DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

not trying to hijack this but I reached out for help in the DC thread and am pleased by the responses so I wanted to do so here.

Can someone recommend me some good Marvel comics to read from the past few years?  Mainly how has Daredevil, Punisher, Capt America been?  I've been buying omnibus books and reading a lot of older 60's-90's comics but would like to dive into recent books.

Thank you all in advance for your help and hope everyone is safe and well. 

As they come to mind:

Nick Spencer/Steve Lieber The Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Nick Spencer's The Amazing Spider-Man.

Christopher Yost Avenging Spider-Man #15.1-22

Christopher Yost Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #1-2, #6-8.

Christopher Yost Scarlet Spider

Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn Deadpool.

Jason Aaron's Thor.

Chip Zdarsky Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man.

Jason Latour on Spider-Gwen.

Dan Slott's work on The Amazing Spider-Man is very hit and miss.

Yost's, Duggan/Posehn and Slott are older than you asked for.

Hope these recommendations help.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Waid and Samnee DD is very good. To a slightly lesser extent, their Cap book and Widow mini were also good. 

Landrige/Samnee Mighty Thor is great. 

I am a huge Daredevil fan.

I' bought the Miller Omnibus and Companion, Both volumes of the Waid, and both of the Brubaker.   I also bought the Waid Capt America Omnibus which I loved.  

4 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I am a huge Daredevil fan.

I' bought the Miller Omnibus and Companion, Both volumes of the Waid, and both of the Brubaker.   I also bought the Waid Capt America Omnibus which I loved. 

Time for my annual plug then for the Kesel/Nord all to brief DD run. ?

7 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

not trying to hijack this but I reached out for help in the DC thread and am pleased by the responses so I wanted to do so here.

Can someone recommend me some good Marvel comics to read from the past few years?  Mainly how has Daredevil, Punisher, Capt America been?  I've been buying omnibus books and reading a lot of older 60's-90's comics but would like to dive into recent books.

Thank you all in advance for your help and hope everyone is safe and well. 

Coates's Black Panther

Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars.

Annihilation/Annihilation Conquest/Guardians of the Galaxy/Nova/War of Kings/Realm of Kings/Thanos imperative - These are all from around the same time frame in 2006-11. Its the cosmic reboot/retooling that partially inspired the GotG films. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

honestly, i don't read a lot of current Marvel books. that being said, these storylines caught my interest (can't speak to their execution, as i haven't read them, but i thought they were interesting enough premises that eventually i may check them out.):

Punisher: Franken-Castle (2009). written by Matt Fraction (vol. 7 #1-21)

Captain America: Hydra Cap (2017) (part of the Secret Empire storyline, released as Captain America: Steve Rogers, #1-19 along with whatever else crossed over with that maxi series)

not a franchise that you mentioned, but the current X-Men storyline has been shockingly good. House of X #1-6, Powers of X #1-6, current X-Men series (vol. 5) #1-current (9?). i have NO idea where this storyline is going, but it's big. and crazy. one of the very few comics i'm following monthly.

1 hour ago, username said:

A lot of Brubaker's Captain America run was really strong as well.

OMG this all fucking day long.  This one i CAN vouch for and it was amazing. Released as Vol 5 #1-50 + 600-619. Brubaker's voice for Cap is pretty much the exact voice i have in my head, so this was pitch perfect. 

On 5/30/2020 at 4:36 AM, username said:

Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run was fantastic.

None of you mentioned Tom King's Vision series, for shame.

A lot of Brubaker's Captain America run was really strong as well.

I should have mentioned Tom King's Vision. I think I didn't because of his Batman run, most of which I really didn't like.

I'll third Ed Brubaker's Captain America run with @twiztor.

Edited by The Natural

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #41 written by Nick Spencer, Ryan Ottley’s the artist for True Companions, Part One. Spider-Man and Boomerang team-up together. The banter between the two as their alter egos and away from there has made for one of my favourite parts of the Nick Spencer run. This answered something way back in Free Comic Book Day 2018: The Amazing Spider-Man, what Wilson Fisk/the Kingpin/Mayor of New York City wants from Boomerang? Cue a scavenger hunt. I liked this issue and there’s a nod to Boomerang’s issue with Bullseye which brings back fond memories of Nick Spencer/Steve Lieber’s terrific The Superior Foes of Spider-Man. I also liked the cliffhanger involving a character in one of the very first Spider-Man stories I ever read way back as a child. The backup sets up something I have no interest in as it stands.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #42 written by Nick Spencer, Ryan Ottley’s the artist for True Companions, Part Two. Gog shows up. All but a small part of the issue tells Gog’s back story in Gog’s eyes. Makes for a good but sad read for what he’s gone through like the Gibbon Hunted #18.HU issue by Nick Spencer. As Spider-Man himself says about Gog “He’s never struck me as all that bad, though. Just…loyal like he was doing what he was told. Really liked Nick bringing back “This guy, right?” spoken by Boomerang. That was a trademark from the excellent The Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Spencer/Steve Lieber/Rachelle Rosenberg.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #43 written by Nick Spencer, Ryan Ottley’s the artist for True Companions, Part Three. The Kingpin is after the Lifeline Tablet as Spider-Man/Boomerang has to deal with its protector, Gog. A feel good happy ending to this arc. I am glad it’s done with because #44 is a biggie as Spidey finally goes up against Kindred. The release schedules of Marvel and DC were thrown out by the Coronavirus pandemic affecting everybody in varying ways.

