DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 4/17/2018 at 8:29 AM, The Natural said:

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider 

You still reading/jumped on,   @twiztor?

started this series from the beginning. As it was coming out, i think i only read the first 3-4 issues.

Liking it much better this time around. Probably mostly because i know what to expect going in, as far as tone and subject matter. I think for my initial read i had unrealistic expectations. I have read up until #14 now. The bit with death around #10 threw me for a loop, but it definitely adds a nice touch in a way to push Ben to what everybody seems to want. 

The storyline with the Slingers was quite good, with an interesting twist thrown in. I've never followed Spider-Man at all, so while i've heard/read about the costumes and identities, the actual characters hold no relevance for me. That being said, they did a good job of explaining JUST enough to follow but not so much that it was overwhelming. 

I look forward to following this title (which means that it will likely be cancelled in the not-so-distant future). 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 4:04 PM, odessasteps said:

Hell with that. Corny, you get a stable of the Unicorn, Porcupine,  Batroc, and the Gladiator. Show us what you can do with that! What the hell, you can have Whirlwind too if it makes a difference.

I dunno, Unicorn and company feels more lke an even worse version of Paul Jones Army though I'd love to see Jimmy Valiant v. Batroc in facial hair v. Facial hair match!

In other news... Thor 706 was the perfect end to everything tht made the Jane Foster era of Thor so much fun

James

6 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I dunno, Unicorn and company feels more lke an even worse version of Paul Jones Army though I'd love to see Jimmy Valiant v. Batroc in facial hair v. Facial hair match!

In other news... Thor 706 was the perfect end to everything tht made the Jane Foster era of Thor so much fun

James

I thought it was too Moffat-y an ending. 

Spoiler

Were going to kill this character but then bring them back right at the end. 

I know genre deaths are now meaningless and ephemeral but I'd like an arc called The Death of Thor to actually kill Thor. 

Just read the third volume of Duggan's GoTG run. I'm really digging it. The series feels like a decent mesh of what DnA were doing and the movie version Bendis forced into the comics. I like how Duggan is rebuilding the corps, using the Raptors, and building the Infinity Gems story in the background. Its great seeing Rich back with Duggan finally bringing back Rich's brother and explaining what the hell happened to him. I'm honestly surprised at how well he is doing that plot line since I figured there might still be some harsh feelings with how Rider fans treated him during his Sam Alexander Nova run. I might actually have to check out the current/next big Infinity Gems event since it should be following up on a lot of this.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Just read the third volume of Duggan's GoTG run. I'm really digging it. The series feels like a decent mesh of what DnA were doing and the movie version Bendis forced into the comics. I like how Duggan is rebuilding the corps, using the Raptors, and building the Infinity Gems story in the background. Its great seeing Rich back with Duggan finally bringing back Rich's brother and explaining what the hell happened to him. I'm honestly surprised at how well he is doing that plot line since I figured there might still be some harsh feelings with how Rider fans treated him during his Sam Alexander Nova run. I might actually have to check out the current/next big Infinity Gems event since it should be following up on a lot of this.

I really enjoyed it too. It got the movie feel down far better than Bendis I thought.

• Like 1

I am curious though what happened to the Raptors that they are in a similar rebuilding situation like the Nova Corps? Last I recall there was they still had a few older raptors and were trying to reawaken the others at the end of the DnA run. I'm also curious just who started the whole rebuilding of the Corps. I'm looking forward to when Darkhawk gets involved in this.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:32 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Nah. Lost track of it. It's a steady seller here but basically has its audience, no more no less so it's less important for me to keep on top of for work and I hit the point of preferring to tradewait. As much as I'm glad Ben is back, his character has been so turned from what made me dig him in the day that it's not as great a time as I'd hope.

Understandable. Not the way I'd have wanted Ben Reilly back. PAD's trying to rebuilt what was done.

On 4/26/2018 at 5:42 PM, twiztor said:

started this series from the beginning. As it was coming out, i think i only read the first 3-4 issues.

Liking it much better this time around. Probably mostly because i know what to expect going in, as far as tone and subject matter. I think for my initial read i had unrealistic expectations. I have read up until #14 now. The bit with death around #10 threw me for a loop, but it definitely adds a nice touch in a way to push Ben to what everybody seems to want. 

The storyline with the Slingers was quite good, with an interesting twist thrown in. I've never followed Spider-Man at all, so while i've heard/read about the costumes and identities, the actual characters hold no relevance for me. That being said, they did a good job of explaining JUST enough to follow but not so much that it was overwhelming. 

I look forward to following this title (which means that it will likely be cancelled in the not-so-distant future). 

