DVDVR Message Board

WWE SummerSlam 2013.

The Natural

Doing Evolution with HHH falling into the Flair role while Orton moves to the HHH spot would be cool. Got to find 2 guys to fill those other spots though.

I'd do The Shield because if you don't, you have 3 heel groups with the Wyatts, Shield, and New Evolution.  Maybe just add Big E as muscle for Orton? 

• Like 1

John Cena almost killed Dragon during one of those top rope spots. It turned into an STF eventually but it looked like it was going to be a top rope Styles Clash or some shit before that. I don't know what happened there. Good thing that Dragon is short & tucked his head.

Oh, and three tweets from this account tonight.. all accurate.

Tweets
  1. [*]

I have just received word Brock Lesnar will defeat CM Punk.

[*]

I have just received word that Alberto Del Rio will defeat Christian.

[*]

For anyone whom is interested, I have just received word Bray Wyatt will defeat Kane.

It was more important for WWE to get over a new top heel (Because look at that heel roster...it's pretty weak (ADR, Sandow, Wyatts, Axel, Barrett, Shield), with Punk, Henry, Show all turning in the last couple months, there are no heels left, really.  Certainly no heels you can build a main event around.  Sure, it would've been a great moment to have Bryan win the title and celebrate, but Wrestlemania/Royal Rumble are where you go for great moments, Summerslam is largely about beginning the WM build, however so slowly.

• Like 1

I love how there was a complete melt down on Twitter tonight about this finish. Perfectly rational people who are usually wonderful to discuss wrestling with completely lost their fucking minds tonight. Just because the booking is obvious does in no way mean that it's wrong.

It is interesting that Jericho's biggest contribution to the WWE is coming up with the Money In The Bank gimmick.

I was satisfied for the most part.

The Ring of Fire stip seriously decreased my interest in that match even though I've liked everything The Wyatts have done thusfar.  It was basically a squash until the end and now I'm wondering what they're going to do next.  That whole gimmick is at the point where it's either going to fizzle and quickly get dropped or get good.  I'm hoping for the latter as the guys involved are all capable and have done a good job of keeping my interest.

The WHC match was surprisingly good even though Del Rio does nothing for me at all.  The ending segment was really good and I was sure Del Rio was going to pin himself while Christian was trying to counter the armbar.

Like others have said Punk/Lesnar was MOTYC material even though the ending was a bit anticlimactic.

I was expecting an ending like that to Bryan/Cena and am going with my original prediction of Bryan spending the next several months being denyed a fair chance at the title by corporate until he wins the rumble.  Orton looks like even more of a mouthbreather with that beard.  I just hope there's some type of program to make the world title scene interesting for a while as Orton is a colosal bore.

This is good stuff.  If they book this right and they have done so in the past(it's similar to "The Rock keeps get screwed over by Triple-H/McMahons" story from 2000), Bryan is going to be white hot with the crowd especially on RAW tomorrow.  We already know Orton is a good at being bad too.

I was hemming and hawing over ordering this PPV, thinking I would for sure feel cheated if Bryan didn't walk out champion.

Well, Bryan didn't walk out champion...and I don't feel cheated in the slightest.

Bryan beating Cena clean as a sheet was huge, and the match had a great storyline to boot, with Cena wanting to prove the "you can't wrestle" doubters wrong, and getting himself into Bryan's style of match which he has to power his way out of to survive. The celebration lasted long enough that I got what I wanted out of Bryan's win, and now I have more Bryan matches to look forward to as he chases Orton for the title.

Meanwhile, let's not gloss over this: Bryan Danielson, the American Dragon, pinned John Cena clean as a sheet in the main event at SummerSlam. That's just fucking cool.

Also, loved the story of Punk/Lesnar, with Lesnar overpowering Punk, and Punk using his ring smarts and the no-DQ stip to counter that, (I kept wanting the announcers to hint at something like "Not that Brock Lesnar doesn't have experience, but there's no such thing as a no-DQ NCAA match. There's no such thing as a no-DQ UFC match. Punk's done nothing his entirely life but professional wrestling. No-DQ makes him the more experienced competitor",) but his overeagerness to revenge himself upon Heyman proved his undoing.

Let's be honest, I spent my 50 bucks for the above, but ADR/Christian was a damn fine bonus.

The mixed tag was meh, Natty/Brie was meh, Ambrose/RVD wasn't bad, but really didn't blow me away, and the ring of fire stip turned Kane/Wyatt into a snoozefest.

I almost forgot Sandow/Rhodes even happened, though admittedly I'm a bit drunk and that was hours ago. It was a perfectly good Smackdown match, now can they get these two away from each other? I don't fucking care.

• Like 3

I didn't see the PPV, but that sounds like a nice money storyline for the future. Bryan will be the ultimate face now, chasing Orton/HHH and eventually winning back the belt at the Rumble or so. See...wrestling done well doesn't have to be complicated. Well done.

Can't wait to see Punk-Lesnar. Another bullet to the Punk haters.

I love how there was a complete melt down on Twitter tonight about this finish. Perfectly rational people who are usually wonderful to discuss wrestling with completely lost their fucking minds tonight. Just because the booking is obvious does in no way mean that it's wrong.

It is interesting that Jericho's biggest contribution to the WWE is coming up with the Money In The Bank gimmick.

After years and years of swerves + pointless swerves, doing the logical thing is the new swerve.

• Like 2

There was an awful lot of pissing and moaning after the last Royal Rumble too.  Obviously some fans would rather have Russo-ish swerves than logical booking.

Holy fuck, are we still calling him Bryan Danielson, The American Dragon?  Really? OMG  DANIEL BRYAN BEAT THE PROTOTYPE TONIGHT!! Enough with the "he was an indy darling" schtick.  How long ago was that?

Still, great show.  Ending was flat as all hell.  The Orton/HHH turn... blah.  It's been done so many times.  The first question was everyone asking how long it'll be before HHH or Orton turn on each other.  Lesnar/Punk was all that and a bag of chips!  Nothing pretty, just ass kicking.   There's something weird to me about Big E.  He moves so strangely in there.   ADR/Christian was shockingly great.  Really loved it, Christian sold like a king.

Ah, the joys of DVDVR where at least most people can be sensible about the finish, tempered slightly, by what happened in Punk when HHH got involved in 2011, but overall, sensible. Bryan chasing is a thousand times better than Bryan being champ right now. 

• Like 3