DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The end of Tony Stark: Iron Man is such a phenomenal fucking downer. It's the most Slott ending possible, and while I generally like his work that isn't a compliment here. It's one long string of rugs pulled out from under possible happy endings.

Tony believes he isn't really Tony, he's a Red Dwarf-style simulation.  The "I think I'm thinking therefore I might possibly be" angle.  Hanktron was never a melding of Hank and Ultron that could be fixed. Hank has been dead since Rage of Ultron, and Ultron's obsessions and neuroses created the warring personae.  The merged people were unsalvageable, Vision and Simon could be split because of their shared brainwaves and Vision's intangibility. No word on why Jarvis could be saved but Civilian 317 couldn't.

Probably not getting 2020.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

The end of Tony Stark: Iron Man is such a phenomenal fucking downer. It's the most Slott ending possible, and while I generally like his work that isn't a compliment here. It's one long string of rugs pulled out from under possible happy endings.

Hide contents

Tony believes he isn't really Tony, he's a Red Dwarf-style simulation.  The "I think I'm thinking therefore I might possibly be" angle.  Hanktron was never a melding of Hank and Ultron that could be fixed. Hank has been dead since Rage of Ultron, and Ultron's obsessions and neuroses created the warring personae.  The merged people were unsalvageable, Vision and Simon could be split because of their shared brainwaves and Vision's intangibility. No word on why Jarvis could be saved but Civilian 317 couldn't.

Probably not getting 2020.

Wow, I haven't read any Iron an in years, but have kept up with some of the bigger news. That sounds incredibly depressing.

Spoiler

The Ultron/Hank though could be a blessing in disguise since it allows for Hank to just be straight up revived eventually and keeps his character from being further soured upon by Hanktron

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If only Hank was a mutant, Krakoa could bring him back. And it could be the one before his breakdown. 

I will defend the fall and (first) rise of Hank Pym to the death, but of course that's largely because I first started reading the char under Busiek, then went back and really fell in love with him because of Englehart WCA.  I totally get why so many fans hate it, but the Englehart, McDuffie (Beyond!) and Gage stories where I love him most exist because of his status as "the guy who betrayed everyone and burned his world down due to poorly-managed mental health, and will never quite live it down no matter how much good he does"

Incoming is quite good for a trailer book written by 15 people and designed to sell you on small events and minis coming in regular series.  I can't help but remember the early aughts when this kind of book would be $1 on the idea that a loss-leader hype book could boost sales on monthlies and event minis, but then I think about how underpaid comics creators generally are and $8.50 for 80ish pages seems more reasonable than $3.50 for 20 pages.

ok, so i read House of X and Powers of X.

holy shit. i am 1000% in on Hickman's X-Men. 12 issues with little-to-no conflict is insane in the current comic book system, but this set up is so well done i am blown away and hooked.

also, if this leads to the return of Changeling (as Morph from the 90s animated series of course! Exiles version is also acceptable.) it will be the greatest book ever.

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

ok, so i read House of X and Powers of X.

holy shit. i am 1000% in on Hickman's X-Men. 12 issues with little-to-no conflict is insane in the current comic book system, but this set up is so well done i am blown away and hooked.

also, if this leads to the return of Changeling (as Morph from the 90s animated series of course! Exiles version is also acceptable.) it will be the greatest book ever.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, as I liked HOX/POX, but I dont think any of the follow up books are remotely as entertaining. 

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, as I liked HOX/POX, but I dont think any of the follow up books are remotely as entertaining. 

fair enough. i'm only going to follow Hickman's X-Men title anyway.

X-Men is the first DOX book that really feels of a piece with HOXPOX.  It recycles a couple beats in big Magneto speeches, but it's the first time any of the books have really felt like they're engaging with the global-scale "ok now what."  Also, much of that menu sounds delightful, but watermelon gazpacho infused with habaneros? Nope.