DVDVR Message Board

WWE SummerSlam 2013.

The Natural

^True, that is a decent way to go with it. In any case, I hope Orton doesn't revert back to suit-wearing Evolution HHH/Flair wannabe. He was at his best as a lone wolf psycho punting everyone in his sight (sans his Parkinsons-esque twitches).

I think Daniel Bryan will be more like a modern era Bob Backlund than any other comparison I can think of. A guy that will be talked about as a great wrestler that can out wrestle & beat any man. The whole time Vince was running down Daniel Bryan for his size, I was thinking of Rey Mysterio, Jr. & then I made the Bob Backlund connection. Although Bob was still bigger than Daniel Bryan size wise.

I think the crowds can be conditioned to get behind anyone nowadays, regardless of their size. Brock Lesnar dwarfed C.M. Punk but I bought into that match, so I'm sure others did too. Daniel Bryan, with his intensity, certainly makes you believe he can beat anyone. Especially will all of his submission work. That new running knee? That move is also killer & he should be able to do it to anyone of any size, from Rey Mysterio, Jr. to The Big Show.

Look at people picking this shit apart, wanting a good, valid explanation for HHH backing Orton when way back when Austin aligned with Vince,

Yeah, and look how successful that was.

Oh for fuck's sake, they're potentially creating someone who overtakes Cena. If Daniel Bryan eventually goes over HHH and Orton, he's set until retirement. DB withstood one of the most embarrassing WM losses ever to get to this point. I'm sure he won't  be hindered by whatever nonsense brought HHH and Orton together.

Besides, the easiest explanation is shit changes. It's been years since HHH and Orton had their feud or since Orton punted the McMahons. Orton was originally someone HHH backed as part of the future of the WWE. Its pro wrestling. Is it not at all possible that Orton, HHH, and the McMahons couldn't have hashed their problems out?

• Like 3

The Bryan/Cena finish was out of nowhere. I turned my head for a second and heard the three count. I thought "Oh the match is over. Wait what the fuck?"

I'm loving this about Bryan's run. In an era where nearly every WWE main event follows the exact same formula, you can literally never tell how a Daniel Bryan match is going to end. It could be a submission, a small package, a flying head butt, or something completely out of the fucking blue like a flying knee. 

Look at people picking this shit apart, wanting a good, valid explanation for HHH backing Orton when way back when Austin aligned with Vince,

Yeah, and look how successful that was.

Oh for fuck's sake, they're potentially creating someone who overtakes Cena. If Daniel Bryan eventually goes over HHH and Orton, he's set until retirement. DB withstood one of the most embarrassing WM losses ever to get to this point. I'm sure he won't  be hindered by whatever nonsense brought HHH and Orton together.

Besides, the easiest explanation is shit changes. It's been years since HHH and Orton had their feud or since Orton punted the McMahons. Orton was originally someone HHH backed as part of the future of the WWE. Its pro wrestling. Is it not at all possible that Orton, HHH, and the McMahons couldn't have hashed their problems out?

Calm down. Who said anything about hindering Bryan? All I said was I'm interested to see HHH's reasoning for backing Orton. 

Sure, it's possible. But kayfabe-wise, seems unlikely. HHH just spent a year risking life and limb to protect his family from Brock Lesnar, so for him to turn and join up with a guy who terrorized his loved ones 10 times worse than Brock ever did seems strange. But as you pointed out, WWE has had so much success with these logic-bending turns in the past, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

It's something that makes Triple H evil.  He went out and found the one guy he knows is evil enough to join him and get the job done. 

The logic doesn't bother me with them both being despicable heels.  If they were chummy babyfaces out fighting injustice, it wouldn't work.

The one thing I'll say about HHH as a heel is his lack of really being able to make anyone sympathize with the plight of his babyface opponent. Basically because he goes for the jugular and dissects everything about his opponent that legitimately doesn't work. Stuff that fans watching probably realize, but don't really ever give much thought to. Yes, Booker T is black and there's never really been a black champion. Yes, John Cena can't "wrestle" (I believe the "you can't wrestle!" shtick started with the HHH/Cena WM 22 promos, but I could be wrong). Yes, CM Punk is "skinnyfat".

