DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

11 hours ago, supremebve said:

The Vision series was really fucking good, and the entire thing is 12 issues and available in 2 trades.

I know a pod where Vision is discussed ad nauseum as the best book of the year. 

Marvel just rejigged their free digital code program to include promo issues to promote trade releases rather than a digital copy of the comic just bought. Totally kills the reseller market which I'm sure they're happy about (for those who don't know, basically people sell the digital copy for $1-2 usually and thus partially subsidize the cost of their comics) but given that a lot of that market is now talking about cutting 10-20 titles a month due to not being able to afford it without those code sales, I dunno if they really considered this one fully.

People who like to keep their comics more or less pristine are also pissed, and people are pointing out correctly that having more than one copy of the same 2-3 titles per month of comics isn't a better value than having those same unique comics. It's already messy but given they're launching it with their February titles, I don't think they're going to have time to course correct with continuity even if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

The first issue of the Wasp is getting good bu... reviews. 

I think its going to go in the "well made but not for me" camp. 

It's a lot of fun in the same kinda vein as Mockingbird, Batgirl of Burnside, Ms. Marvel, etc. Doesn't go zany like Squirrel Girl, just a charming teen girl hero book. 

I like the angle that she's a huge geek for science (recognizes Mockingbird for her science work over her superhero stuff) and the notion of finding the best girl geniuses in the MU is a solid hook. It won't be for everyone but as with the other examples it's nice to see superhero comics making a solid effort to reach out to the teen girl demo. Diversifying the audience is important for long term survival and I'm also a big believer in the Dwayne McDuffie philosophy where everyone should be able to see themselves represented in comics, so I call it a plus.

Marvel selling over 1000 target incentive variants (up to 1:25) at fire sale prices to retailers without targets right now. 

Probably speaks to levels they were expecting to sell vs. what they did. But hey, solid way to kill one of the bigger rackets that keeps their sales artificially inflated! Setting the precedent that tons more copies may hit the market later thus devaluing that rare edition is a good way to tank the variant market and thus get retailers to stop boosting their orders to get them. So good job on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Spider-Women collects Spider-Women Alpha #1, Spider-Gwen #7, Silk #7, Spider-Woman #6, Spider-Gwen #8, Silk #8, Spider-Woman #7 and Spider-Woman Omega #1 in this order. Robbie Thompson (Spider-Women Alpha #1/Silk #7-8), Jason Latour (Spider-Gwen #7-8) and Dennis Hopeless (Spider-Woman #6-7 and Spider Women Omega #1). When the crossover happened, I only read Spider-Gwen issues as I subscribe to the book. I found this at the library so I was able to read the whole thing.

Spider-Woman/Spider-Gwen/Silk travel between Earth-616 where Spider-Woman/Silk come from and Earth-65, Spider-Gwen’s Earth. The Spider-Women get stuck in Earth-65 as Gwen’s interdimensional travel watch is stolen by S.I.L.K. run by Cindy Moon from Earth-65. I liked reading the complete work, the interaction between the three Spider-Women but wasn’t keen on how Spider-Gwen was written by Thompson, the jumps between the two universes and Earth-616 characters in Earth-65 for the first time especially Doctor Octopus. This was a good crossover, I need to single out Spider-Gwen #7-8 and Spider-Women Omega #1.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #9. Gwen Stacy struggles dealing with the fallout from Spider-Women and spends time with the Mary Janes. This was a great issue for this universe’s take on Spider-Man: No More and the human side of Gwen’s life out of costume not related to her Dad, Captain George Stacy. The story picks up a storyline from Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1) too. The bio I always enjoy focuses on Cindy-65 from Gwen’s Earth.

Spider-Gwen Annual #1 is made up of five stories all written by regular Spider-Gwen writer, Jason Latour with various artists. The first story looks at Spider-Gwen’s early days in using an important part of Amazing Fantasy #15, the first appearance of Spider-Man. The second story is one page on a Spider-Gwen lame adversary. In story three, Spider-Gwen and Captain America meet as Spider-Gwen has something to show. Story four sees the Watcher watches over the Mary Janes. The final story shows a week and a bit of Spider-Gwen’s life. I liked this book more on a second read. My three favourite stories were #1 spin on Spider-Man’s origin particularly the debut of a character in this world and one getting revenge on what the other will do, #3 was touching and #4 is funny.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28 January 2017 at 6:13 PM, odessasteps said:

Today was not a good day to read civil war: the oath.

the Cap as Hydra agent stuff really wasnt great before, but now, hard to stomach.

