beyond me.

I'm so into Power Grid that I briefly planned The Ultimate Power Gird Tournament.There would be 25 contestants. $10 entrance fee. Each table would have five players. The winners go on to the Final 5. Second place winners go on to that 5. And so on and so forth. Then you can rank everyone 1-25.  The ultimate champion gets $250 of prize money.

Picked up three major Board Games at GenCon

Heroes of Metro City: Build your super Hero through gaining energy and powers, and try to stop the baddies from destroying the city. The more they destroy, the less available to upgrade your character)

Impact City Roller Derby: A Roller Derby board game.. Looks cool.

ScrumBrawl: A mix of Blood Bowl and Wiz War