Honestly, I can't think of any feud outside of his last two with the Undertaker that haven't been filled with HHH making shoot-ish comments left and right to make his opponent look like shit. 

I guess that's really my only concern with a HHH-Bryan feud. I'd like to see Bryan built up as this underdog champ who has been wronged, but when HHH gets on a live mic God only knows what he'll pull out of his sleeve.

The mark in me would be happier today if Danielson was the champ

That written, not too long ago, the dude was working indy shows before small crowds, was considered a great worker with little personality, was universally thought to be too small to make it in the WWE, was booked as a whiner on NXT, was routinely beaten on said show, was buried incessantly by Cole (which could've killed him dead), got cut from the WWE over some jive circumstances, was beaten in seconds at WrestleMania, placed in angles with Kane that would've halted all momentum for most wrestlers, given the tired gimmick of a tag champ who can't get along with his partner. .... and tonight he beat the world's best-known wrestler clean

It's all really quite fucking incredible

Bryan is making more money than ever doing what he loves, he's connected with the fans in a way only special few do, and the company seems to love him, even if he's not what they generally want in a top babyface. So YEAH for him

Absolutely loved that ending. Always enjoyed face HHH and especially the last 3 years of Orton as a face but I'm excited to see where they go now as the super heel duo. Cena/Bryan was pretty much as great as expected, love the unexpected spots like the spider superplex from Bryan. Brock/Punk also delivered big time in putting on a classic, amazing match. Really liked Alberto/Christian too. Almost thought Alberto's post-match promo about Mexicans needing a hero was going to lead to a surprise Rey return. Thought the RVD/Ambrose match was also quite good, third time in a row where the preshow match outshined some of the PPV since they started doing longer matches on there. Surprised it didn't lead to the Show/Henry vs Shield tag match. Miz/Fandango throughout the night was amusing but Miz didn't really have much of a role as 'host'. Everything else was kept relatively short though I did enjoy the quick Natayla/Brie match. Cody/Sandow was also pretty good for being so short, think Cody's better off clean shaven again but laughed how they hyped up "find out why by watching the JBL & Cole show!"

I'll be curious to hear Triple H's reasoning for choosing Orton as his corporate champion (and I'm sure I won't have to wait long. Odds are RAW opens with a 20-minute promo from Hunter.) Logically, there's no sound kayfabe reason for Triple H to back Orton. How do you argue that a guy with two wellness violations who punted your father-in-law and brother-in-law, and RKO'd your wife is the ideal choice to be the face of your company?

HHH hates Cena for the same reason that internet fans hate Cena. HHH thinks Daniel Bryan is a vanilla midget. Orton might not be ideal, but he is neither Cena nor Bryan. He can let Orton be "the man" for now while he finds someone to groom as a future champion the way Orton was in Evolution.So what if Orton RKO'd his wife? HHH has to admit that she's kind of an annoying cunt anyways and sometimes he wishes he could give her a Pedigree, so in retrospect, maybe he judged Orton too harshly and it was understandable if Randy was annoyed by Stephanie sufficiently to perform his finisher on her. But if she needs slapping around again, HHH is going to take care of it this time. Really, he only keeps her around to take care of the children and because she is good in bed. Vince? Shane? They were kind of asking for it.Did HHH have any interaction with Nexus when it formed? Maybe Nexus can retroactively be made out as part of his long-term master plan.

The one thing I'll say about HHH as a heel is his lack of really being able to make anyone sympathize with the plight of his babyface opponent. Basically because he goes for the jugular and dissects everything about his opponent that legitimately doesn't work. Stuff that fans watching probably realize, but don't really ever give much thought to. Yes, Booker T is black and there's never really been a black champion. Yes, John Cena can't "wrestle" (I believe the "you can't wrestle!" shtick started with the HHH/Cena WM 22 promos, but I could be wrong). Yes, CM Punk is "skinnyfat". Honestly, I can't think of any feud outside of his last two with the Undertaker that haven't been filled with HHH making shoot-ish comments left and right to make his opponent look like shit.  I guess that's really my only concern with a HHH-Bryan feud. I'd like to see Bryan built up as this underdog champ who has been wronged, but when HHH gets on a live mic God only knows what he'll pull out of his sleeve.

