DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Oh for sure. That may be one of the best showings from a small but loyal fanbase ever. But the book was still selling less than 20k by 2007, much less by the end. So unless you legit believe five Spider books were selling less than 20k cumulatively when you could still buy them at spinner racks and convenience stores, I think you're mistaking personal relevance with broad reality.

EDIT: Yeah. Spider-man #74 sold 84k in the direct market and wasn't even the best selling Reilly title that month toward the end. By comparison Spider-girl #3 sold about 56k. Not trying to argue May's series as a failure, but there were never as many eyes on it as there were for Ben as Spidey.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #10. Frank Castle enlists the help of a character in the mainstream Marvel Universe making their debut here, Kraven the Hunter to prove Spider-Gwen’s identity. Frank was told to drop this case however. I really liked the issue as Gwen/Captain Stacy don’t know what to do about her powers now limited to a few power-ups, Frank’s actions not bound by rules and Kraven’s first appearance in this universe. The bio I always enjoy is on Kraven the Hunter.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #11. Spider-Gwen goes to the Reed Richards of their Earth-65 to see if he can fix the device along with the limited power-ups which temporarily gives her powers. Frank Castle tells his partner, Jean DeWolff and her bosses are welcome to try and stop him. A solid issue. DeWolff gets the bio treatment.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #12. It’s the rematch between Spider-Gwen and the Punisher fighting it out. The Punisher has no limits doing what he deems right. This was a great issue for the confrontation, Captain Stacy/Jean DeWolff/Ben Grimm reacting to Castle’s actions, two newsworthy items I won’t spoil and Matt Murdock’s welcome return last seen in Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #5. Stacy and Mrudock are the best characters in this world. The bio, funny too is on the Reed Richards from this Earth, Earth-65.

Deadpool (Vol. 4): Deadpool vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn collects Deadpool #20-25 and this was a 31st birthday present. Deadpool #20 is an issue set in the ‘60s as Deadpool holidays in Wakanda which turns into a cosmic treasure hunt, it was fine. The subtitle to this volume is in Deadpool #21-25 as Deadpool is out to get his money from S.H.I.E.L.D. after killing the undead United States Presidents. This was bloody good/funny with the Deadpool vs. Crossbones fights, Deadpool taking on soldiers from Ultimatum for their reactions and a Watchmen reference to Crossbones.

New Mutants #98 and Deadpool #27 I bought these reprints which came out around Deadpool (2016) movie release.  New Mutants #98, Deadpool is paid to assassinate Cable. This issue marks Deadpool’s debut by Rob Liefeld/Fabian Nicieza so that’s the main thing to take away from it. Deadpool 27 by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn sees the wedding of Deadpool. A funny story I’ve come to expect from this team. I chuckled at the Mephisto/Spider-Man gag and Deadpool’s hunt for someone to marry them.

48 minutes ago, Ace said:

I love Mark Waid, but his current Avengers run is doing absolutely nothing for me.

Yeah. ANAD was fine but uninspired too.

Champions has been pretty good, but given the cast and direction I can't help but wonder if getting a person of colour either writing or cowriting wouldn't have been a good idea. Feels a bit too much like a white dude preaching about race/global issues at times. I still like it, but yeah.

The take is fine, but the stories have been terrible. I'm all for doing guest spots and very special inclusionary takes but make sure that the story is good. The first few issues were good but the last few have been painful. I'm a huge fan of Cho as a character but there hasn't been much to latch on to lately.

Deadpool (Vol. 6): Original Sin by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn collects Deadpool (2012) #29-34 and I borrowed this from the library. In Deadpool #29-33 Deadpool needs to kill vampire nests and needs a weapon for the leveled up vamps, the mutant Dazzler. S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Emily Preston and Scott Adsit learn via the Original Sin event revelations about Deadpool’s past, one started in previous issues is answered while the other is brand new. A really good story. I liked the use of a birth certificate, a gag at the expense of Bruce Banner/the Incredible Hulk and the primary characters (Nick Fury is black now?) Deadpool #34 takes the reader to the ‘90s with Deadpool, Mr. Butler and Sabertooth. There’s a dark Nirvana line. The new reveal I mentioned earlier plays out in full here, 8 pages with no words and powerful. A bloody good story reminding you how sick Mr. Butler is.

