DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Read the following books from Ed Brubaker's Captain America run a while ago, haven't posted my reviews till now:

Captain America: The Trial of Captain America. Collecting Captain America #611-615 and #615.1. In issues #611-615, Captain America’s past as the Soviet’s assassin, The Winter Solider is out in the media and he faces trial in court over that. In #615.1, the story is about Steve Rogers having to deal with a new Captain America who’s not his protégé, Bucky Barnes. This was a really good book.

Captain America & Bucky: The Life Story of Bucky Barnes. Collecting Captain America and Bucky #620-624. As the title says Bucky Barnes tells his story from his early years, becoming Captain America’s sidekick, fighting against the Nazis, the Winter Soldier years and where he’s at today. A very fine read documenting Bucky Barnes’ varied history.

Winter Solider (Vol. 2): Broken Arrow collects Winter Soldier #6-9. The Winter Soldier and Black Widow are searching for an agent, Leo Novokov, awoken abruptly from stasis. The agent was trained by Bucky Barnes when he was brainwashed by the Soviet Union. This was also when Black Widow was on their side. I really enjoyed this spy thriller and the personal element between the three.

Winter Solider (Vol. 3): Black Widow Hunt collects Winter Soldier #10-14. Thought saved, Black Widow is programmed mentally to be how she was, working for Russia. It’s up to Winter Soldier and allies to rescue her. The book looks at what lengths will you go to do just that. There’s an emotive callback to arguably the most famous dialogue from Ed Brubaker’s Captain America run. This was a really good book ending said Brubaker run. Of what I’ve read of it, I’ve liked it all which goes for Brubaker’s Batman books (Gotham Central and The Man Who Laughs) as well.

Ed Brubaker’s Captain America run I’ve read:

Captain America (Vol. 5) #8-9 and #11-14.

Captain America #22-24 and Winter Solider: Winter Kills

Captain America (Vol. 5) #25

Captain America #600-601

Captain America: Who Will Wear The Shield?

Captain America #611-615 and #615.1

Captain America and Bucky #620-624

Winter Soldier #6-14.

Total: 34 issues.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #34 written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Patrick Gleason. Timelines are collapsing, a message delivered from Spider-Man 2099 to Spider-Man. This has been Nick Spencer’s worst arc on the book more so as I looked forward to it with Spider-Man 2099 and Doctor Doom’s involvement. I wish Patrick Gleason had a better first Spider-Man story arc to draw. There are two more issues to go.

Read the following some time ago. First time I've posted them:

Superior Iron Man #1 The Superior concept started with the Superior Spider-Man, I’m a big fan of the period so bought this to see Iron Man get the Superior treatment. I can understand why Marvel has because of the popularity of that era and Iron Man from the MCU. The recap page says Iron Man’s personality like an army of heroes he fought with changed in battle. Most returned, Stark avoided changing back. Iron Man creates a new version of Extremis, Extremis 3.0 for the public making you improved…at a hefty price. Tony is superficial, a drinker and wants to make a lot of money. I liked this issue. 

Superior Iron Man #9. I bought the first issue of this at another comic book shop which has since closed and found this in the reduced section at the comic book shop I mainly use. Tony Stark goes up against his old suits as they and Pepper Potts try to reverse Tony to pre Superior Iron Man status. This was the final issue of the book and I liked it. The hero is the villain in Tony Stark while Otto Octavius’ Superior Spider-Man the villain is the hero.

While Tony wins, he does so at a cost as he only cares about himself and alienating those who once respected him. Pepper Potts loses as she wasn’t able to save the man because he didn’t want to be saved so sets out to show the world what he is with the media empire she bought.

There’s a character in this issue I’ve not come across and no mention off in the recap page so that was lost on me. 

On 11/26/2019 at 11:31 AM, Matt D said:

I remain all in on Kate Pryde and hope this takes long enough to become part of the public consciousness.

I like that during X-force Black Tom still called her Kitty. I imagine he didn't get the memo.

I haven't gotten through #2's in the line but I like the books so far. There's some weird pacing in some of the books, but it feels like they were rushing to just set up the idea, so I'm optimistic about the second issues. Some of the art is pretty rough too, which was a bummer.

Thought X-Men #2 was weird considering it takes place after X-Force, and it's just Cyclops cracking jokes with his kids. Young Cable is hard for me to get into. Like I actually don't know why he exists anymore. And he's been in like half the books so far. 

As for Non X-Men stuff I read the first few issues of Strike Force and even though they brought in Daimon Hellstrom for a bit(I love me old school Son of Satan) I really didn't like the tone. I'm just not into books where everyone has a punchline to deliver.  I like characters to feel different instead of just extensions of the author's sense of humor. I don't want my comics to be serious business all the time but when everyone is comic relief there is nothing to actually relieve. 

I also read the first two issues of GHOST RIDER. I'm a big Midnight Sons era guy so this had me excited. Danny Ketch being a miserable alcoholic makes sense and Johnny Blaze as King of Hell is cool. But even with those darker elements it still feels a little....clean? Like there was a scene in Issue #2 that took place in the day and it just felt to bright and cheery for the subject matter. Like Spider-Man or something.

DETH'S HEAD is fun and feels like a early 90's throwback and I like that.

2099 is strongly connected to 616 even if it has a different earth number. The 2099 period also changes as in not staying fluid.  Slott and Peter David explained this.

While the Xmen's 10th timeline also has its own built in future.

So one Earth with two branching timelines that connect to 616. 

Catching up on Dawn of X and really the 2 books I'm enjoying the most are Marauders and New Mutants. They're the fun books of the line (though Captain Kate playing into the pirate thing, complete with alcoholism might be heavy handed). New Mutants especially is just Berto being Berto and saying "Fuck it, I'm recuing my my best friend from the Shi'ay. What can go wrong?"

James

On 12/4/2019 at 12:22 PM, J.H. said:

Catching up on Dawn of X and really the 2 books I'm enjoying the most are Marauders and New Mutants. They're the fun books of the line (though Captain Kate playing into the pirate thing, complete with alcoholism might be heavy handed). New Mutants especially is just Berto being Berto and saying "Fuck it, I'm recuing my my best friend from the Shi'ay. What can go wrong?"

James

New Mutants was the best selling comic last month.

Hellions is like a Paranoia party, they're going to need the Five to set up six-packs of clones before they go on a mission.  "Alex, we need you to pick a team." "Okay, let's start with the woman in the egg armor who killed Jean's sister and the eight-foot-tall kindergartener she trained to murder human parents of mutant children..."