DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Finished up the The Battle for Muir Island and everything building towards it last weekend. The War Skrulls stuff was nice, felt like it could have been even bigger story. The Apocalypse stuff in X-Factor with Nathan being sent away was neat though I wish Louise Simonson was the one who scripted since she was always pretty great at writing Apocalypse. The fights with Shadow King were neat. I particularly liked seeing Mystique finally play her hand and that the teams for the final battles mostly consisted of the originals and second team save for Forge. The epilogue issue with Xavier searching for David's mind and the teams reflecting on what was next was a nice ending. Still not entirely sure what I will read next X-men wise.

Just finished the last volume of Carnage. Dug the hell out of it. It was nice seeing Eddie humanized so much after Remender's Venom left him so insane. Was also nice gettign a look into Kassidy's mind and past. This has me wanting to see more of the magical/dark side of Marvel. Will have too see whats worth checking out there eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

Spoilers out for Secret Wars 10 that Marvel dropped. So be careful. In the meantime (spoilers for it below): 

On 4/25/2017 at 8:48 AM, Matt D said:

I'm seeing this as an AzBats/Spider-Ock thing, myself. They've pretty much gone out of their way now to express that this is a different Steve who had different experiences growing up and an entirely different origin story. It'd be like redoing Peter Parker's origin where he was secretly adopted by Norman Osborn after his parents were killed or something. It's much more of a Red Son thing than something that he has to come back from. At some point, reality will go back to where this lady never recruited Steve's mother into Hydra when he was a kid and that's that. I'd actually be really surprised if we don't see Hydra Cap fighting our Cap in a story within 5 years or so. They'd be sort of crazy NOT to do that at this point.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:47 AM, Matt D said:

Hell, if they want to lean hard into Legacy by having ALL of the classic characters on the table, then that might even be how Secret Empire ends.

(Quoting myself because I'm so thoroughly right)

Thoroughly right. 

I was walking thru a department store today and noticed that the marvel themed bathing suits that had for sale were Spidey Thor and Cap.

which made me wonder:, has Secret Empire had any influence on sales of Cap merch? Presumably, 99% of the general public has no idea how Cap's brand has been damaged to a large number of comics readers. Now that Secret Empire is over and we soon get (presumably) a more positive Cap by Waid/Samnee, will there be any lasting effects or, like most everything in comics In 2017, it's no more a blip than Cap Wolf? 

I mean, given that I think the last Cap film made more money than the last decade of Cap comics I don't know how much it matters. The comics are kind of a sideshow at this point.

EDIT:

Estimating about $15/ticket, about 77 million people saw the last Cap movie. Halve that for double views and you still have 100x the DM numbers for the most circulated issue of Secret Empire (assuming unsold copies negates markets unaccounted for). An average issue of Cap is somewhere between 0.1% and 0.05% of the film audience. Brand-wise the comics mean nothing.

Spoiler

We have two Caps now. One is the Hydra-Cap with his mind altered by Kobik, the other is a memory clone of sorts wished into Earth Prime.

I guess this allows Memory-Cap not to have the baggage applied to him.

• Like 1

I’m concerned about the recent announcement regarding The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2). A new creative team, Jody Houser/Nick Roche will be starting with #13. Have you read anything by them?

I’m also not keen on the time jump 8 years on, it’s a shame we didn’t get more of Annie as a child and at school. I really like the Renew Your Vows verse by Dan Slott, Gerry Conway/Ryan Stegman. This is the best Spider-Man book with Peter in a while. I’ll give the new team a shot and see what I make of it.

20 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I’m concerned about the recent announcement regarding The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Vol. 2). A new creative team, Jody Houser/Nick Roche will be starting with #13. Have you read anything by them?

I’m also not keen on the time jump 8 years on, it’s a shame we didn’t get more of Annie as a child and at school. I really like the Renew Your Vows verse by Dan Slott, Gerry Conway/Ryan Stegman. This is the best Spider-Man book with Peter in a while. I’ll give the new team a shot and see what I make of it.

She's done some Max Ride stuff and the Rogue One adaptation for Marvel so that's not much to go on. She'll also be adapting the Thrawn book. She wrote the "May" book for the Agents of Shield anthology but I can't remember that for the life of me and it'd be the only thing I've read (though I have some vague sense it was pretty ok, actually, with fairly vibrant supporting characters but we're talking very vague). I got nothing. Most important thing about that book is that you were a fan of either the source material or of Spider-Girl (basically a fan of Tom DeFalco of all people?), I think, and I don't know if she was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

She's done some Max Ride stuff and the Rogue One adaptation for Marvel so that's not much to go on. She'll also be adapting the Thrawn book. She wrote the "May" book for the Agents of Shield anthology but I can't remember that for the life of me and it'd be the only thing I've read (though I have some vague sense it was pretty ok, actually, with fairly vibrant supporting characters but we're talking very vague). I got nothing. Most important thing about that book is that you were a fan of either the source material or of Spider-Girl (basically a fan of Tom DeFalco of all people?), I think, and I don't know if she was.

Cheers, @Matt D

36 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

So did the story end the way everyone assumed it would - with real Cap punching out Hydra Cap?

Spoiler

Basically.  The "real" Cap - ie, the patriotic Cap everyone is used to - is brought out of Kobik's memories.  He immediately fights Hydra Cap.  Battle ends when Hydra Cap tries to pick up Thor's hammer, but can't.  Heroic Cap can.  He picks up Mjolnir, pastes Hydra Cap with it, then returns the hammer to Jane Foster/Thor.

Story ends with Kobik unmaking most of the changes made, though Las Vegas is still destroyed and it seems like several major characters are still dead.  Hydra Cap was apparently arrested, not killed or unmade, so he'll return at some point.  Kobik was kind of a jerk when it came to deciding what changes to unmake and what to keep.

I enjoyed the issue, though the ending is the safest, least dramatically interesting way to go.  it does protect the Captain America brand, though, and sets up a new direction for Steve Rogers going forward.  I rolled my eyes when Sam Wilson told Bucky to stay out of the final fight because Real Steve "needed" to finish the final battle alone.  You see that sort of scene way to often and it's always ridiculous when the stakes are the fate of the world.  Though, since Kobik was right there, Hydra Cap was finished even if he punches out Real Steve. 

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Houser is REALLY good from what I've read. Mother Panic is terrific, albeit entirely the wrong tone for Renew. That said, her work on Faith makes me think she could do a good job with it.

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Is Roche writing or just drawing? I mostly know him from some truly excellent Transformers stuff but he's also drawn a fair amount of Doctor Who. Only Marvel work I remember is the Death Head story from Revolutionary War