DVDVR Message Board

WWE SummerSlam 2013.

The Natural

I know the show isn’t till the 18th of August but with John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan for the WWE Championship and CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar, this is the most I’ve looked forward to a PPV since Money in the Bank 2011. It’s going to be the first SummerSlam I’ve ordered since SummerSlam 2008. Judging by the talk on the board, I'm not the only one looking forward to it so I thought we could use this thread to chat about the show before and after it.

The match I’m most interested in is John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan. I’m hoping it gets time to become a classic and Bryan goes over cleanly winning the WWE Championship. I also hope if Bryan wins, we don’t get Randy Orton cashing in the Money in the Bank briefcase for the WWE Championship and wins it. Daniel Bryan’s time is now. Bryan’s had a great singles run since Team Hell No ended submitting Randy Orton, pinning Sheamus cleanly, had a Gauntlet match with a good match against Jack Swagger, the WWE Match of the Year so far with Antonio Cesaro and giving Ryback again his best ever match. On this week’s RAW, Bryan pinned Kane cleanly.

As for CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar, I think this has the potential to challenge John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar at Extreme Rules 2012 for Lesnar’s best WWE match since his return. I need to watch CM Punk vs. John Cena on RAW as I really liked it at the time but need to see it with fresh eyes. I also really liked The Undertaker vs. CM Punk at WrestleMania XXIX was great and Punk vs. Chris Jericho at Payback. Brock Lesnar's had four matches since his WWE return and the only one I didn't enjoy at all was with Triple H at WrestleMania XXIX.

The card looks like PPV-of-the-Decade material on paper, but I don't wanna get my hopes up that much. The top two matches are the most intriguing ones WWE has run in a long time, then you've got ADR/Christian and probably a Shield 6-man which would both have MOTN potential on most shows. Cody/Sandow and Ziggler/Langston should both be solid and Kaitlyn and AJ have had surprisingly decent matches at the last 2 ppvs and I don't see anything else getting the potential diva spot here. Kane/Wyatt is the only match that looks subpar, but even that has a good story with a hot new faction and lot of potential creative directions to go.

I really hope they find something good for Orton to do because I really don't wanna see a MITB cash-in here. The whole "Orton as a corporate champ" thing would be good in most situations, but Bryan is too hot right now to mess with. Plus Bryan has already beat Orton and it doesn't make sense to have Bryan go back and chase him. Now if they could find a way to get the MITB case into Lesnar's hands, then they could be onto something.

I really hope they find something good for Orton to do because I really don't wanna see a MITB cash-in here. The whole "Orton as a corporate champ" thing would be good in most situations, but Bryan is too hot right now to mess with. Plus Bryan has already beat Orton and it doesn't make sense to have Bryan go back and chase him. Now if they could find a way to get the MITB case into Lesnar's hands, then they could be onto something.

The most logical person for Orton to cash it in on would be Bryan.  The whole "weak link" stuff seemed to be building towards someone out of Bryan/Kane/Orton winning MITB and cashing it in on another of the group.  It doesn't have to be at Summerslam. 

If the storyline is Orton needing the briefcase then ducking a rematch because he can't win a fair fight, then Bryan having previously beaten Orton just adds to that.  (But they've actually traded wins between Payback and Money in the Bank.)

Let me be the first to float the overly hopeful theory that Bryan wins the title, Orton cashes in and BRYAN WINS AGAIN.

It's not quite winning over Austin/Rock on the same night, but I'm hoping the gauntlet match last week was a hint toward this outcome.

• Like 2

The most logical person for Orton to cash it in on would be Bryan.  The whole "weak link" stuff seemed to be building towards someone out of Bryan/Kane/Orton winning MITB and cashing it in on another of the group.  It doesn't have to be at Summerslam. 

If the storyline is Orton needing the briefcase then ducking a rematch because he can't win a fair fight, then Bryan having previously beaten Orton just adds to that.  (But they've actually traded wins between Payback and Money in the Bank.)

