DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 1/18/2020 at 1:54 PM, JLSigman said:

The library had the first two collections of Seanan McGuire's run on Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider, and holy carp it is amazingly good. I will definitely keep looking for more.

Let us know if you want Spider-Gwen story recommendations as I've read a lot of them.

• Like 1

Spider-Man's secret identity is important and if you want to read the essential stories revolving around that:

How Green Was My Goblin/The End of the Green Goblin. The Amazing Spider-Man #39-40.

Confessions. Ultimate Spider-Man #13. Best thing Brian Michael Bendis' ever done.

The Conversation. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #38. 

My Dinner With Jonah. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6. 

Four of the best Spider-Man stories ever.

Edited by The Natural

I was in the lcs yesterday and the conversation turned to (how much I dislike) Slott's Iron Man run.  So, uh, I wasn't aware Slott also retconned the FF's origin story to be the work of a dastardly alien despot.

Ugh.  Dan Slott may be my least favorite writer in comics right now (caveat: I havn't actually read his FF run).

• Like 1

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #37 written by Nick Spencer, Ryan Ottley the artist in Time, For a Change. Spider-Man’s on patrol and uses the Clairvoyant device to be ahead of crime. This was a great issue for that, recreating the Civil War II #1 cover, a very funny page of superheroes reacting to Spidey telling them about the Clairvoyant tool and a shock cliffhanger through Kindred. This one issue was better than the entire 2099 event which hampered the title.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #38 written by Nick Spencer, Iban Coello is the artist. Breaking News, Part One. J Jonah Jameson wants to help his old adversary Spider-Man. This was really good for Jonah on a scooter after Spidey and how he’s trying to help Peter since Peter revealed he’s Spider-Man. Here his help makes things worse.

Edited by The Natural

I’ve been reviewing Nick Spencer’s run on The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) and I thought I’d look back to older Spider-Man stories and post my opinion on them:

Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut (1982), The Amazing Spider-Man #229-230. The story by Roger Stern, drawn by John Romita Jr. pits Spider-Man to the titular test as psychic Madame Web asks for Spidey’s help to stop her kidnapping. A good story but overrated. I disagree with the “best  of” placements I’ve seen for it.

The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man (1984), The Amazing Spider-Man #248 is written by Roger Stern and drawn by Ron Frenz. Spider-Man meets a young fan of his, Tim Harrison in a short story and so big in feelings. A top five Spider-Man story and one of the most moving comic book stories you’ll ever read. It’s so well done. 

Edited by The Natural

X-Force #6: just brutal. 

I had forgotten between issues that the neo-Reavers were vat-grown automata with a minimum of actual sapience, so Jean killing them as casually as Logan really turned my stomach, as did Hank giving the "no survivors order.  And then, we get the same thing later without the "meat robots" defense and with Percy acknowledging the full weight of the horror and it's ten times worse.

Edited by Cliff Hanger
autocowreck turned "vat" into "var"

The whole theme of this week's X-books seems to be: (Spoilers for X-Men and New Mutants)

Spoiler

Things falling apart. We had the whole X-Force situation, the three being lost for hundreds of years in X-Men, and Beak's parents being murdered (and his memory of it changed). 

The Commuter Cometh, The Amazing Spider-Man #267 (1985) written by Peter A David and drawn by Bob McLeod. Spider-Man is after a robber and it leads him to the suburbs. One of the funniest Spider-Man stories available as Spidey has to deal with a number of problems in suburbia including no buildings to swing from and upsetting the locals there. Everything is going wrong, the Parker luck.

Spider-Man: The Death of Jean DeWolff (1985-1986) collects Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110 and The Spectacular Spider-Man #134-136 written by Peter A David. In the title story (#107-110) drawn by Rich Buckler Spider-Man is out to catch the Sin-Eater for killing Jean DeWolff. Daredevil gets involved when a friend of his is killed by the same person. This is a murder mystery story, finding out the identity of the killer, the judicial system and vigilantism. In the second story with Sal Buscema’s pencils in Return of the Sin-Eater (#134-136) which came out two years after the original, Spider-Man and the Sin-Eater deal with the consequences of their actions. Electro is involved. These were two really good Spider-Man stories but I’m not as high on them compared to how others tend to regard them.

