DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 5/29/2017 at 3:37 PM, odessasteps said:

Went to one of the local shops today looking for that ff annual. Didn't find it but did find the 3 issues of Section Zero.

Fear the kickstarter for the revival is not going to succeed. Around 70% with 3 days to go. 

love that series and backed the KS a couple weeks ago.

i agree that it's not looking promising, but i can dream....

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 0:47 PM, The Natural said:

Searched my local library website and the Vision (Vol. 1) by Tom King has been added. I've reserved it, be intresting to read with the acclaim given to the series.

Read Vision in one session today. Amazing!

• Like 1

I haven't seen Secret Empire 3 today but I've seen the big revel and...

They're on the nose by having Punisher sign up to Hydra. Punisher fans are definitely the ones most likely to support a fascist organization.

Just now, Matt D said:

I haven't seen Secret Empire 3 today but I've seen the big revel and...

Hide contents

They're on the nose by having Punisher sign up to Hydra. Punisher fans are definitely the ones most likely to support a fascist organization.

Spoiler

It was also established in Civil War that Frank will always defer to Cap.

Remember Tsunami? Had that pretty decent Sentinel series, I think The Crew was inexplicably part of it despite not fitting at all... I don't even remember what the others were.

Runaways was the one home run though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Remember Tsunami? Had that pretty decent Sentinel series, I think The Crew was inexplicably part of it despite not fitting at all... I don't even remember what the others were.

Runaways was the one home run though.

The human torch book was pretty decent.

Btw, last issue of Lemire Moon Knight was great. 

In a total Monkey's Paw situation, Runaways is coming back with Kris Anka and Matt Wilson on art and Gert being resurrected...but Rainbow Rowell is writing. Rainbow Rowell who is infamous for racist and stereotype ridden portrayals of Asian-American characters in her big novel will be writing Nico.

This is a real mix of feelings.

Also to answer an earlier question, Cable #1 is...okay? It's basically just two action setpieces that make up the first 5 minutes of a film. I liked what was there but I don't know who the villain is, what they want, or why I should care. It doesn't really do anything with Cable either, just having him be a surly macho badass with enough human empathy to be the good guy. It's clearly trying to be a time travel Western and the tone and delivery is mostly fine, but the decompression means that the stakes and principal players aren't super clear yet, so the first issue just felt a little like a waste. Great art though.

3 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

In a total Monkey's Paw situation, Runaways is coming back with Kris Anka and Matt Wilson on art and Gert being resurrected...but Rainbow Rowell is writing. Rainbow Rowell who is infamous for racist and stereotype ridden portrayals of Asian-American characters in her big novel will be writing Nico.

This is a real mix of feelings.

When was Gert resurrected? Has there been a Runaway run truly worthwhile after Vaughn? I only went as far as Vaughn's since I never heard good things about the other runs. Nothing about the this new attempt makes it seem like it will be any different. I saw the art for a few of the characters and it was not the best. Anka makes them look too old outside of Molly. I also sort of thought Marvel had the right idea before separating them to an extent. They should always be family, but at some point the do have to actually live their lives with some direction

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Also to answer an earlier question, Cable #1 is...okay? It's basically just two action setpieces that make up the first 5 minutes of a film. I liked what was there but I don't know who the villain is, what they want, or why I should care. It doesn't really do anything with Cable either, just having him be a surly macho badass with enough human empathy to be the good guy. It's clearly trying to be a time travel Western and the tone and delivery is mostly fine, but the decompression means that the stakes and principal players aren't super clear yet, so the first issue just felt a little like a waste. Great art though.

So basically I should continue to wait and see.

10 minutes ago, Justin877 said:

Mystique and Runaways were the clear leaders in that Tsunami line.  I need to read the Sentinel book, it seemed to have a Gigantor meets Marvel Universe kind of vibe.

Is that Mystique book the one where she was forced to be an agent of Xavier? If so I loved that series.

Gert will be resurrected in the new series. And I had the same thought of them looking too old, but I think part of the idea is that they're all a few years older. Also the series starts with them scattered and is about them coming back together at the start. I like the pitch, just wish someone else was writing.

I really liked Kathryn Immonen's run and didn't hate Terry Moore. Haven't read Whedon's, somehow.

Been catching up on my older brother's Star Wars comics the last few weeks. I've been on and off with the minis, but terribly behind on the ongoings. Never made past issue 3 on Poe Damaron, Star Wars, or Darth Vader. I kind of feel stupid for that.

I've caught up on Poe. It generally solid though a bit too decompressed. The highlight is honestly the villain in Agent Terex. He is generally smart, and I dig the crime lord backstory.

Only up to 19 or 20 for Star Wars and Vader, but both are pretty great. Aaron & Gillen capture the characters well and make their stories feel like an adventure. I'm also digging the Obi-Wan shots and new characters. Those murder droids are particularly fun. I loved Vader Down arc. Vader was probably over-powered, but force of nature Vader vs. the Rebel army is such an awesome slaughter I can't help but dig it. It also nice how they manage to explain why some support the Empire in the various stories. Right now I'm in the middle of the Scar Troopers intro and the start of Vader's final arc. Looking forward to seeing how the latter concludes.

About 3/4 of the way through Byrne's FF run from the 80's (via Marvel Visionaries).  I hadn't read the run in... 20 years or more?  The writing style is horribly dated.  So much clunky dialogue and cliches.  I'm kinda surprised Doc Doom doesn't grow a mustache just so he can twirl it while he does evil things,  And Byrne's art doesn't hold up real well for me.  So many blank backgrounds.

All that said, it's a really fun read.  Byrne had a good handle on the characters and knew how to give the audience what it wanted,  It helps that he falls back on the same group of cool villains: Dr. Doom, Annihilus, Galactus, etc. FF cosmic sagas get a lot of mileage out of me.

Thinking of rereading the DeMatteis Captain America run next.  Loved his Cap book back in the day.  It helps that he had Mike Zeck doing the art for most of the run.  DeMatteis is probably my favorite 80's comic writer.  Really surprised the DeMatteis Cap run hasn't been properly collected, except for Red Skull storyline at the end of the run (sadly, Zeck left the book right before that started).

In general, there's a sore lack of Marvel Visionaries: J.M. DeMatteis tpb's.  Legit shocked a lot of his Spider-Man run has never been collected (DeMatteis even recently said the couple years he worked with Sal Buscema were one of the high points of his career).  Pleasantly surprised Defenders has gotten collected.  Wish they'd collect some of his other 80's/90's runs.