DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Infamous Iron Man: Infamous collects Infamous Iron Man #1-6 by Brian Michael Bendis. A new Iron Man has arrived, he’s Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom. We see this Iron Man with Maria Hill, Dr. Amora Perera and the Thing after him. Doom visits his Latveria too. I quite liked this, the explanation for Doom jumping sides wasn’t as forced as I expected. Secret Wars (2015) is rightly referred to as it’s one of the best events. It’s so different Victor Von Doom acting good though that doesn’t undo the things he’s done.

Daredevil: Born Again collects Daredevil #226-233 by Frank Miller. The title story in #227-233 sees Matt Murdock’s fall by the Kingpin taking things from him only for Matt to be reborn. A Christmas 2015 present I asked for as I’ve read nearly all the big Batman books, an interest in Daredevil thanks to the awesome Daredevil Season One out in April 2015 and its written by Frank Miller who wrote the best and fifth best Batman books ever. I finally got round to reading it a few months ago. A great book as Matt fights back with the narrations of his, Wilson Fisk, Ben Ulrich and Karen Page’s on events. I really did enjoy Daredevil: Born Again.

Also included is Daredevil #226’s good standalone story by the creative team as Daredevil contends with Melvin Potter and different covers, layouts and script from Born Again.

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear collects Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1-5. The title story looks at Matt Murdock’s life before losing his sight in the accident and after. There’s Matt’s father, training to use his senses and Matt’s relationship with Foggy Nelson. We see Matt meeting Elektra for the first time, the Kingpin starting his criminal empire and Matt clad in black out to rescue a kidnapped girl. From Christmas 2015 as I’ve read the big Batman books with the odd exceptions, having seen the brilliant Daredevil show from April 2015 and Frank Miller’s written this, to me he wrote the best and fifth best Batman books of all time.

I liked this. Comic book origins in comics/films/TV are a favourite of mine and this is what we get here. You can see the adaptations in the TV series. I will say the Elektra strand wasn’t at the level of the Kingpin’s.

A big selection of bonus material: A revised draft of the title story and an added one to include Elektra. There are pinups, cover pencils of the Next Issue as shown on the inside-back cover, unused art and a super prologue. Frank Miller is interviewed promoting the book for Marvel Age.

Tagging @Brian Fowler knowing how he rates Frank Miller's Daredevil and the talk about Miller's works in the DC Comics omnibus thread. 

Born Again is good, but if you can get your hands on them, I highly recommend reading the DD by Frank Miller trades collecting his original run on the book. It starts with him just on pencils before Marvel eventually gave him a shot to write it. He pretty much completely redefined the character from the ground up. Almost everything people know about Daredevil other than his blindness comes from Frank. The duality of his Catholic faith/dressing as the devil (and how it parallels his being a lawyer and an extra legal vigilante), Kingpin and Bullseye as his biggest enemies, The Hand, Stick, etc.

And the two big DD/Bullseye fights might be the two best fights in Marvel comics history.

• Like 1

As long as I'm here at the Marvel thread... I think the BKV/Alphona Runaways has a pretty good case for being the best medium length thing Marvel has ever done. To this day I'm grateful I decided to pick up #1 on a whim at an LCS that doesn't even exist anymore way back in 2004.

I just re-re-re-read the original 18 issue run, but now I'm reading vol 2 for the first time in probably 7 or 8 years. God it's so good.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2) #13 by Jody Houser and Nick Roche’s art. 8 Years Later Part 1. Annie May Parker is now a teenager and goes with her parents to the fair. The Lizard shows up. I wasn’t fond of the announcement Gerry Conway/Ryan Stegman were leaving and the book was jumping eight years on. I’d never head of the new team. A poor start with the righting, Pete’ going on about hi age and the art is ugly. My concerns were justified based on this. Still, I’ll see this arc through and decide if I keep or drop the book.

Spider-Man 2099 (Vol. 4): Gods and Women by Peter David collects Spider-Man 2099 (2015) #6-10. Miguel O’Hara has problems with an employee turning into an Inhuman bringing Lash to her and someone’s alive thought dead. I enjoyed this book. It was funny in parts with Spider-Man 2099’s dry humour. The new costume’s grown on me but the original didn’t need replacing.

Been catching up with the last 3-4 months of X-men Blue and Gold the last few weeks. Both still feel like decent sized step ups from what came before. Niether is great, but the are pretty solid and make for decent fun at times. I thought the Mojo Worldwide crossover was pretty fun.

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

Is All New Wolverine my favorite current Marvel comic or is it one of the Zdarsky books? The tough questions.

Did you read Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6? That's the best Spider-Man issue I've read this year.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know if anyone else is reading the new Runaways book ( @El Dragon damn well better be) but I'm really digging it.

I actually just ordered the digital copies for it last night in fact. Liking it as well, certainly the best Runaway comic we've had since Joss took it to hell.

Yeah, Volume 3 was really rough until the final stretch that never got finished. Made me sad because I gave Strangers in Paradise a look through before he took over it and enjoyed the majority of it, and it had me hopeful. I do agree it was going interesting places again once Immomen took over, but the comic was perceived as basically dead by then.

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure at one point Rainbow used to post in the Runaways livejournal group I once frequented, or at least that's a popular thought was that she posted there. Which be kinda funny if I actually had conversations about the comic with the person who is now writing the comic.

13 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

... I feel like a bad Runaways fan for not having actually read that issue of Daken, but on the other hand I've never liked Daken.

I don't really recommend it from a Runaways perspective. The big bad Daken had been fighting is somehow a former member or associate or whatever of The Pride, and so the Daken recruits them and... Not much happens, really.

The Avengers Academy guest spot was much better.

I never did read Avengers Arena or any of the other stuff after that with them.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

I don't really recommend it from a Runaways perspective. The big bad Daken had been fighting is somehow a former member or associate or whatever of The Pride, and so the Daken recruits them and... Not much happens, really.

The Avengers Academy guest spot was much better.

I never did read Avengers Arena or any of the other stuff after that with them.

I was basically pissed off just by the existence of Avengers Arena, so can safely say I didn't follow that. If I'm being blunt, all I know from the aftermath of that is Nico's time with the A-Force & Victor's story with Vision and co. Which might just be just about everything there's been overall though, so...

I'll also give them credit for acknowledging Klara, even if I felt like she was a worthless character that added nothing of note to the plot. I just hope they don't bring her back as a regular, and let Runners just interact with each other, as I always felt like after Victor and Xavin came in, they really didn't need to add anyone else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not finding Klara would seem odd.

But, really, if this goes more than one arc the second one needs to be Runaways in Space trying to find Xavin

From what I know about Rainbow, I'd be freaking stunned if Xavin doesn't make an appearance sooner or later. The only real question is if she is going to actually pull the trigger on the Nico/Karolina thing to bring maximum drama when Xavin DOES show up.