DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I just realized that I haven't bought a new comic in over a year... I have bought plenty of Archives and Masterworks, but nothing about the current product of either of the big two has really grabbed me. But now there's a new Moon Knight... The one character that I had a complete collection of... From talk here it seems pretty good, guess I'll have to get on board, (though I much prefer to wait for the trades). I used to dig the Inhumans, but that was before they did odd things to Karnak's head. I have no desire to read the Inhumans as Mutants V 2.0, which is what it sounds like Marvel is trying for. Anything else I should be picking up?

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

So, i open my new deadly hands of kung fu omnibus randomly and what do i find: john saxon and jim kelly!20161213_210529_zpsk024dqng.jpg

Two of the coolest mofos that ever lived.

10 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I just realized that I haven't bought a new comic in over a year... I have bought plenty of Archives and Masterworks, but nothing about the current product of either of the big two has really grabbed me. But now there's a new Moon Knight... The one character that I had a complete collection of... From talk here it seems pretty good, guess I'll have to get on board, (though I much prefer to wait for the trades). I used to dig the Inhumans, but that was before they did odd things to Karnak's head. I have no desire to read the Inhumans as Mutants V 2.0, which is what it sounds like Marvel is trying for. Anything else I should be picking up?

Moon Knight is a very good and trippy book right now, written by Jeff Lemire and w a variety of artists. Very much about his multiple personalities. 

The just finished Vision mini is arguably the best superhero book of 2016.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Black Panther and Jason Aaron's Thor

If it's any consolation, the Inhumans push may be winding down:

Spoiler

Was on the Bleeding Cool website today for the first time in a year or two.  Rich Johnson says the Inhumans lose IvX and get exiled to space - an inversion of what Marvel was planning for the X-folks at one point, before Rememder and the editor of the line left.  Johnson has also says that the X-Men will be more prominent going forward.

I'm kinda taking that to mean the experiment to replace mutants with Inhumans in the MCU is winding down.  It seems like something of a failure.

Now if they'd just get better writers on the X-books.  I miss the Gillen-Remender-Carey-Fraction period.  Not a big X-book fan - not even a small X-book fan really, but therer were a number of years there where, at any given time,  at least one or two X-books were really well written.  Not a fan of most of the current crop (though I like Lemire's writing).

While I'm on the subject, I hate the way they killed off older Cyclops.  Yeah, it opens up some fairly interesting story directions for young Cyclops, but that was true no matter what.  Cyclops tweener/antihero/not-quite-full-on-heel turn of the last several years was the first time the character really interested me.  I don't know that there were too many more directions to go with him without being repetitive, or taking a step backwards and babyfacing him, but I still wish they had handled it differently.  Death was a fairly logical conclusion to his story arc, but it was still  a lazy way out.  And killing him off-screen was just... odd.

(I kinda imagine Axel Alonso or someone reading Death of X and screaming "Fuck you. Cyclops" the way Rippa does after Dolph Ziggler does something on Smackdown,)

I scoffed at the idea of a Carnage ongoing or maxiseries, especially by someone who felt so wrong for the character as Conway did on first blush.  But that book is EXCELLENT.  And the idea of having Eddie Brock and John Jameson as the people pressed into service to hunt him down is perfect.

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Reveal hidden contents

Was on the Bleeding Cool website today for the first time in a year or two.  Rich Johnson says the Inhumans lose IvX and get exiled to space - an inversion of what Marvel was planning for the X-folks at one point, before Rememder and the editor of the line left.  Johnson has also says that the X-Men will be more prominent going forward.

I'm kinda taking that to mean the experiment to replace mutants with Inhumans in the MCU is winding down.  It seems like something of a failure.

If that is true, that is a pretty shitty outcome. It seems like the type of thing done just to appease whiny X-fans.

Vision talk reminded me it's a book I'm hoping to read from the library or may get myself.

8 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Reveal hidden contents

Was on the Bleeding Cool website today for the first time in a year or two. Rich Johnson says the Inhumans lose IvX and get exiled to space - an inversion of what Marvel was planning for the X-folks at one point, before Rememder and the editor of the line left. Johnson has also says that the X-Men will be more prominent going forward.

I'm kinda taking that to mean the experiment to replace mutants with Inhumans in the MCU is winding down. It seems like something of a failure.

Now if they'd just get better writers on the X-books. I miss the Gillen-Remender-Carey-Fraction period. Not a big X-book fan - not even a small X-book fan really, but therer were a number of years there where, at any given time, at least one or two X-books were really well written. Not a fan of most of the current crop (though I like Lemire's writing).

While I'm on the subject, I hate the way they killed off older Cyclops. Yeah, it opens up some fairly interesting story directions for young Cyclops, but that was true no matter what. Cyclops tweener/antihero/not-quite-full-on-heel turn of the last several years was the first time the character really interested me. I don't know that there were too many more directions to go with him without being repetitive, or taking a step backwards and babyfacing him, but I still wish they had handled it differently. Death was a fairly logical conclusion to his story arc, but it was still a lazy way out. And killing him off-screen was just... odd.

