DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

4 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

In Secret Invasion, yeah. Then got written off again.

The sorta amusing thing is she was never written off the first time. She kinda disappeared and Defalco had no time to give her a proper send off. I do appreciate him merging the teen Franklin/Nathaniel stuff into Onslaught. Nathaniel had been warning an enemy would kill the FF and Avengers, Defalco just went with Onslaught. Who I have a lot of affection toward for whatever reason. 

Superior_Spider-Man_1.jpg

The Superior Spider-Man #1 arrived in January 2013 so five years old, January 2018. The Superior Spider-Man is Otto Octavius/Doctor Octopus in possession of Peter Parker/Spider-Man’s mind and body. Superior Spider-Man is arrogant, rude, uses increased violence and occasionally murders.

I’m a big fan of the Superior Spider-Man era with his titular book by Dan Slott, Avenging Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man Team-Up by Christopher Yost who writes Superior Spider-Man the best and Nick Spencer’s the Superior Foes of Spider-Man. SpOck is my second favourite Spider after Peter Parker. I really wanted to get the limited edition Superior Spider-Man Funko Pop and after near misses, I finally got one last October.

My top five Superior Spider-Man stories are:

1. Doctor Octopus is dead, (Avenging Spider-Man #15.1) *YOST*

2. Superior Spider-Man/Wolverine and the X-Men, (Avenging Spider-Man #16) *YOST*

3. Superior Spider-Man and the Future Foundation, (Avenging Spider-Man #17) *YOST*

4. Day in the Life/Outside the Box/Suicide Run, (The Amazing Spider-Man #698-700) *SLOTT*

5. The Aggressive Approach/Emotional Triggers, (The Superior Spider-Man #4-5) *SLOTT*

The Amazing Spider-Man #799 is the third part of Go Down Swinging as Dan Slott’s Spider-Man run is ending. Peter Parker calls in his superhero friends for help against the Red Goblin as he’s hurt. Have to admit I liked Silk getting laid out and Miles Morales overpowered Venom Blast no sold. Good issue though my least favourite of the story so far. Let’s see if Dan Slott can stick (cymbal crash) the landing.

On 5/30/2018 at 5:19 PM, Victator said:

The sorta amusing thing is she was never written off the first time. She kinda disappeared and Defalco had no time to give her a proper send off. I do appreciate him merging the teen Franklin/Nathaniel stuff into Onslaught. Nathaniel had been warning an enemy would kill the FF and Avengers, Defalco just went with Onslaught. Who I have a lot of affection toward for whatever reason. 

Onslaught is a really solid concept for a big boss with the benefit of having been used sparingly since his first rumble.

• Like 1

I'm kind of disappointed with the Asguardians of the Galaxy announcement. I was hoping it would be a follow up to Aaron's tease of Thor eventually joining the GotG. Also feels weird to have none of the members be Beta-Ray Bill. On the other hand it is nice to see Thunderstrike used (even with the shitty hair style they have on him), I've been wondering what Angela was up to, and Throg being used amuses me. Not a total loss I guess.

• Like 1

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #25. So begins Gwenom Part 1 as Gwenom sets out for revenge on those who left her father in a coma. Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) reaches the #25 issue mark and it’s a superb issue for it. One of Spider-Gwen’s best. You have callbacks to Spider-Gwen’s history: her first appearance in Edge of Spider-Verse #2, villains she faced, key moments all appreciated by me as a fan from buying her debut issue and the ongoing series. You also get Spider-Gwen battling the symbiote’s influence.

There’s a nice touch inside of Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1) #1’s cover updated with Gwenom, the rest is the same. The bio makes a welcome return on Spider-Gwen, her information updated since her bio in Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #1. Here it’s under Venom A.K.A. “Gwenom” with the drawing of that. There’s an effective tease for Spider-Gwen #26 as the cover sees Gwenom and S.H.I.E.L.D. in her eye. The issue ends with a really good three page story recapping Spider-Gwen’s origin and what she stands for drawn by a favourite Spidey artist of mine, Mark Bagley.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #26. Gwenom is concerning people as she’s not behaving her normal self as Spider-Woman. Gwenom pays a visit to an S.H.I.E.L.D. prison. Gwen’s friends are looking for her as she hasn’t been seen. I looked forward to this issue since I read the last and it was great. The issue brought all these together well. The best thing? Faces we haven’t seen in a while in Cindy Moon, Felicia Hardy last appeared in Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1) #5 and Captain America. I’m ready for Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #27 now!