Edited by The Natural

Some old Spider-Man reviews:

The Amazing Spider-Man #526: The Other, Part 6. A hopefully brief preamble. The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home is one of the best Spider-Man stories ever with Spider-Man’s epic fight against Morlun. Years later I found out via the ‘net there was a rematch here. I didn’t expect to read their second fight but fortunately a new comic book shop opened where I live so I can. I wasn’t disappointed by it, a brutal fight shorter than the original through the entire issue with an infamous ending. This is one of the best drawn fight sequences in a comic book I’ve read by Mike Deodato Jr. Morlun was in Spider-Verse, Spider-Geddon and Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man (Vol. 3).

The Sensational Spider-Man #26 is narrated by a pupil of Peter Parker who finds out he’s Spider-Man after he revealed his secret identity nationally in Civil War. This was a fun story seeing how that pupil and Doctor Octopus react to the news particularly the callback to how Doc Ock could have ended Spidey years ago. Doc Ock beat and unmasked Peter Parker easily, so easy he couldn’t believe he was really Spider-Man!

Spider-Man vs. The Vulture does as the title says timed the same year as Spider-Man: Homecoming, 2017. The book collects 14 issues with them at it. I just read the ones I fancied: The Amazing Spider-Man #2, #63-64 as they’re written by Stan Lee and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #14-16 from Peter David.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #14-16, Peter Parker revealed he is Spider-Man in Civil War. We see how people react to it: Peter who also assumes different identities as he’s known now, Deborah Whitman/Betty Brant who is particularly well written, Flash Thompson and the Vulture whose captors want him to bring in the wall-crawler. By jumping from to against the Superhero Registration Act, Spider-Man is a fugitive. A decent arc. I tired of the strong vs. weak, weakness, pity theme repetitiveness and find Peter David to be an overhyped Spider-Man writer.

Spider-Man/Human Torch #1-5 (2005) miniseries written by Dan Slott/Ty Templeton’s art takes a look at the Spider-Man/Human Torch through the years, once rivals then becoming the closest of friends. I really enjoyed this frequently funny book. My favorite issues were #1 as Johnny Storm hires Peter Parker to take his photos, #2 as Spidey/Torch trade places for a day and #5 when Peter is teaching at school with a guest appearance of the Human Torch. Spider-Man’s reaction to Paste Pot-Pete is so funny likewise what happens to Storm’s hair and Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson-Parker/Human Torch trying to communicate non-verbally. Touching ending too.

On 5/12/2020 at 1:51 AM, Matt D said:

Re: AoA

1. Watchmen barely holds up as something special or revolutionary now because of how many things copied it, took it further in plot ways, etc. It's hard to see what it was pushing against. And that's Watchmen. So you can imagine how something like Age of Apocalypse was going to age.

2. It's hard to explain to someone who wasn't there. Because if you're a year or two older than me or a year or two younger, you wouldn't hit it quite the same. I was of perfect age for things when X-Men 1/Uncanny 281/X-Force 1 hit. Nine or ten. You were able to get on the ground floor of this this exciting, dynamic thing that also had so much history. You could have something all your own, but be part of a broader group. By 95-96 when AoA hit, there were a few years of this behind it. This was hitting RIGHT when the internet was starting to become a thing, so I was on Prodigy in X-Men clubs too. I was able to read the news online and print it out and bring it in to my retailer to tell him. I'd ride my bike to New England Comics and come back with my backpack and the comics. You found out about the solicits from the free New England Comics black and white Newsletter. And I was shook to the core by the idea of AoA. All these facts and bits of canon that I had learned, that made me part of some exclusive club (literally. I was part of a group on Prodigy at 13 where you had to pass a quiz to get in called X-Clusive. This is not a lie), and they were undoing all of it. It was a shock. They announced it in the promo page they had every much by having a blurb of AoA Sunfire (who is unrecognizable) with a little "Who is this mystery character?!" And he had the magneto neck bumps so we all thought maybe it was some version of Magneto. This era is a weird multi-sense thing too. It's when they just moved to the glossy paper so you can almost feel it in your memory.  And the idea of the FOUR characters coming over into the main reality afterwards. Anyway, it's not great. It doesn't stand up. I have no desire to reread it. But it was an important part of my youth. 

I started reading X-Men in 1988, which was much later than the Byrne/Claremont heyday. There were already plenty of people who had sworn off X-Men by the time I started reading it. When I started out, they were dead and living in Australia, but I was obsessed with it. I was upset when Claremont was fired, but I stick with it through the relaunches. I was young at the time and the art was enough to keep me hooked. By the time AoA rolled around, I was already influenced by the older dudes working in the comic shop, and I had started branching out and reading more mature titles. AoA was the nail in the coffin. I don't remember how long I lasted, but I definitely remember it was during that event that I gave up on the X-Men forever. In retrospect, I should have quit when Claremont left. I remember when I first got on the net, I found an interview with him where he laid out what his plots were for the next two or three years in the early 90s and I was gutted. I wonder how long he would have lasted in the 90s. The hot shot artists ended up quitting and forming Image. I wonder how long Claremont would have survived. 

I kinda forgot that "Marvel Comic Omnibus Thread" was the name of our general Marvel thread and thought someone had started a thread dedicated to just Marvel omnibuses and got really excited.

...I don't have a problem, you have a problem!

• Like 1