DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

I know I'm way behind the craze, but Cards Against Humanity is a blast.  

The only problem I see is that with a group of 5 it only took us a couple hours to get through the original deck and it becomes way less interesting once you've heard all the answers. 

Also my friends suck and don't appreciate my sense of humor, but I guess I shouldn't hold that against the game.

You need to get the expansions.  Some are free but require you to print and play.  The legit expansions are great as well.  Saw some Crabs Adjust The Humidity (3rd party) on Amazon expansion packs as well

I thought this thread was on the old board. Now I have an epic rant to go on.

Betrayal at the House on the Hill (Both games were great)

Betrayal.... is fun, I trierd to give it a Scooby Doo vibe.  We died horribly as a group in this one.  They got away with it despite those pesky kids

I know I'm way behind the craze, but Cards Against Humanity is a blast.  

The only problem I see is that with a group of 5 it only took us a couple hours to get through the original deck and it becomes way less interesting once you've heard all the answers. 

Also my friends suck and don't appreciate my sense of humor, but I guess I shouldn't hold that against the game.

You need to get the expansions.  Some are free but require you to print and play.  The legit expansions are great as well.  Saw some Crabs Adjust The Humidity (3rd party) on Amazon expansion packs as well

Yeah I believe G&S has one on there site

I now own all the CAH expansions and Crabs Adjust Humidity. I got waaaaay geeky with it too and sleeved all of the cards so everything blends in. That said, the CAH expansions are awesome and adding Crabs Adjust Humidity makes it even more of a blast. I wish I could have purchased the Giant Bomb expansion when it was available.

• 1 month later...

Went ahead and placed an order today on Amazon for Pandemic and Ticket to Ride to take camping in a few weeks.  I bought Scotland Yard for the trip last year and it was a huge hit having something other to play than the usual endless Scrabble games. 

After reading the article on Grantland, I'm kind of tempted to pick up Diplomacy, too.  It sounds like something that could totally kill a day or two, with the added bonus of possibly making everyone hate each other by the end of the trip.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to play D&D on Monday for the first time since high school.  I'd been thinking about getting back into it for a while, and a group of people I work with are starting a new campaign, so the timing worked out nicely.  Nerdery ahoy!

My buddy picked up Space Cadets... What a learning curve and the instructions leave a lot to be desired but even with that in mind it has a tonne of potential for fun. I'm going to watch some tutorial videos that hopefully do a better job explaining how to play that sum'bitch than the manual does.

My group and I have been playing a ton of Resistance and Coup. We actually got an 8 player game of Resistance going and it was fucking insane. I don't know how it happened, but at multiple points we were legit yelling at each other and a "fuck you" or "go fuck yourself" may have been tossed out as well. Super fun and we all had a good laugh about it afterward. We played for about 5 or 6 hours and I was pretty hoarse by the end of it.

I'm going to play D&D on Monday for the first time since high school.  I'd been thinking about getting back into it for a while, and a group of people I work with are starting a new campaign, so the timing worked out nicely.  Nerdery ahoy!

Which edition of D&D are you all using?

We're running 3.5.  This is a group that's been playing together for several years and this is their third or fourth campaign in the same world.  We're all playing 14 ECL Drow, so am basically in way over my head already.

My group and I have been playing a ton of Resistance and Coup. We actually got an 8 player game of Resistance going and it was fucking insane. I don't know how it happened, but at multiple points we were legit yelling at each other and a "fuck you" or "go fuck yourself" may have been tossed out as well. Super fun and we all had a good laugh about it afterward. We played for about 5 or 6 hours and I was pretty hoarse by the end of it.

At my once every couple weeks board game meetup, I've discovered the beauty of One Night: Ultimate Werewolf. Same style of game, just beautifully executed.

I'm becoming a big fan of worker relocation games. I'm not very good at them yet, but I stay competitive. 

I'm going to play D&D on Monday for the first time since high school. I'd been thinking about getting back into it for a while, and a group of people I work with are starting a new campaign, so the timing worked out nicely. Nerdery ahoy!

We're running 3.5. This is a group that's been playing together for several years and this is their third or fourth campaign in the same world. We're all playing 14 ECL Drow, so am basically in way over my head already.

If you need any help drop me a pm I've been playing 3/3.5 from launch

I'm going to play D&D on Monday for the first time since high school. I'd been thinking about getting back into it for a while, and a group of people I work with are starting a new campaign, so the timing worked out nicely. Nerdery ahoy!

We're running 3.5. This is a group that's been playing together for several years and this is their third or fourth campaign in the same world. We're all playing 14 ECL Drow, so am basically in way over my head already.

If you need any help drop me a pm I've been playing 3/3.5 from launch

Thanks, I might hit you up when I start rolling a character.  I'm used to 2e, so I know from complex rules, but the ECL/multiclass/leveling stuff in this is giving me fits for some reason.

I also ordered the Pathfinder rulebook, just because I'd heard a lot about it and want to see what it's all about.

I love board games, what makes it hard is uh I don't have friends that love board games.  This means that my brother and I end up playing with my mom and step-dad.  Don't get me wrong, we enjoy our occasional game nights, the issue is finding games that we all like.  I've tried to introduce the old folk to fun "current" games like Cranium and 7 Wonders, but both were too.... creative for my step-dad.  He is an accountant and doesn't like using the creative side of his brain, if he has one at all.  He prefers math and trivia games (Bezzerwizzer was fine, we play that still), but those bore the rest of us.  So its a problem.

We do however all enjoy Taboo (for some reason that he can play), and Scattergories/Scattergories Categories.  Any of you board game players have any suggestions of games that are more new and fun but not too strategic/creative-intensive?  There are so many new games out and I try to read Amazon reviews, but I'm open to suggestions.  My brother will be in town in a week and I'd like to find a new game or two to play, its been two years since we got new games.  

Scoring can be a pain in the ass though, which is why I love the tablet, phone and Xbox Live Arcade versions so much.

Huh, I never really had any problems.  The only issues I ever ran into were in 2 player games where you would occasionally get a score over 100.  Or if the cats knocked over the scoring track.

Ticket To Ride is another good one with a relatively low barrier to entry.