DVDVR Message Board

A thread for nitpicking about movies/tv shows

Larry Rydell

There was this women's magazine in the shop a couple of days ago, with Kate Winslet on the cover. It described her as Hollywood's Greatest Rulebreaker (meaning she's not like other Hollywood actresses or something... naturally I took it was meaning the Kayfabe word for Heel in Apter mags) or some such... which put me on a tangent about how you could change her films to make her the heel. The first one I thought of was that she sank the Titanic on purpose because she wanted to steal that necklace, and kill Billy Zane at the same time. Everyone else was just collateral damage.

Rules you dont break: how to get an oscar

http://youtu.be/aR2mBxumNe4

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried to like the "New CBS Hit Drama" Scorpion.  The characters are decent enough....

But Lord of Light, if you're gonna make a show about super-smart geniuses, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ZEUS HIRE SOMEONE AS A TECH CONSULANT!!!!

I can deal with supernatural Hacking, because real hacking is boring as hell, but the shit they peddled as possible so far makes my head explode.  I can write a "Gregg reviews a WWE Match" level diatriabe about all the bullshit in the first episode that simply doesn't work, and that's not touching the next two.

• 3 weeks later...

How about the murderous gang of Libyan terrorists being on the loose in Back to the Future that pretty much get ignored for most of the film despite being, you know, a murderous gang of Libyan terrorists?

But, yeah! Marty improved his own life considerably and his dad found some confidence!

Priorities.

In John Wick , Keanu loads his new puppy into his muscle car and then goes and does this mind-clearing thing where he tears around a construction yard doing donuts and slamming on the brakes at high speed. All with a little puppy not buckled into anything. So where was the dog?

In John Wick , Keanu loads his new puppy into his muscle car and then goes and does this mind-clearing thing where he tears around a construction yard doing donuts and slamming on the brakes at high speed. All with a little puppy not buckled into anything. So where was the dog?

Dogs love that stuff.

They think of it like surfing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Debbie not going babyface and siding with the Addams family in Addams Family Values.

Strictly speaking, she wasn't that much worse than they were. And it was clear, in the confrontation at the end, that Morticia and her mother were deeply impressed by her past crimes.  She'd have been a great addition to the family, the wacky sister-in-law who's murdered all her other husbands but is really trying to make it work with Fester.

• Like 1

I was just watching Point Break again, and I realize it was a sandwich stand in downtown LA in the early 90s, but two lemonades, a tuna sandwich, and two meatball subs coming to only $7.84?  I think not.  My guess is there actually was a dead rhino somewhere and they were cutting random hunks of meat off of it to cook and sell in sandwiches.  The minimal overhead allowed for such low prices, so who knows, Pappas actually might have been eating the ass out of a dead rhino after all.