DVDVR Message Board

WWE SummerSlam 2013.

The Natural

I agree that the Punk triangle looked weak, but his strikes looked about fifty thousand times better in this match then they have any time in recent memory

To be fair, a lot of us are sofa-cushion black belts who know that he shoulda GOT THAT ANKLE UNDER HIS KNEE. I can't imagine it bothered the live crowd. Is it any worse that Brock's insistence on doing Kimuras from half guard on the bottom?

Most fun I've had watching wrestling in a long time. 

The only thing that comes close in recent years is Punk-Cena from MITB 2011.

The WHC match was super. Christian can't seem to have less than a VERY GOOD match on ppv, and I liked ADR's appeal to latinos after.

Lesnar-Punk was brutal, in the best way. Brock's "timberrrr!" selling of the GTS was great.

Loved, loved, loved Bryan-Cena. The spot in the corner after the superplex leading to the head butt was total fighting spirit!

I kept waiting for HHH to make his move, and kinda hoping it didn't happen. Anyway, I look forward to the chase and can't wait for RAW.

How many wrestlers would you say John Cena has lost cleanly to since becoming the main guy? There's Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam 2013 and The Rock at WrestleMania XXVIII. CM Punk beat John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011 though that had distractions by Vince McMahon and Johnny Ace. I think John Cena lost cleanly to Triple H at Night of Champions 2008.

How many wrestlers would you say John Cena has lost cleanly to since becoming the main guy? There's Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam 2013 and The Rock at WrestleMania XXVIII. CM Punk beat John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011 though that had distractions by Vince McMahon and Johnny Ace. I think John Cena lost cleanly to Triple H at Night of Champions 2008.

A case could be made for losing to ADR at Vengeance 2011, since even though Miz and R-Truth interfered, that didn't really play into the finish.

Or not.  Whatever.

Don't forget Tensai's debut.

• Like 1

Somebody looked into all of John Cena's clean losses since WM21, on The Board:

10.10.2005 Carlito, Edge & Kurt Angle defeat John Cena, Shawn Michaels & The Big Show (19:49) (John Cena tried applying an ankle lock to Kurt Angle, Kurt Angle reversed it into a victory roll for the clean pinfall)

23.04.2007 Shawn Michaels defeats John Cena (55:49) (After 50 amazing minutes and two Sweet Chin Music's, Shawn Michaels finished Cena off)

22.01.2007 Over The Top Rope Challenge: The Great Khali defeats Charlie Haas and John Cena and Lance Cade and Shelton Benjamin and Trevor Murdoch and Viscera (4:44) (John Cena tried his hardest at throwing Great Khali over the top rope, but Khali just brushed him off and easily threw him out of the ring for the win)

28.05.2007 The Great Khali defeats John Cena (6:20) (Great Khali easily squashes Cena)

30.03.2008 WWE Heavyweight Title Triple Threat: Randy Orton © defeats John Cena and Triple H (14:06) (Triple H knocked Cena out with the Pedigree, but Orton was the one to steal the pin after doing the Punt on Triple H. This won't be the last time Triple H or Orton beat Cena)

29.06.2008 WWE Heavyweight Title: Triple H © defeats John Cena (19:39) (Triple H wins clean via Pedigree, nothing else to it)

20.07.2008 New York City Parking Lot Brawl: John Bradshaw Layfield defeats John Cena (17:00) (John Cena tries to FU JBL into the car on the stage, JBL gets out of the FU and pushes Cena face-first into the car, which allows JBL to pinfall him for the win)

17.08.2008 Batista defeats John Cena (14:10) (This was the match where Batista nearly killed Cena by reverseing a top rope move into a Powerbomb. A kick and another Powerbomb later and Batista won the match. Might have not been the planned finish, but kayfabe wise, Batista won impressively)

30.03.2009 The Big Show defeats John Cena (9:22) (Big Show basically kicked Cena's ass for 10 minutes and finished him off)

23.08.2009 WWE Heavyweight Title: Randy Orton © defeats John Cena (20:45) (This match was restarted everytime Randy Orton cheated to win, on the final restart, Randy Orton managed to actually beat Cena clean by catching him off-guard as he was frustratingly trying to bring him into the ring)