Deadpool: Dracula’s Gauntlet by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn collects the same titled #1-7. Deadpool is hired by Dracula to bring his bride to be in casket to him. There are those who don’t want this to happen and would you believe it? Deadpool and the bride, Queen Shiklah start to agree so Wade/Shiklah/allies have a smackdown with Dracula’s monster forces. This was a really good funny story. I liked how main characters get a funny biography graphic when introduced, two gags on BATMAN and HYDRA Bob brings constant laughs. There’s the welcome callback to Deadpool’s (2012) #2 zoo incident and the deserved barb to Spider-Man: One More Day.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #13. It’s Halloween and the Mary Janes go to an old carnival abandoned once owned by Mysterio. An okay filler issue. I did like looking at the Mary Janes again extending to the bio.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #14. It’s another holiday issue, Thanksgiving and how the characters react to it. An alright issue. I did like Matt Murdock’s dialogue and the talk between Gwen/Aunt May. The art takes a real drop from regular artist Robbie Rodriguez to Chris Visions. Uncle Ben and Aunt May are the focus of the history bio.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #15. This issue is set at Christmas time and there’s developments for Spider-Gwen through Matt Murdock and an adversary of Spider-Gwen. A very good issue, easily the best of the three holidays. I really like these versions of Gwen Stacy and Matt Murdock. The bio I always enjoy is on S.I.L.K. from Earth-65.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

(Nick Fury is black now?)

He's the son of the original 616 Nick Fury, they did a whole origin thing for him and Coulson. They were in the army (I think, some branch of military) together, and ended up at SHIELD. Nick Fury and Phil Coulson aren't their birth names.

• Like 1

Nova #3. No sure why I was caught off guard with the reveal about Rich, but I was. It makes perfect sense and explains how he is alive. I do so hope it leads to the return of the Many-angled Ones or at least Shuma Gorath.

Doctor Octopus spoiler leaked at the start of the week before Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) #25 came out today:

Backstory.jpg?1489588867&interpolation=l

SuperiorOctopus.jpg?1489588871&interpola

Well the octopus is the logo of HYDRA. I'm a big fan of the Superior Spider-Man era, SpOck is my favourite Spider character after Peter Parker.

• Like 1

I kind of stopped paying a lot of attention after Superior. The follow up just sounded so mediocre. Your spoiler makes me think they have been watching Ultimate Spider-man as that feels ripped from there. Pretty sure its more a fault of timing though with the next big event.

• Like 1

I liked Clone Conspiracy an awful lot.  Not sure about updating Doc to a buffy dude with trendy hair.  Doc leading Hydra is kinda interesting.

Agree that turning Pete into a sorta Tony Stark was a bad idea.  Didn't work for me.  Though I feel like Peter Parker is sorta played out.  I don't know that there's much they can do with him that will hold my interest.  I was sorry to see him come back and replace SpOck (though it was inevitable).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

I kind of stopped paying a lot of attention after Superior. The follow up just sounded so mediocre. Your spoiler makes me think they have been watching Ultimate Spider-man as that feels ripped from there. Pretty sure its more a fault of timing though with the next big event.

So mediocre is kind. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) was bad and I dropped the book with Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) #6. When I think of the best Spider-Man writers, Dan's written the worst so for me that damages his case even with the great stories.

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I dont think turning Peter into pseudo Tony Stark worked. And i never really got into the Clone story. 

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I liked Clone Conspiracy an awful lot.  Not sure about updating Doc to a buffy dude with trendy hair.  Doc leading Hydra is kinda interesting.

Agree that turning Pete into a sorta Tony Stark was a bad idea.  Didn't work for me.  Though I feel like Peter Parker is sorta played out.  I don't know that there's much they can do with him that will hold my interest.  I was sorry to see him come back and replace SpOck (though it was inevitable).

Can't comment on Clone Conspiracy as I didn't read it but agree with you both on Peter Stark. I'm open for changes in character if done well like Dick Grayson as Batman, SpOck and the Winter Soldier. This doesn't apply to Peter Parker or Black Cat by Slott. Dan's creation, Silk also sucks. My least favourite Spider.

My top five Spider-Man writers off the top of my head: Stan Lee, Gerry Conway, J Michael Straczynski, Christopher Yost and either Slott or Brian Michael Bendis. When I tried this a while ago, Slott was only behind Stan Lee.

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

Silk's solo comic has been really good. 

16 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Yeah. Silk is one of those rare characters who improved greatly once someone other thanher creators handled her.

See also: America Chavez

Thank you. I don't like Silk written by Dan Slott as it was so forced how good she was. The Silk issues collected in Spider-Women were good. I'd add Christopher Yost's Superior Spider-Man to The Unholy Dragon's list.

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

Hell I'd take Defalco or even Micheline over Slott

James

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

JMD and PAD over Slott for me.

I've only read a little by those writers unfortunately. My top five Spider-Man writers I've read enough to go by.

On 3/15/2017 at 1:30 PM, The Natural said:

Doctor Octopus spoiler leaked at the start of the week before Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) #25 came out today:

Hide contents

Well the octopus is the logo of HYDRA. I'm a big fan of the Superior Spider-Man era, SpOck is my favourite Spider character after Peter Parker.

Same here.  Superior Spoctavius brought me back into reading Spiderman comics.  

• Like 1