Oh, it makes plenty of sense, but it's just a step back for Bryan at this point. A corporate heel turn for Orton would require a fairly long run as champ to be effective, but there's way less value in Orton at the top and bringing Vince/HHH to the forefront instead of letting Bryan just do his thing. I like Orton more than most here, but this is just a bad situation for him. It's definitely in WWE's best interest right now to go full throttle with Bryan and see if he can draw. Orton is who he is at this point and his push can be postponed indefinitely without consequence.

As I much as I hate to suggest this, the best way out might be to have Orton cash in and HHH costs him the match as part of the ongoing power struggle with Vince. This should not happen at Summer Slam, btw.

Let me be the first to float the overly hopeful theory that Bryan wins the title, Orton cashes in and BRYAN WINS AGAIN.

It's not quite winning over Austin/Rock on the same night, but I'm hoping the gauntlet match last week was a hint toward this outcome.

I'm on board with this.  Bryan beating Cena via Small Package, perhaps out of the AA (Because let's face it, SuperCena ain't tapping), Orton cashing in, and Bryan doing a kick ass reversing a RKO into the Yes! Lock tap out would be sweet.

If that happens, the Internets would explode.  Yes, every single Internet.

Bryan works REALLY well as the underdog chasing the bigger guy.  Bryan losing the belt to a heel Orton keeps him in that role for another two PPV's, this time with a good angle (Bryan vs. Vince/Randy) as opposed to this, which is Cena gifting him a title shot because of his surging popularity.

I don't think Orton cashing in on Bryan at SS is a bad thing, but I do think that Bryan losing the match with Cena is a bad thing.  He needs to be shifted into the #1 or #2 spot.  He's an interim #2 right now, so to speak.  Bryan chasing corporate champion Randy Orton until SurSer or the Rumble could be awesome.

Conversely, and I know everybody's head will explode at the idea, but Cena losing and then defending Bryan before Orton can cash in would get most people what they want.  It would keep the belt on Bryan, keep the heat between Vince/Cena and Bryan, don't give me any crap about it cutting Bryan's legs because he would have just defeated Cena for the belt.  

You could have your Cena vs. Orton feud away from the title, while Bryan does his Bret Hart tour of making any challenger look good, maybe a D-Bry and friends vs. Vince's thugs at Survivor Series, and the whole time you're wondering when Orton will come to cash in.

Well, as long as we're fantasy booking.

I'd have Cena win at Summerslam due to Vince shennanigans, leading Cena to say "Not that way!" and demand a rematch on Raw.  Then I'd have Brad Maddox piss off Vince by making the rematch for the following Raw.  Daniel Bryan says he proved he can win three matches in a row, so how about two-out-of-three falls.  Maddox says "Great idea!" and books Cena in a gauntlet match of his own.  Cena practically squashes Swagger but has a bit of a harder time with Antonio Cesaro before prevailing.  Then, he shocks everyone by losing cleanly to Curtis Axel.

This leads to the question of whether Cena can last (ignoring that he beat Ryback in a 3 Stages of Hell match at Payback).  The next week on Raw, Cena vs Bryan.  They trade submissions in the first two falls, but more wackiness leads to a non-finish in the third fall.  (And the reason I am putting this on Raw is because I don't want to end a PPV that way.)

On the next Raw, Cena and Bryan decide to up the ante even further.  After a dueling promo, they both agree to demand that at the next PPV, Night of Champions, they will have a one-hour Iron Man match.

While there are teases of a Montreal homage, the title match ends up being straight-forward.  Cena jumps out to a 3-1 lead in the first half-hour, but it becomes clear he is running out of steam.  Daniel Bryan chips away at the lead and it ends up being 4-4 with five minutes left.  In the end, Daniel Bryan gets one last pinfall with a roll-up, as Cena is just too exhausted to kick out.  Barely able to stand, Cena hands Daniel Bryan the belt, raises his hand, then quietly exits the ring to let Bryan have his moment.  As he walks backward up the ramp, he is hit from behind.  It's Randy Orton!  Daniel Bryan barely has the energy to fight back and eventually succumbs and Randy Orton is champion.  As a final indignity, he gives Bryan a punt to the head.  He is reported to be suffering from a severe concussion.

