DVDVR Message Board

WWE SummerSlam 2013.

The Natural

Somebody mentioned that Cena/Bryan must've been watching the G1, and I certainly concur. The slap exchange to kick off the final third of the match was playing up the stuff from Monday but also straight out of the modern Japanese formula.

That wasn't the only thing they took. They also did a Spider Superplex spot at one point.

It was flat because WWE fans are conditioned a certain way in regards to finishes. But the the best way to get it over right directly? Knock the superhero champion the fuck out with it. See also: Bomber, Axe.

Yeah, I get that logic. And the crowd was already waning at that point to be fair.

Cena was kneeling down, wasn't he? Like how Nakamura's opponents are when he hits his knee strike.

Either way, this was a wonderfully booked main event and I'm excited about WWE for the first time since MITB '11. This has been a fantastic month of wrestling, I picked a good month to get back into it.

Does Punk need a rematch? It would have to be a stip match without Heyman interfering (loved the shark cage idea), but I think Punk would be fine if they didn't bother. He fought like a god damned man last night, looked like a bad ass for the first time in forever.

Is Brock vs Bryan on the table now? I mean, having him as some sort of monster that Bryan must conquer while navigating through the gauntlet of challenges that HHH and Orton impose on him before he can get a title match?Because if it isn't...it should be.

Yes, please.And Bryan winning by desparate knockout in the bottom of the 9th is more believable than making Brock tap out. I keep harping on this point but I am convinced the reason for using the Boma Ye as the finish was in order to give Bryan the tools to succeed long-term
  • Like 1

2 things that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

- Seems to be a trend of Bryan lifting the finishes of Chael Sonnen fights. He did the missed spinning backfist sequence with Punk last year or whenever it was, and then the guillotine choke from this weekend.

- While it could develop into a new killer finisher, the knee for the finish in Bryan-Cena sort of signalled to me that there would be a MITB cash-in.  Kind of like when Cena won an Elimination Chamber match with a rollup as the final fall, which was a bit of a weird flat finish, then Edge cashed in on him.

They probably told him he needed a snappier finish. Something that doesn't need a convoluted setup to pull off during non-matches. So he went with the Boma Ye. Which I was wondering for the longest time who was going to use it. The closest it got to making it on the main show was when Micheal Tarver was using it.

Nope.

Posted Image

But he's not sticking out the leg like KENTA does.

We'd have to ask Bryan himself to know which Japanese wrestler he "STOLE" his finisher from to know the truth.

Actually, he is, but after the strike. It's certainly closer to the Busaiku knee than it is the Boma Ye. 

Did you prefer John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan or Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk? Can't go wrong with both, two terrific matches. I prefer John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan, just. The finish to it is my favourite finish to a match this year.Enjoy looking at the rest of the thread, Brian.

I need to rewatch Cena/Bryan because I spent most of it talking to my friends about Punk/Brock.Booker T pissed me off when he interrupted Shawn Michaels' heartfelt and sincere "Thank you" to Brock and Punk.
I was so glad that Booker shouted out to Christian and ADR too. They deserved it. Shawn was like "Oh yeah, them too."
Yeah, I agree, BUT I would have preferred if he didn't step on Shawn to do it. Let it breathe for just a moment.

It's also a move that can come out of nowhere OR have an HBK like set-up where everyone chants "YES!" while you wait for the opponent to get back to their feet, which fits perfectly as a credible main event finisher.

I'll do you one better: Shawn didn't get SCM OVER over until he almost beat Nash with it at WM11.

Went to the local Buffalo Wild Wings to see the show. There were a couple low points, but the high points more than made up for it. One of the best PPVs in a long time, though I kinda don't like that the IC and Tag Team Titles weren't defended on their #2 show of the year. Thoughts on individual matches are as follows:

- The Ring of Fire match wasn't terrible, but it wasn't terribly good either. I would suggest that we knew that it wouldn't be, given the nature of the match. Doesn't matter. Any time Bray Wyatt is on, he has my full attention. Period. Had a feeling this was all leading to the Wyatt Family taking Kane away and brainwashing him to be part of the Family. It'll be interesting to see who's next.

- Cody Rhodes vs. Damian Sandow was a nice little match. I liked how Cody pulled a couple moves from his big brother's playbook, as well as a (kind of) Bionic Elbow at one point. I see Damian demanding a rematch to prove he's the superior of the two, and Cody agrees only after Damian puts the MitB briefcase on the line.

- The WHC match was excellent. They seemed to be hinting that Christian's days as a wrestler might be numbered in that promo piece. Does anybody know anything about that? Anyway, there were a ton of creative spots here. I liked how Christian was one step ahead of Alberto at points, dodging the top rope enzugiri for example. I always dig Alberto's through the ropes to the outside bump, and that dropkick as Christian was going for the Spear was an excellent counter. Alberto's promo at the end was odd.

- Natalya vs. Brie Bella was easily the worst match of the night. The Bellas are an emberassment, and Nattie should feel insulted for having to work with them. The match was only 4 minutes or so, but it dragged on and felt like it was twice as long. The Sharpshooter should've been an instant tapout, by the way.

- Brock vs. Punk was the MOTN, and a definite MOTYC, as many have already said. The place was nuclear hot for this match, and popped huge for every big move. An ECW chant started up after Punk's Diving Chair spot; I was kind of surprised how many actually recognized that as a New Jack spot. Every submission got a huge "TAP! TAP! TAP!" chant, and I was a little surprised Punk was able to pull off the Anaconda Vise (thought Brock's arms might be to big to execute it properly). I didn't like Brock winning, but they told their story masterfully, with Punk's need to get at Heyman being his undoing. I'm thinking this leads to a rematch where Paul won't (in theory) be a factor. Hell in a Cell, maybe?

- The mixed tag was short and inoffensive. They showed off Big E.'s power set, while Dolph does what Dolph does best, and that's be a human pinball. I think Big E. is going to be getting a secondary title push sooner rather than later. We'll have to see how well he can handle a longer match.

- Cena vs. DB was awesome! A couple botched spots, probably due to Cena's bum elbow, kept it from just edging out Punk/Brock as MOTN. The bridge spot was nice, as was all the other big points in the match that everyone has already brought up. After the knee strike, the whole place let out a collective gasp when H counted three. No Vince, no Maddox, no anything. Just a clean wid for Daniel Bryan. Initially that made me think that Orton wasn't going to cash in, but as the celebration dragged on, I knew it was coming. The place lost their shit when Orton's music hit, lost it again when HHH Pedigreed DB, and lost it a third time when Orton pinned him. I liked HHH doing Daniel Bryan's "Yes!" pose during Orton's celebration.

2 incredible matches, and two more that were just a step behind that. The two marquee matches were worth the price alone. Can't wait to see how things shake out tonight.