Picking up my usual comic books, I haven’t had Spider-Gwen since the last issue. Hopefully the LCS I go to can get it as he’s missed a few books on my pull list before.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #27. The cop who let Rhino beat Captain Stacy in prison gets a backstory. Gwenom wants her revenge for his actions so he turns to Foggy Nelson for help. A good issue though my least favourite of the storyline to date.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #28. Gwen Stacy meets those who know her secret identity as her life is split in two and wanting to let them know why Gwen has to die. This was quite good. Better still is Matt Murdock’s art written and drawn. Matt’s past has been touched on art times in the main story and his bio in Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #3, this is the most we’ve seen of it.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #29. Gwenom and the Punisher are out for Murdock, the Kingpin for his crimes. You get Spider-Gwen vs. Captain America II. The end is something expected at some point in the book’s tenure. A decent issue.

Free Comic Book Day 2018: The Amazing Spider-Man. I’d argue this was the most anticipated FCBD offering as its by the new creative team on the book, Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley. Some of Spider-Man’s quips were funny, liked the use of Wilson Fisk as I did in Spencer’s Secret Empire. Not keen on Pete flat sharing with Randy Roberson and someone in the cliffhanger. Pressure on Nick Spencer with Captain America is HYDRA controversy and following Dan Slott’s long run on Spider-Man. I’ll certainly be getting the first issue and probably till #3 to see what it does for me.

UPDATE: I write my reviews out then type them up. After writing this I nipped online to find the announcement of a Spider event already teased as Spidergeddon. Spider-Verse II? Spider cull? Something for other Spiders besides Peter keeping them busy?

Free Comic Book Day 2018: The Avengers/Captain America acts as tasters for the new creative teams. Avengers by Jason Aaron is effective Odin’s conversation with Black Panther/Loki and a threat brought down by a time’s Avengers is back. Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates is narrated by a group rebelling what is now, it was fine.

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

Free Comic Book Day 2018: The Amazing Spider-Man. I’d argue this was the most anticipated FCBD offering as its by the new creative team on the book, Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley. Some of Spider-Man’s quips were funny, liked the use of Wilson Fisk as I did in Spencer’s Secret Empire. Not keen on Pete flat sharing with Randy Roberson and someone in the cliffhanger. Pressure on Nick Spencer with Captain America is HYDRA controversy and following Dan Slott’s long run on Spider-Man. I’ll certainly be getting the first issue and probably till #3 to see what it does for me.

UPDATE: I write my reviews out then type them up. After writing this I nipped online to find the announcement of a Spider event already teased as Spidergeddon. Spider-Verse II? Spider cull? Something for other Spiders besides Peter keeping them busy?

1528492691642.jpg

Superior Spider-Man!!!

Spider-Gwen!!

Spinneret from Renew Your Vows!

Silk...Fuck.

No Earth-616 Jessica Drew is disappointing.

A fault of Spider-Verse and Marvel Comics is too many spiders.

Interesting it's not by Nick Spencer the new ASM writer but Christos Gage.

Ooh, Mayday, nice. I'm always happy to see Gage getting work. That reminds me that I never did read that Spider-verse event. Actually I think the last thing I read was Superior Spider-man.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Ooh, Mayday, nice. I'm always happy to see Gage getting work. That reminds me that I never did read that Spider-verse event. Actually I think the last thing I read was Superior Spider-man.

Best things about Spider-Verse: Superior Spider-Man getting a lead part and Spider-Gwen's introduction prior to it in Edge of Spider-Verse #2, her debut.

Here's my updated review of it if you/anyone is interested:

The Amazing Spider-Man #9-15: Spider-Verse. Spiders from other worlds are getting killed by a family called the Inheritors which include Morlun who consume their life force. Spiders from different Earths go to Spider-Man to stop them.

I enjoyed the return on Ben Reilly’s Spider-Man. There are two standout Spiders. The first is the Superior Spider-Man whose exchanges made me chuckle and his fights versus the original Spider-Man with their history. Through the story, SpOck learns what will happen to him as we know but seems to have an out to stop this. I wonder the play as I’m a big fan of the SSM. The second Spider is Spider-Gwen who I feel by far will be the most fondly remembered thing from this event.

I enjoyed the brief return on Ben Reilly’s Spider-Man and the big moment of the new Scarlet Spider-Man, Kaine Parker. The use of Ultimate Spider-Man from the cartoon series is funny. Dan Slott deserves credit there considering I’m not a fan of the show at all. The epilogue issue, #15 is a better job at ending the story than #14 as originally that was supposed to be the final one.