Glad you like it. I had a backlog of the first 10 issues to read as I wanted to read other books first. I agree it helps knowing what was to come. Book is hanging on in there.

I recently reread Infinity Watch #1, which was one of my first and favorite comics ever. Near the end, Warlock says he always gives the power up due to his omniscience. So made me wonder, did Thanos know he was going to fail in Infinity Gauntlet?

On 5/9/2018 at 4:45 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

I know Nick Spencer's stock dropped precipitiously after Secret Empire, and justifiably so. But the FCBD Spidey book has me legitimately looking forward to it, that was a hell of a lot of fun.

Picked that up, haven't read it yet. Most popular FCBD issue at my LCS. I loved Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Steve Rogers: Captain America was WTF and Secret Empire had it's moments, more misses than owt.

On 4/16/2018 at 1:19 AM, twiztor said:

still on my massive X-Men read. just finished Legion Quest, and wow. i was describing the storyline to my wife and she said "that's some heavy stuff, let alone for a comic book". for sure. powerful stuff.

this of course leads in to one of my top two storylines of all time, the Age of Apocalypse. I'm pretty pumped, but i think I'll check something else out for a short while and let this simmer.

finished my AoA re-re-re-read. By the Gods, i love this crossover so much. this was the first time i'd read it with the full backstory of the X-Men (when i read it the few times before, i was familiar with the X-Men mainly through the 90s cartoon, pop culture stuff, and being on comic book message boards forever), and it really is even more amazing. I want to read about this universe forever. dark and bleak, but you still get the true essence of all of these characters regardless.

i know the universe has been revisited a few times (most notably the ten year anniversary mini series) but have any of these been good and stay true to the core? 

19 minutes ago, Ace said:

There was an excellent arc in Uncanny X-Force during the Dark Angel saga.

is that from the Secret Wars crossover? heard good things but it seemed like a different AoA so i am hesitant

Hasbro inexplicably decided to include Paladin in the Deadpool assortment of Legends figures. He isn't a hundred percent what I'd want (his armor isn't puffy like an umpire chest guard and his helmet isn't quite right) but seeing my favorite Marvel P-lister pop up at Target made me stupid happy.

I reviewed what I’d read from the Deadpool (2012-2015) run by Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn. I’ve now read the nine issues I missed out on. Here are the reviews:

Deadpool (Vol. 2): Soul Hunter by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn collects Deadpool #7-12. #7 is an “inventory story” set around Demon in a Bottle as Tony Stark’s alcoholism meets Deadpool. A good issue for this, the opening in the Daily Bugle and why Deadpool is gone till ’91. #8-12, Deadpool gets souls reluctantly for Vetis. An average story apart from two things: we see Deadpool’s mind as a museum, what’s there and isn’t and a brief team-up with the Superior Spider-Man.

Deadpool #26, #28 and #35 by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn. #25 is a flashback issue, Deadpool has to save Nick Fury Mk I from Hitler who can time travel. I appreciated THAT Hitler scene in Downfall (2004) replicated. Cable appears and a line with Captain America on ice. #28 features Deadpool and Queen Shiklah’s honeymoon, I didn’t think much to this apart from the Bride in Kill Bill (2003-2004) showing up. #35 is a good issue as DP tries to answer Ellie’s questions while the faux X-Men from the terrific Good, Bad and Ugly story move into the Jean Grey school.

Deadpool Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn run I’ve read: Deadpool #1-25, Deadpool: Dracula’s Gauntlet #1-7, Deadpool #26-44 and #250. Total: 52 issues.

Been catching up with X-men Red, Gold, Blue, & Thor. Haven't read this month's issues, but am otherwise good.

The Poison X crossover was odd but decent. Blue continues to be a book I kind of enjoy, but loath at the same time because I really do just want the original five gone already. At the same time I think the current book is probably the best they have been since the first year Bendis brought them in. The post-crossover stuff has been good with stuff finally heating up between Magneto's group and this weird team of Ema, Havok, Miss Sinister, and Bastion. Have to say that it does feel weird with something big happening and none of the other X-books involved.

Gold continues to be a solid book though at the same time feels like its missing something to make it truly worthwhile. I liked the idea of the prison story though it was rushed, and I hated seeing Iceman as team leader. I like Bobby it just feels off with his character. The Negative Zone God coming back for vengeance was a neat idea but also a bit rushed. It was neat seeing Storm with her hammer back. I do like the stuff with the new Pyro.

Red is solid though it does feel weird having Jean back in a book with so few people really connected to her.

The end of Jane's time of Thor was great. I loved that last issue with Jane about to enter Valhalla and Odin finally taking down his walls a bit. Can't wait to see what Aaron does next in his saga.