DVDVR Message Board

WWE SummerSlam 2013.

The Natural

I doubt Bryan beats Cena. He is keeping that belt for a while. Who else moves nearly as much merchandise? I can see some sort of scenario play out with Orton/Vince. For my own sake I wish they wouldn't insist on another McMahon family power struggle. I know, I know, the seven year rule has passed. But please, just don't make me have to watch their awful vignettes to follow Bryan/Cena/Orton. Please!

But Cena doesn't need the belt to move merch or draw in a segment. He's like Taker, Brock, and HHH. He's bigger than the belt now.

Yeah but try explaining that to WWE creative. We all know this but they either don't/don't care.

But Cena doesn't need the belt to move merch or draw in a segment. He's like Taker, Brock, and HHH. He's bigger than the belt now.

Yeah but try explaining that to WWE creative. We all know this but they either don't/don't care.

That's why they had the belt on other people from MitB 2011 to Mania this year?

I doubt Bryan beats Cena. He is keeping that belt for a while. Who else moves nearly as much merchandise? I can see some sort of scenario play out with Orton/Vince. For my own sake I wish they wouldn't insist on another McMahon family power struggle. I know, I know, the seven year rule has passed. But please, just don't make me have to watch their awful vignettes to follow Bryan/Cena/Orton. Please!

Hasn't it been said that the McMahons are on TV more because the network wants them there?

Bryan winning MITB seemed super obvious, and they went another route.

Bryan winning and then Orton cashing in now seems obvious, so there's no way they're doing that. 

What if Cena won a close match, then Orton tried to cash in at Vince's behest, and Bryan was the one who took out Orton and allowed Cena to survive the cash in? Would that be enough elevation to keep Bryan's momentum while still putting off the final move all the way up to the top?

MITB cash-ins aren't no DQ.  If Bryan interfered, no matter how cool it was, it'd just be a shitty DQ finish that wouldn't do anything for anyone.

The only way it would work is if Bryan massacred Orton with kicks and Cena pinned him.  The match doesn't work that way.

That's why they had the belt on other people from MitB 2011 to Mania this year?

Right now its supposed to be all about Cena's redemption. Whatever that is. The whole point of keeping the belt from him for so long was to lead to this, him beating Rock at Wrestlemania in their rematch and holding the title for a long reign. Bryan winning is so obvious here or Orton cashing in, I just do not see them doing it. I think Cena keeps it until Survivor Series in Boston. Because its his hometown so Orton/Vince screwing him there works.

Hasn't it been said that the McMahons are on TV more because the network wants them there?

I hadn't heard about the network wanting the McMahons on there. Makes sense, still is annoying. If the network is insisting at least there is an explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

Vince and HHH, nobody gives a shit about Stephanie. 

This card on paper is looking real weird to me right now

Nattie-Brie Bella in the first non-title diva PPV match in forever

Rhodes-Sandow in a feud that started out promising and hasn't gone anywhere.  Sandow loses every match since he won the case, and Rhodes hasn't gotten over as a face at all

HHH shoved into the middle of the main event, which makes me way less excited for it than I was

A mixed tag, where the heel team just lost to Nattie/Khali on RAW

Christian, who isn't world title big 4 match over, in the world title match

Mark Henry not even on the show.  Maybe they'll add Henry/Show vs. The Shield.  Hopefully.

Ambrose and RVD stuck on the pre-show.  RVD goes from huge comeback in the main event a month ago, to the pre-show.  Nice job there WWE.

I was pretty excited for this show the first few weeks after MITB, but every week I'm getting less and less interested

• Like 1

Ambrose and RVD stuck on the pre-show.  RVD goes from huge comeback in the main event a month ago, to the pre-show.  Nice job there WWE.

As I said last month, the Youtube pre-show is their big push right now, and as such it's not the death slot the old free-view match turned into.  If it were the old free-view it'd be Rhodes/Sandow in the youtube slot, not the still-getting-a-massive-push Ambrose and the welcome-back-push RVD.

Plus last month they showed the match on the hype show, not just youtube. 

I think the PG inferno match is by far the weirdest thing on the undercard. "This is not intended to set anyone on fire, just to keep other people out of the ring." 

I'm fairly sure Show/Henry are accepting The Shield's open challenge. Christian/Del Rio is a great #3 match as both guys can work a solid tv-style match that will be good without overshadowing the main events.

The McMahons getting all over the Cena/Bryan feud has brought it down somewhat, but I'm almost thinking they'll "swerve" everyone by running a totally clean match at this point. There's just so much emphasis on the outside forces, I don't know what else could possibly be surprising. Worst case scenario, there's still about 30 minutes of awesome wrestling before the fuck finish.

And meanwhile, Punk/Lesnar has quietly turned into a very good feud. It was neck and neck with Cena/Bryan as far as my interest was concerned a month ago. Now, it's the clear number one. Both guys have been tearing it up on the mic and in their brawls. Should be a great match if the keep it around 15 minutes or less. No point letting Lesnar get blown up trying to work a WWE epic, just let those two sprint and work it like a Vader WCW or 99 AJ match.

I think some people would enjoy Stephanie turning heel in a way that emasculates HHH.

No they would prefer her going away forever. Worse TV personality than Vince Russo. I suppose things could be worse. Shane could comeback and beat Bryan. 

As someone who, even as a kid, favored the likes of Savage and the Rockers and Bret Hart over Hogan and his ilk... there's something very visceral about cheering for Bryan in this match, much like there was in cheering for Punk at MITB 2011. Probably no coincidence that they're both guys my indy nerd college age self was watching on tapes in 2001.

I just want to see Bryan make Cena tap.

• Like 1