Out of the Spider-Man writers celebrated as the best, I find myself most underwhelmed by PAD. I’m red Spider-Man: The Death of Jean DeWolff ages ago and I’m not sure I want to go back to see if my opinion’s changed or remained the same.

Edited by The Natural

The Wedding. The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #2 (1987) written by David Micheline/Jim Shooter, Paul Ryan on pencils. Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson get married and we see the supporting cast celebrate. That’s what’s going for this book, it’s good. Wasn’t fond on Spider-Man actively looking, wanting trouble so he can paid for pictures though.

The Gift. The Amazing Spider-Man #400 (April 1995) written by J.M. DeMatteis, penciled by Mark Bagley. The focus here is on Aunt May Parker’s health by Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson-Parker. Spider-Man and Ben Reilly, the Scarlet Spider talk about clones as this was during the ‘90s Clone Saga. A very moving read, Aunt May is well written here by DeMatteis. May is shown to be bright knowing things unsaid and one long is the making is said aloud. Aunt May has known Peter Parker is Spider-Man. It’s one of the best moments in Spider-Man history as is this story. I do think though Aunt May’s death here should have stuck like the Green Goblin’s and Kraven the Hunter. If it had though, we’d have missed on Joseph Michael Straczynski’s Aunt May, his Aunt May is the benchmark.

A second short story and a really good one called The Morning After by DeMatteis/Stan Lee sees Peter Parker and Aunt May reacting to the murder of Ben Parker. Peter Parker’s internal monologue starts by looking back to all this, regretting he chose not to stop Uncle Ben’s killer and years later Peter’s aware that she’d known he was Spider-Man.

I've posted the following review before. I do so again as it's an absolute must read not to be missed. Me and @Matt D love it...

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 is written drawn by Chip Zdarsky. Story called Finale is fitting because it’s Zdarsky’s last on the book. People are asked for their opinions on Spider-Man. This was an excellent issue for the varying stances about Spider-Man ranging from the funny to moving. The end to the move anecdote is effectively done over five wordless pages. One of the best Spider-Man stories I’ve read as Chip Zdarsky goes out on a high note. There’s also a piece by Zdarsky reflecting on his time on the book.

• Like 1

Finally read Powers/House of X. I'm only truly familiar with the past 8-9 years of stories and Claremont years, but I really liked what I read. Its all so very intriguing and I'm curious to see where it leads. With all the timeline stuff with Moira I'm rather curious if the Hickman led X-verse is even in the same timeline as the current Marvel universe. It feels a little too off, but then I never did finish up the stuff right before it from Rosenberg.

Edited by Eivion

If that's legit, then credit to them, because I haven't been pissed off at something to happen in a comic from an emotional attachment standpoint (as opposed to bad writing/booking) in about 20 years.

Edited by Matt D

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #39 written by Nick Spencer, Iban Coello is the artist. Breaking News, Part Two. Spider-Man is a guest on J Jonah Jameson's podcast having upset him when JJJ tried to help Spidey.

This was a great issue as both go over their long history in a debate. I liked the idea that JJJ distrusted Spider-Man as he wasn't in a team compared to the rest at the time. There's a very funny single page spread of the times the wall-crawler taunted Jolly J Jonah Jameson as Spider-Man says "I have no idea what you're talking about". This felt like a sequel to a top twenty best Spider-Man story, My Dinner with Jonah in Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6 by Chip Zdarsky. 

TASM (Vol. 5) #39 has a surprise in a backup story on Overdrive, its a good one too. Seems the character brought back from the dead in TASM (Vol. 5) #37 will play a bigger part in the next arc.

I've posted some reviews of Joseph Michael Strazczynski's controversial run on The Amazing Spider-Man but not all of them. 

