DVDVR Message Board

WWE SummerSlam 2013.

The Natural

But in Wrestler Physiology Class I learned that if a finisher comes from a blindside attack it is 5 times more potent than if it came in a match in which a wrestler is prepared for such devastating maneuvers.

• Like 8

But in Wrestler Physiology Class I learned that if a finisher comes from a blindside attack it is 5 times more potent than if it came in a match in which a wrestler is prepared for such devastating maneuvers.

Then I'll go with option B of Orton being a dick and initially teasing the pin attempt only to pull Bryan up after a 2-count so he can punish Bryan that extra little bit more before claiming his prize.

Anybody else realize how fitting it is the way this Bryan angle has went down and is playing out twenty years after the Summerslam where deluded idiot Bret Hart had actually convinced himself earlier that spring Hogan would ultimately lose the title to him clean as a whistle to the sharpshooter? What a dunce!

And of course when you get right down to it that year’s WM IX conclusion wasn’t much different than your typical Money In The Bank scenario. Except that the red and yellow bullshitter was such a master manipulator that he didn’t need no stinking briefcase because all he had to do was simply stagger down to the ring and goad the big fat stupid monster heel into  an impromptu title match. The powers of persuasion were Hulk’s money in the bank. He would also later use these great and mysterious powers to get around actually having to win the belt back from Goldberg.  

I still maintain the only one that looks bad out of that whole Hogan/Vince/Bret rigmarole was Bret for being a delusional enough mark (for himself) that he’d buy whatever lie they sold him in the first place while Hogan and Vince were only guilty of being their usual BS’ing selves. They had to tell the little candyass something to get him to calm down.

So when you remember the whole smatter of Hogan/Vince/Bret backstage petty squabbling/politicking that gives this whole “Bryan just isn’t our preferred piss-ant” angle a nice verisimilitude whereas a great deal of  Punk’s Shooty McShooterson garbage during “Summer of Punk” was contrived insider nonsense that if it didn't fly over most folks' heads bored the shit out of them. 

So when you remember the whole smatter of Hogan/Vince/Bret backstage petty squabbling/politicking that gives this whole “Bryan just isn’t our preferred piss-ant” angle a nice verisimilitude whereas a great deal of  Punk’s Shooty McShooterson garbage during “Summer of Punk” was contrived insider nonsense that if it didn't fly over most folks' heads bored the shit out of them. 

I'm new to posting here, but have been a lurker for many, many years. I understand there's a vast difference of opinion on Punk between a lot of people here. But the one thing I'll say about Punk's "pipe bomb" is this: yes, there was a lot of shooty bullshit in it, but he also made his point clear from a kayfabe perspective in that he mentioned leaving with the belt at least three times. Most of the audience probably didn't recognize John Laurinitis' name at the time, but they knew who Vince is, and they know it's not exactly PG to call him a "douchebag bitch yes man." It worked on two levels. So does the current Bryan angle, but I do agree with you that it's not quite as shooty. And really, it doesn't need a lot of that to make sense. "Authority figure holding guy back" has been around since Savage said it was Tunney's fault Steamboat was IC champ. But realistically, the people they're trying to sell this to aren't even old enough to have seen Vince-Austin or Bischoff and the NWO. Those of us who are will watch either way.

It looks much more like a transition than a fuck-up. Why the hell would there be a top rope Styles Clash in the match?

Agreed. Since I watched the match, it's Daniel Bryan going for his usual hurricanrana which John Cena blocked and turned into the STF.

I remember Jericho doing that spot to Rey at Souled Out 98. 

It was definitely a planned a spot, and under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even say a particularly dangerous one with two pros like Cena and Bryan doing it. However, Bryan might be slightly crazy for trying it with torn-triceps John Cena... There were a couple other spots where you could tell Cena's strength wasn't anywhere near 100%, and that spot wouldn't be one of my first suggestions when working with someone in that condition.

I remember Jericho doing that spot to Rey at Souled Out 98. 

It was definitely a planned a spot, and under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even say a particularly dangerous one with two pros like Cena and Bryan doing it. However, Bryan might be slightly crazy for trying it with torn-triceps John Cena... There were a couple other spots where you could tell Cena's strength wasn't anywhere near 100%, and that spot wouldn't be one of my first suggestions when working with someone in that condition.

I remember Jericho doing it to Tyson Kidd in a Steel Cage match on RAW.