(I kinda imagine Axel Alonso or someone reading Death of X and screaming "Fuck you. Cyclops" the way Rippa does after Dolph Ziggler does something on Smackdown,)

I read a couple of times Inhumans getting the big push at the expense of the X-Men for the MCU as they don't hold the X-Men licence.

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

I actually think John should read Carnage. It's Marvel's best horror book in a very, very long time. (I know, but it's Gerry Conway and it has a great mood and the Darkhold).

6 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I scoffed at the idea of a Carnage ongoing or maxiseries, especially by someone who felt so wrong for the character as Conway did on first blush. But that book is EXCELLENT. And the idea of having Eddie Brock and John Jameson as the people pressed into service to hunt him down is perfect.

Haven't read it but I thought Gerry Conway's talents could extend to Carnage (he did the same for Black Cat despite Slott changing her so badly) as he's one of the best Spider-Man writers ever. Argument Conway wrote the greatest Spidey story of all time as well.

On 9/21/2016 at 11:56 AM, The Natural said:

I've recently read the Deadpool run by Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn out of the available books from the library/my Sister bought me one for my 31st birthday. Short review, I've really enjoyed this finding it very funny and touching in parts. I'll post reviews in greater detail ASAP.

Thinking I'll do two at a time...

Deadpool Vol. 1: Dead Presidents by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn collects Deadpool #1-6. Dead United States Presidents have risen on behalf of someone wanting them to fix the country. Deadpool is tasked with taking them out by S.H.I.E.L.D. as they can’t have heroes involved, bad publicity. Deadpool’s reputation is already tainted. This is the first Deadpool story I’ve read. I really enjoyed this super funny over the top ride. There’s a dream sequence by Deadpool with Susan Storm/Emma Frost/Dazzler/She-Hulk chatting him up, Deadpool vs. President Lincoln in an MMA cage and Deadpool vs. President Regan in space with chimps. The dialogue in each is hilarious.

Deadpool (Vol. 3): The Good, the Bad and the Ugly by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn collects Deadpool #13-19. I had to skip the second volume as it wasn’t available in the library. Deadpool #13 takes a look back at a lost story from the ‘70s as Deadpool teams up with Power Man and Iron Fist, the Heroes for Hire against the White Man. Deadpool #14 brings this to the present day. Luke Cage is still irritated by those saying Deadpool were partners, a hostage grasses them up and what happens to the White Man. A funny story more the first half as Deadpool meets characters from another hero’s supporting cast, how Deadpool annoys the Heroes for Hire and Deadpool referencing the Comics Code/Iron Man 3 in the ‘70s part.

The title story is in Deadpool #15-19. Deadpool thinks someone has been abducting him to experiment on and turns to fellow Weapon Plus members, Wolverine and Captain America. The man behind this, Mr. Butler needs the cure to cancer and created super-soldiers made up of X-Men/Deadpool genes for the North Korean dictator. On top of this, Deadpool may/may not have fathered a daughter. We get flashbacks to Deadpool’s origin, Wolverine’s too. This was a brilliant story both funny and moving, a difficult balancing act. Strongly recommend this book.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

I read a couple of times Inhumans getting the big push at the expense of the X-Men for the MCU as they don't hold the X-Men licence.

That's been the rumor for awhile now, but I don't think the Inhumans super-push has played out like they hoped.  It doesn't seem like the books or the characters have broken out at the way the X-Men did.

I'll still bitter over the way FF got treated, for much the same reason as X-Men.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

That's been the rumor for awhile now, but I don't think the Inhumans super-push has played out like they hoped.  It doesn't seem like the books or the characters have broken out at the way the X-Men did.

I'll still bitter over the way FF got treated, for much the same reason as X-Men.

They should've stayed in space ruling the Kree and being one of the backbones of cosmic Marvel along with Nova and the Guardians(well... pre-Bendis, at least), IMO. Bringing them back to Earth and fast-tracking making them so important in two of the last three big Marvel events when it's blatantly obvious that their push is editorially-mandated was a huge mistake. The post-SW Terrigen mists extinction status quo making them look like villains is another and I'm honestly kinda shocked Marvel didn't see this coming.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 3:00 PM, OSJ said:

I have only read the first story in the new Moon Knight but it is damn good. The first 8 or so issues of Old Man Logan have been good. So far nothing from DC's Rebirth has caught my attention.

I've really enjoyed Moon Knight, but it's a little bit circular (Which is, in part, the point but I'm not sure it always hits over the last few issues, especially once they introduced the space stuff). Old Man Logan started really well, with a lot of momentum and purpose, but it's meandered heavily since then. When it was about him doing anything he could to prevent his future, no matter who he pissed off, I thought it had a great concept. When it went away from that, it became just another book.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I've really enjoyed Moon Knight, but it's a little bit circular (Which is, in part, the point but I'm not sure it always hits over the last few issues, especially once they introduced the space stuff). Old Man Logan started really well, with a lot of momentum and purpose, but it's meandered heavily since then. When it was about him doing anything he could to prevent his future, no matter who he pissed off, I thought it had a great concept. When it went away from that, it became just another book.

Yeah OML started to get away from the original concept around the last issue I have read,I think it was issue 8. Just like how Squadron Supreme kind of shit the bed after 4 issues.