The next PPV, three weeks away is Battleground.  Since it apparently will not be the return of Wargames, let's say it has some weapons matches to fit the theme.  Orton defeats Cena in bloodless hardcore match.  Orton's celebration on Raw is cut short by a returning Daniel Bryan, who attacks Orton and demands a match at the next PPV.  SInce that PPV is Hell in a Cell, guess what kind of match Daniel Bryan wants.

I'd be tempted to have Cena and Bryan trade the title back-and-forth a couple of times before dropping the Orton bomb on them, but I'm not sure it is a good idea to have that match on three straight PPVs.  Can it be stretched out with defenses against other wrestlers mixed in so that the rubber match is at TLC?

I fear that the WWE knows that everyone sees the telegraphed Bryan winning, and then Orton cashing in booking as an inevitability. Instead, they will bring about shenanigans that I think would be unique to the MITB Cash-in (so it's at least original). Bryan and Cena get into a double knockdown spot leading to a ten count. Cena is the first to get up which spawns Orton to pop up from under the ring and deck Cena with the briefcase leading to a DQ win for Cena. With Cena laid out, Orton punts Bryan as he's getting up to incapacitate him. An RKO to Cena = Orton as new champ.  You set yourself up for a good mix of matches in the coming weeks/months, but you kill all good will booking in the process with a fan base that has really gotten behind Bryan's underdog angle.

I'm going to Summerslam so fuck all your scenarios that don't end with Daniel Bryan tapping out Cena and then tapping out Orton...followed by Bryan leading me and the Staples Center in a Yes! Chant as the show closes...

...ONLY FOR MARK HENRY TO EMERGE FROM A HOLE FROM BENEATH THE RING AND GIVE BRYAN A WORLD'S STRONGEST SLAM AND TELLING US THAT'S WHAT HE DOES.

• Like 4

I am very intrigued by the card but who is going to be surprised if Bryan loses a competitive match and then Cena moves on to something else? I don't buy that Cena is going to take a backseat to a babyface Daniel Bryan. This whole year is somehow about REDEMPTION for Cena and that means a lengthy title reign. Maybe even longer than Punk's.

Get ready to be disappointed.

I see it going in any of these two directions:

- Bryan wins title, Orton cashes in and wins turning him heel because he just shat on the most beloved face's big moment. He may or may not align with McMahon.

- Bryan wins title, Orton cashes in and loses, then snaps at Bryan turning heel in the process.

I don't think Cena is retaining, Bryan is just too damn popular right now to lose the match imo.

I see one of two scenarios happening:

1) Daniel Bryan takes Cena to the limit and Cena eeks out a victory. I could almost see Bryan rolling Cena up in a small package, only for Cena to reverse the pinfall at 2.9 seconds and roll Bryan over for the pin. No post-match cash in, show ends; or

2) Daniel Bryan reverses the AA into a small package and wins. Out comes Randy Orton who can't get the pinfall on Bryan. Bryan turns the tables on Orton, but can't quite get the pinfall on him. Out comes Vince with Maddox and then you do the deal where it looks like Vince is going to help Bryan, but double-crosses him. Maddox announces the match is no DQ and no countout. Vince lends Orton a chair who goes to town on Bryan. Bryan keeps getting up over and over again ala Tommy Dreamer and Sandman, Colt and 'Cide, etc. HHH comes out and we get a callback to when Bryan lost to Orton because Bryan was possibly injured. This time HHH lets Bryan continue. Bryan eventually doesn't get back up and loses, much to HHH's dismay. A new corporate champion is born and we get the interesting twist of babyface HHH getting behind babyface Daniel Bryan. The whole thing could take 40 minutes total, with 30 for the first match and 10 for the second.