04.10.2009 WWE Heavyweight Title Hell In A Cell: Randy Orton defeats John Cena © (21:24) (Randy Orton choked Cena out using the ropes and then used the punt for the win. It was a Hell in a Cell match, though, so it was fair game)

19.10.2009 Triple H defeats John Cena (20:20) (Triple H beats Cena clean via Pedigree, again)

13.12.2009 WWE Heavyweight Title Tables: Sheamus defeats John Cena © (16:25) (Cena trips onto a table, Sheamus wins)

13.09.2010 Tables: Randy Orton defeats John Cena (16:50) (A lot of interference in this match for both sides, but in the end of the match, Cena tried to FU Randy Orton through a table and Randy Orton reversed it into a RKO for the win)

01.04.2012 The Rock defeats John Cena (30:35) (Clean win, you all know the score)

18.11.2012 WWE Heavyweight Title Triple Threat: CM Punk © defeats John Cena and Ryback (17:57) (This one is mind boggling. John Cena goes for the FU, Ryback reverses it into the Shellshock and is attacked by The Shield, 50 seconds later, CM Punk pins the still down John Cena for the win)

17.06.2013 WWE Heavyweight Title Three Stages Of Hell: John Cena © [2] defeats Ryback [1] (24:30) (Even though John Cena won the match 2-1, he did lose the first fall (a Lumberjack Match) pretty cleanly. He was going for a STF and Ryback reversed into a shellshock for the win.

The ending made a ton of sense from a traditional wrestling standpoint. However, wrestling is at its best when it is pushing the bounds of past tradition. The most obvious examples are Stone Cold and the NWO, but I believe that most everyone's best wrestling memories/moments are strongly tied to seeing something different. In WWE, guys like Macho and Bret Hart winning the big title. In JCP/NWA, the Horsemen were unchartered territory. Evolution II may make a ton of sense from many angles, but Daniel Bryan is the man is the way I think things should go down. Daniel Bryan has become edgy and different, and fits the current hipsterish social trend. Evolution II may be a smart wrestling group, but I do not think it brings any new eyeballs in.

I agree that the Punk triangle looked weak, but his strikes looked about fifty thousand times better in this match then they have any time in recent memory

To be fair, a lot of us are sofa-cushion black belts who know that he shoulda GOT THAT ANKLE UNDER HIS KNEE. I can't imagine it bothered the live crowd. Is it any worse that Brock's insistence on doing Kimuras from half guard on the bottom?

Half guard on the bottom is actually a pretty good place to do a Kimura from.  Thought for Pro Wrestling purposes it probably doesn't look as good.  I never really got why in wrestling they refuse to do the triangle fully, since it's not like just putting your ankle in the right place makes it SUPER tight.  Anyway, I imagine on Brock's giant shoulders it would be tough. 

While I don't think Bryan as champ would be 'boring' by any means, I think he's far more interesting chasing the title.  I'm totally cool with it taking till Wrestlemania.

Hunter beat him clean in '09 on RAW in the middle of the Cena/Orton feud(might've been before Bragging Rights).

EDIT: Reggie already posted it.

That Cena loss list is something. I literally have no recollection/have never seen the majority of those. I mean, I think Cena is great but I dropped off of most WWE for a year or two while finishing school or not having internet/cable at various times. How many of those are worth seeking out? I've seen the Michaels match and all WM and SummerSlam matches, of course.

That was a really great ppv, even if I'm not too high on the finish (could've been a lot worse, though). The top 3 matches were all MOTYC's for the company, and Punk/Lesnar might be the front-runner right now. Just really well-paced matches with some creative spots and good finishing spots. I'll reserve my judgment on the HHH turn until the angle plays out a bit more on Raw tomorrow.

Underrated moment of the show was definitely Ryback's skit backstage. Holy shit, that was easily the funniest segment this year. "I knew that," "You made a mess, you look like a three year old," and of course "Feed me, moron" had me dying. This should've been his first gimmick. Hopefully a promising low-carder can get a decent rub by ending his reign of terror on backstage employees.

I'll be curious to hear Triple H's reasoning for choosing Orton as his corporate champion (and I'm sure I won't have to wait long. Odds are RAW opens with a 20-minute promo from Hunter.)

Logically, there's no sound kayfabe reason for Triple H to back Orton. How do you argue that a guy with two wellness violations who punted your father-in-law and brother-in-law, and RKO'd your wife is the ideal choice to be the face of your company?