I was going to ask if opinion has changed on HYDRA Cap. Still feels weird typing that. I'm in the library as my reservation for Captain America: Steve Rogers Hail Hydra collecting #1-6 and Free Comic Book Day 2016 is in.

Surprised nobody has posted this before me, The Amazing Spider-Man and The Clone Conspiracy spoilers:

I cancelled The Amazing Spider-Man a while ago and should've sooner. I found out the Jackal is Ben Reilly, the original Scarlet Spider and he's getting his own ongoing in April by Peter David and Mark Bagley. I like Ben Reilly as I started reading Spider-Man books during the Clone Saga in Astonishing Spider-Man, a UK title reprinting Spidey stories. I'd be 11-13 maybe.

The cover:

Scarlet Spider #1 cover by Mark Bagley. (Marvel Comics)

I don't mind the costume, smile looks goofy. Costume has a hard act following the first Scarlet Spider costume and Kaine Parker, the second Scarlet Spider's costume. Those are two of my favourite Spider costumes.

On 11/02/2017 at 11:01 AM, The Natural said:

Surprised nobody has posted this before me, The Amazing Spider-Man and The Clone Conspiracy spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

I cancelled The Amazing Spider-Man a while ago and should've sooner. I found out the Jackal is Ben Reilly, the original Scarlet Spider and he's getting his own ongoing in April by Peter David and Mark Bagley. I like Ben Reilly as I started reading Spider-Man books during the Clone Saga in Astonishing Spider-Man, a UK title reprinting Spidey stories. I'd be 11-13 maybe.

The cover:

Scarlet Spider #1 cover by Mark Bagley. (Marvel Comics)

I don't mind the costume, smile looks goofy. Costume has a hard act following the first Scarlet Spider costume and Kaine Parker, the second Scarlet Spider's costume. Those are two of my favourite Spider costumes.

Right move, Marvel:

BRSCSPI2017001_MOCKUP.JPG?1487200751?int

13 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

I know the scheme is more known for Mayday but I would have preferred Ben's Spider-Man costume to the Scarlet Spider costume.

Is it? Mayday had a really hot period there and definitely had loyal fans, but she was always hovering on the brink of cancellation too, after the rest of that line already went...remember J2? Juggernaut's kilt wearing hero son? Or the daughter of Wolverine and Elektra who had Psylocke's psychic knives as claws in maybe the best example of a character that could have only existed in the six months or so around when they debuted as Wolverine and Elektra had a close arc happening at the time. 

Anyway, Mayday always had a small but loyal fanbase, but I feel like outside them the costume is still associated with Ben Reilly. And honestly I question how many readers even remember Spider-Girl at this point.

4 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Is it? Mayday had a really hot period there and definitely had loyal fans, but she was always hovering on the brink of cancellation too, after the rest of that line already went...remember J2? Juggernaut's kilt wearing hero son? Or the daughter of Wolverine and Elektra who had Psylocke's psychic knives as claws in maybe the best example of a character that could have only existed in the six months or so around when they debuted as Wolverine and Elektra had a close arc happening at the time. 

It's really weird that this comes up either the week before or week after that Milligan/Hama Elektra stuff gets reprinted for the first time.

21 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Anyway, Mayday always had a small but loyal fanbase, but I feel like outside them the costume is still associated with Ben Reilly. And honestly I question how many readers even remember Spider-Girl at this point.

II suppose my counterpoint would be that Ben's period as Spider-Man feels a bit like a blip that came after most people were turned off by the Clone Saga. Spider-Girl while never being a major seller at least was around for a while. I at least have read a couple issues of Spider-Girl, I don't believe I ever read a single issue of the Ben's Spider-Man phase.