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #36. I read the Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #30-35, #37-50 by J Michael Straczynski when it was reprinted in a monthly UK book, the Astonishing Spider-Man. Issue #36 wasn’t. I’ve read more of JMS’ Spider-Man run since then including #36. The book reflects on 9/11, the terrible tragedy and how the superhero community react particularly Spider-Man. It’s an emotional read which gave me chills and again as I’m reviewing. Marvel pays tribute to those affected by 9/11 three months on where the fictional heroes are with the real ones on that day. Credit to J Michael Straczynski and John Romita Jr’s art.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Revelations & Until The Stars Turn Cold collects The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #37-45, original numbering #478-486. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #37 sees Peter Parker trying to help a student of his as Aunt May is trying to come to terms with the dramatic ending of The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #35. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #38 has Peter Parker and Aunt May talking about the big moment The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #35 finished on. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #39 is the ‘Nuff Said issue with no spoken dialogue looking at a day in the life of Mary Jane, Aunt May and Peter Parker/Spider-Man in this order. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #40-42 resumes the story of Peter trying to help a student of his and introduces the villain to the piece, the Shade. In The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #43-45 Peter is trying to win back his estranged wife, Mary Jane while having to contend with Doctor Octopus and a man who stole his technology named Mr. Carlyle.

I first read these issues when it was reprinted in a monthly UK magazine called The Astonishing Spider-Man in 2004-2005. I really liked it. A week ago I bought this book part of the Official Marvel Graphic Novels Collection to reread them as a fan of Joseph Michael Straczynski’s run on The Amazing Spider-Man and see what I thought years later. I’m happy to report that I still really rate them. The highlight was The Amazing Spider-Man #38, that’s one of the best ever Spider-Man stories. This did so much for Aunt May, nobody wrote the character as well as JMS did.

Unnatural Enemies/The Life and Death of Spiders/A Spider’s Tale. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #46-48, original numbering #487-488. Words by JMS as drawn by JRJR. In the Shade storyline, Spider-Man veered off route from a Doctor Strange spell and was noticed. Shathra finds Spider-Man to feed on. This felt like a redo of Coming Home but much weaker: science vs. totemic myth/origin, a character wanting to feast on Spidey and is he willing to kill them?

Bad Connections/Doomed Affairs. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #49-50, original numbering #489-490. Words by JMS as drawn by JRJR. Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson Parker are married but separated/estranged. Both try to meet each other and mange to at the airport when there’s an assassination attempt on Doctor Doom’s life. Captain America’s also there. This was a great story: We get the inner thoughts of both Peter/MJ, the talk between the two leading to reconciliation, Doom in debt to Spider-Man and Spidey letting rip at him. The coincidences don’t detract too much.

Carrying on with Joseph Michael Strazczynski's run on The Amazing Spider-Man...

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #51-54 by JMS. This is a mob/gangster story as Digger results from it. I liked most of the story for Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson-Parker getting back together after the Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #50, what Digger is made up of and the touching ending for how Peter Parker uses his money. Said money and how it’s acquired is the thing I didn’t like from the story. Spider-Man is paid by the head honcho, Forelli of a crime family to protect him. Doesn’t wash with me even with Peter’s reasoning.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #55-56. Peter Parker helps another of the pupils at the school he teaches at. Peter’s alter ego captured the brother of said pupil committing car theft months ago and she’s looking for him putting herself in danger. A decent story.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #57-58 and The Amazing Spider-Man #500-502. The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #57-58 and The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #500 story sees Spider-Man on his birthday getting sent between time and space, to make his way back to the present day, he has to relive his past and see a future. Spider-Man has the ability to change his fate but will he? In The Amazing Spider-Man #501 the story is told from the perspective of Spider-Man/Aunt May as the former is in action while the latter is talking to someone, the latter is poignant. The Amazing Spider-Man #502 is about a tailor for superheroes and supervillians who needs Spider-Man’s help, it’s a funny premise. These were all great

The Amazing Spider-Man: The Book of Ezekiel collects The Amazing Spider-Man #503-508 by J. Michael Straczynski. #503-504 a sorceress wants to thank Spider-Man for inadvertently freeing her, we get Spidey with Loki is a fine story. #505’s is filler as Spider-Man stops a situation escalating. The title tale in #506-508 you find more how Ezekiel Sims gets his powers, his intentions with Peter’s alter ego facing off supernatural foes, the arc has its moments. JMS has written better Spider-Man stories. #508 was the last issue of the JMS run by John Romita Jr. Fair play to JMS trying to come up with new villains but only Morlun had staying power. Would have been nice to see how he wrote the classic baddies, he used Doctor Octopus and the Kingpin well.