So, what you're saying is that Booker T was flawed because he was black and HHH was an ineffective heel for pointing out that truth?

The only problem I have with the ending of Summerslam is that this is going to set up a McMahon power struggle that will last until Wrestlemania 30. If Triple H was the defacto boss of the WWE and there was no Vince and Stephanie involved in a three way power struggle with him, then fine. Triple H picking Orton as his corporate champion works great.

Bryan being the one to rage against the machine makes sense. Orton is everything the WWE wants in a champion. Dull, bland, and predictable. And even though we all knew this would happen, it still hurt to watch. You could hear the air get sucked right out of the building when Triple H hit that pedigree and then Orton cashed in. I'm sure Triple H will think of a logical reason for why he is backing Orton. Hopefully in all of this we will at least see the old Randy Orton who looks like he gives a shit.

Before I read through all this, a few thoughts:

God damn was Christian/Del Rio good.

God damn was Punk/Lesnar better.

GOD FUCKING DAMN WAS BRYAN/CENA GREAT

The announcers missing the significance of it was annoying, but the moment when Bryan slapped Cena to pay off the respect bit of the angle was probably my single favorite moment in a match all year.

As for the closing angle, insert string of profanities here.

• Like 2

Minor quibbling, but for all the talk about "Bryan wasn't supposed to succeed" in WWE if you really look back at his run he's continually been put in pretty good spots. Sure the original NXT run was terrible but very few people get out of that clusterfuck in a good spot. After the firing, which was mainly damage control, he came back to main event SummerSlam in the Nexus angle, beats Miz for the US title, bounces around the mid-card, wins MITB, has a pretty well booked first World title reign. Yeah, he lost in 18 seconds but it was all angle set-up and lead to the whole AJ angle and the team with Kane.

I mean, I get the idea that no one saw him pinning Cena clean, but I think the idea that he's overcome bad booking is a bit misleading.

• Like 3

You know, with HHH, Orton, and Vince likely forming a heel stable of some kind, would it be the worst idea in the world to turn the Shield face by having them save Bryan from a big beatdown? They've been floundering lately and this would be a big boost and it would clear up the heel stable clutter going on with Evolution 2.0 and the Wyatts. It seems like people want to cheer them too, not just based on the chants they get from smart crowds, but their entrance gets a good reaction everywhere. Storyline wise, it totally fits their injustice narrative, and I think the wrestling statute of limitations has expired on them feuding with Team Hell No. Plus I'm trying to think of ways out of this angle that don't involve Bryan and Cena respect-teaming to save WWE or Vince turning face and keeping the focus on him vs. HHH with Bryan and Orton as seconds.

You know, with HHH, Orton, and Vince likely forming a heel stable of some kind, would it be the worst idea in the world to turn the Shield face by having them save Bryan from a big beatdown? They've been floundering lately and this would be a big boost and it would clear up the heel stable clutter going on with Evolution 2.0 and the Wyatts. It seems like people want to cheer them too, not just based on the chants they get from smart crowds, but their entrance gets a good reaction everywhere. Storyline wise, it totally fits their injustice narrative, and I think the wrestling statute of limitations has expired on them feuding with Team Hell No. Plus I'm trying to think of ways out of this angle that don't involve Bryan and Cena respect-teaming to save WWE or Vince turning face and keeping the focus on him vs. HHH with Bryan and Orton as seconds.

Yes, it would. If Cena's going away for awhile, Bryan needs to be the ONLY babyface involved with this story. One of the things that hurt Punk after Summerslam 2011 was that Triple H was trying to keep himself an equal babyface. Bryan's gotta stand alone.