DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Longshot felt dangerous and weird when I first read it.  It gave me the same weird feeling in the pit of my stomach as Tom Scioli's Transformers/GI Joe stuff. Looking back now, I'm not positive why specifically, but Nocenti/Adams's version of Mojo is still utterly terrifying in a way Claremont et al. have never managed to make him.

• Like 2

I agree 100% on that!

Adams Mojo is just truly insane and when Noncenti wrote him his monstrosities made him a truly grand villain. Claremont just seemed to use him as a punching bag for comic relief

James

• 2 weeks later...

Totally missed this coming out last week.

It would look good on @J.T.'s new coffee table.

750_DHKFOMNIV1HC_CARDY_solicit.jpg

Kung-fu fever had struck the United States! Hot on the heels of the breakout hit MASTER OF KUNG FU, Marvel launched the amazing oversized DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU magazine - headlined by Shang-Chi, Iron Fist and the Sons of the Tiger! Artists including Rudy Nebres, George Pérez, Jim Starlin and Paul Gulacy gave DEADLY HANDS their all. With stunning painted covers by the likes of Neal Adams, issues of DEADLY HANDS featured not just the comic-art adventures of Marvel's greatest kung-fu heroes - but also extensive interviews; martial-arts guides; photo features; and movie, TV and book reviews! Whatever you wanted to know about martial arts, DEADLY HANDS had a kung-fu grip on it! Collecting DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU (1974) #1-18 and SPECIAL, and DEADLIEST HEROES OF KUNG FU.

• Like 1

oh man.

i just read the Mutant Massacre crossover with Uncanny X-Men and X-Factor, among others. holy shit, what a downer. like, it's seriously giving me depression just thinking about how this all went down. i guess the biggest concern for me was that the X-Men don't win. by the end of the storyline, the X-teams are beaten down and defeated. most have some sort of serious injury, they're emotionally devastated, and they still have no real idea who or why did this abomination. what a major bummer.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Blue/Gold reveals are not good. I like the Gold team fine but Guggenheim's batted about a 15% in his comic writing career. Which still beats Bunn who is writing Blue and is sub 10%. He can sort of write big dumb x-men comics though. 

The reveals were disappointing. I really want the teen versions of the originals gone already. Its not even that I dislike the writing with them per say. I would just rather focus be on the teen character from the present era.

16 minutes ago, twiztor said:

oh man.

i just read the Mutant Massacre crossover with Uncanny X-Men and X-Factor, among others. holy shit, what a downer. like, it's seriously giving me depression just thinking about how this all went down. i guess the biggest concern for me was that the X-Men don't win. by the end of the storyline, the X-teams are beaten down and defeated. most have some sort of serious injury, they're emotionally devastated, and they still have no real idea who or why did this abomination. what a major bummer.

Well its titled Mutant Massacre for a reason.

For me the Mutant Massacre was the beginning of the end for the X-titles. I did stick around reading Uncanny until issue 300. But really lots of the time after the Mutant Massacre I would let the books built up until the stack was about to fall over. Then read them all over a weekend.

34 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Wow. see, for me Mutant Massacre is the start of the run of X-Factor that is my favorite X-book ever and top 5 team book ever (with Morrison JLA, Ostrander Suicide Squad, Thunderbolts v1 and New X-Men)

See I started reading Uncanny with 129,what ever issue was the first appearance of Kitty Pryde,and got it every month from then till 300. X-factor I read the first 2 years of. THe only spinoff X-titles I read for more than say 24 issues was Excalibur and New Mutants.

This reminds me that I still need to go back and read more of Claremont's run along with X-Factor in general. I was reading a decent bit of it a few years ago when I was a member of unlimited for a few months. The last thing I recall offhand was a fun Dazzler vs. Juggernaut issue.

17 hours ago, Matt D said:

Blue/Gold reveals are not good. I like the Gold team fine but Guggenheim's batted about a 15% in his comic writing career. Which still beats Bunn who is writing Blue and is sub 10%. He can sort of write big dumb x-men comics though. 

I generally consider Bunn super solid. Sixth Gun was great (what I've read anyway), his Wolverine run followed well on Aaron's, and I liked the first trade of his Uncanny. Heard good stuff about Sinestro too. Differing tastes or just read different stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the last week or two catching up on comics.

I'm not really sure why I still read the X-books at this point. I don't necessarily even find the writing itself to be particularly bad on the average. I just find the direction immensely disappointing. That said, Death of X was pretty bad. It ignored where the relationships between characters were actually left at before Secret War. The X-men were kind of made to look fairly inept. And killing off a major character in such a manner while having another go potentially irredeemably insane was just dumb. That was the most terrible and disappointing thing I've read in Marvel all year. To be fair my reading is limited so I'm sure there is worse.

Ultimates continues to be good though I'm not sure why a relaunch was necessary. Also not sure I like America as the team leader though I do enjoy the idea of them working for Galactus.

Thor and Black Panther continue to be the highlights of Marvel for me.

I think the only x-book worth reading right now is the x-23 wolverine book. It's also pretty removed from the main x-books.

gave up on black panther. Well done but not of interest to me.

thor books are good. Moon Knight is great and crazy.

i liked Ultimates and New Avengers. Will be curious to see how their reboots go.

i should love Waid's Avengers book, but i dont think the art is right for a flagship superhero book. It worked perfectly for Weirdworld. 

I like a fair number of Marvel books right now (the Aaron books, Ewing's team books, Moon Knight, Squadron and Supreme and Scarlet Witch for the most part).  But, man, I could not be less interested in anything Inhumans or X-Men, and most of what is spinning out of Civil Wars II is meh to me.

I am somewhat intrigued by what Bendis is doing in Iron Man.   The book has been pretty damn good since Bendis took over, and I'm willing to give the new titles a chance.  Doctor Doom: Good Guy had better be a short-term thing though.

And as much as I hate to be that guy, I'm really hooked by what Spencer is doing in Captain America.  Cap's probably the Marvel book I most look forward to each month.

I liked the new Nova book well enough. I was kind of indifferent though on Sam so I never really finished his first series. I see until now he was more or less still the only Nova. Did they never explain what happened to the handful or so of members Rich had gathered to start building the Nova Corp anew? Or Worldmind?

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I liked the new Nova book well enough. I was kind of indifferent though on Sam so I never really finished his first series. I see until now he was more or less still the only Nova. Did they never explain what happened to the handful or so of members Rich had gathered to start building the Nova Corp anew? Or Worldmind?

Iirc Worldmind was with Rich in the Cancerverse so the rest of the Nova Corps were cut off and sort of de facto depowered.

I get that, but I thought I saw something about the Sam entering the Worldmind in the last series before this one. I thought maybe it managed to return w/o Rich. Not mention it was just sort of weird to not here anything about Robbie or the other novas returning to their planets.