Silk continues to be annoying as a smart ass, randy, disobedient, written to be one of the three most important Spiders of the plot and rescues Peter again. Slott’s creation, Silk’s push since debut in The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1 to this is forced. I don’t like the character.

There are a lot of tieins, you’ll get a box saying check this out in a separate title, you feel like you’re missing out on more time given to character/characters. I only bought two (Spider-Verse: Team-Up #1-2). The event is samey, Spiders chased by Inheritors with fights along the way. With so many Spiders, some are pointless filler. A smaller scope may have been more beneficial.

The writing makes our Spidey very stupid for not remembering an Inheritors weakness till the story demands. I don’t like how two Spiders I like are killed. I found one out in TASM (2014) #13 where the actual killing happened in a tiein and the second with the work done by, well I won’t name the writer as it shall give the Spider away. #14 is so rushed.

It's less the Surfer and more, well...

Galactus literally spent a bunch of Ultimates2 fighting cosmic forces to stay the Lifebringer. It's a major deal for the cosmic order. The fact that he was like "Oh a planet of bombs, guess I gotta do it." felt super hollow, especially after he literally just brawled with Celestials and Ego and could probably have trashed the planet without eating it. Very much just a "Gotta rush back to status quo." move.

Related to Al Ewing, Immortal Hulk #1 is a full on done in one and one of the best single issues I've read this year so far. It does the Bruce Jones thing of making the Hulk more of a boogeyman in a horror story but does so while still keeping it firmly in an MCU vibe. It's really great and if you even think you'll like it a little, you should give it a shot.

• Like 1

That sucks about Galactus though its not surprising. Ewing's variation was never going to stick no matter how great it was. Its a shame considering how open for new things he left the cosmic side.

Just like the Galactus thing, I do think we could get a few more years out of quasi-heroic Doom. That said, if they were to lean into it, the idea of a villainous Doom who was tormented by the idea that he had won, that he had gained the power of a god but that he had not been strong enough to hold it/utilize it, could lead to some interesting stories. I'm just not convinced they'd lean into it as opposed to just soft rebooting the character.

On 6/13/2018 at 9:34 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I'm dreading quasi-heroic Doom who just wants to have fun and entertain the WWE Universe.

So basically turn Doom into Norman The Lunatic?

James

On 5/31/2018 at 7:01 PM, The Natural said:

The Amazing Spider-Man #799 is the third part of Go Down Swinging as Dan Slott’s Spider-Man run is ending. Peter Parker calls in his superhero friends for help against the Red Goblin as he’s hurt. Have to admit I liked Silk getting laid out and Miles Morales overpowered Venom Blast no sold. Good issue though my least favourite of the story so far. Let’s see if Dan Slott can stick (cymbal crash) the landing.

The Amazing Spider-Man #800 is the conclusion to Go Down Swinging, the penultimate issue of Dan Slott’s long Spider-Man run. Peter Parker/Spider-Man battles Norman Osborn/Green Goblin turned Red by the Carnage symbiote. This was a packed issue and a great one marking the 800 landmark/Dan Slott’s time on the book is almost up. Characters get their moment and there are callbacks to Slott’s past Spider-Man works. As someone critical of Dan Slott post Superior Spider-Man with the odd exception, Go Down Swinging is one of his best stories in years.

The chapter breaks with each drawn by an artist closely associated with Slott’s run on the book: Humberto Ramos, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Stuart Immonen and Marcos Martin.

Flash Thompson went out a hero helping out more than any other is killed by the Red Goblin. One of the better character reinventions as Flash loses his legs in armed service and becomes Agent Venom hosting the symbiote for the military/a superhero.

Doctor Octopus showing up was a highlight to me with how well Dan’s used him in his tenure.

J. Jonah Jameson trying to amend things for inadvertently giving Parker’s secret identity to Norman at the start of this arc.

I enjoyed the references to The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

Spider-Man how he beats the Red Goblin by saying Carnage will get the credit for killing Spider-Man and that won’t do for Norman’s arrogance/egotism.

The double page spread as Spider-Man swings with the emergency service vehicles and his accompanying narration.

I liked how staying after the credits gets you something copying the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies by Marvel Studios. Here it’s Doctor Otto Octavius under an assumed name/identity joining Horizon University.

A few faults to Go Down Swinging, the black symbiote not doing much when Peter sported it. Harry’s Mom alive did little to the narrative.

• Like 1