DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The Amazing Spider-Man: Full Circle is made up of teams each doing a random section only knowing who had gone before them. The final chapter brings all the writers together to come up with an ending. For me, the experiment didn’t work out despite the talent including Jonathan Hickman, Nick Spencer, Chip Zdarsky, Jason Aaron and Gerry Duggan. The best part of this was the writers group chat at the end.

Edited by The Natural

Marauders #1: I am not sure I buy this take on Kitty, and the plot is kind of a mess, but the concept is interesting and I am enjoying Ororo, Pyro and Bobby and interested to see the rest of the crew assembled. 

Tony Stark #17: 

it's clear now that this story ends with the end of Hanktron and I am absolutely okay with that.  I wonder whether Slott will try to give Hank Green Lantern Rebirth-level absolution for the literal billions of people the merged form enslaved or killed across the galaxy, or leaves him a villain, but now that un-merging is on the table I absolutely do not see the two remaining together.

Edited by Cliff Hanger

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Marauders #1: I am not sure I buy this take on Kitty, and the plot is kind of a mess, but the concept is interesting and I am enjoying Ororo, Pyro and Bobby and interested to see the rest of the crew assembled. 

Tony Stark #17: 

Reveal hidden contents

it's clear now that this story ends with the end of Hanktron and I am absolutely okay with that.  I wonder whether Slott will try to give Hank Green Lantern Rebirth-level absolution for the literal billions of people the merged form enslaved or killed across the galaxy, or leaves him a villain, but now that un-merging is on the table I absolutely do not see the two remaining together.

Badass Pirate Kate was something to see. I got the sense they laid out a number of flashpoints to both justify the need of the ship/crew and to set up five or six story arcs.

It's weird to think about how many members of the Quiet Council are subordinate members of teams.  Apocalypse, Kurt, Ororo, Cypher for sure, possibly Jean and Erik depending on how the "X-Men" book proceeds.  I'm also v interested in how shit shakes out when Captain Bishop finds himself on a ship with Kate and Ororo.

I like Hickman and his work.  I may have bottomed out a little with his Avengers opus.  I am genuinely intrigued by HOX and POX.  I will probably get the HC when it comes out.  Until then I am listening to the Journey Into Misery episode that explains it all.

Edited by Justin877

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #31 written by Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley’s artwork. I liked this part of the Absolute Carnage tie-in more than the last exploring the relationship between Peter Parker and the Osborns through Ottley’s renditions of TASM #121-122, The Night Gwen Stacy Died. There’s a connection to Kindred and Norman Osborn as well. These tie-ins hint that Kindred is actually Harry Osborn. I’ve seen all kinds of suggestions to Kindred’s identity: the original Gwen Stacy, Harry, Peter for what happened in One More Day, the Burglar, George Stacy and my pick in Ezekiel Sims. Is it Harry or a red herring? 

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #32 written by Nick Spencer and Patrick Gleason’s the artist making his full issue debut on the title. This is the starting point for the 2099 event. The Spider-Man of the year 2099 arrives in our present again. I looked forward to the issue when it was announced in the solicits. I’m more disappointed for that reason, it’s poorly paced cramming too much in. The two things I did enjoy were Gleason’s art and Peter making some friends at Empire State. This is probably Spencer’s weakest issue.

The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #12, LGY #45 written by Christos Gage and drawn by Mike Hawthorne. Otto Octavius made a deal with Mephisto to revert him to his Doctor Octopus guise as he didn’t think he could stop Spider-Norman as the Superior Spider-Man. This was #11’s cliffhanger and I wanted to see whether it would stick or be a fakeout?

Doctor Octopus is back. I have mixed feelings. It’s something seeing the original Doc Ock with bowl haircut, thick glasses and green and yellow overalls for the first time in a long, long time. It was inevitable Otto Octavius would return to being a villain again, the status quo. I think you could’ve returned Doctor Octopus and kept the SSM to appease both camps.

There’s a misstep by Christos Gage through Anna Maria Marconi “It’s the other guy who dates the Black Cat and supermodels. Otto’s different.” The way Otto broke Spider-Norman was fitting, a mind trapped in a failing body which Otto knows all too well. I liked how Otto witnessed his funeral for Elliot Tolliver. The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #1 began with Peter Parker under the possession of Otto Octavius going to Otto’s burial plot. The series ends on an homage to the famous Spider-Man: No More interior page, apt that.

Otto Octavius remembers a little of his tenure as the Superior Spider-Man. I’ll always remember his time holding the mantle (2012-2015 and 2018-2019) as I’m a fan of the Superior Spider-Man era. SpOck is a dick, he’s violent sometimes kills but he’s done some good and seeing is interactions with other characters. I’ve always had an interest in how someone gets on replacing their alive or dead predecessor. We seen the villain truing to progress as a hero, develop. Dan Slott came up with the Superior Spider-Man but nobody wrote the character better than Christopher Yost. Check out his SSM stories in Avenging Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man Team-Up. Sad to see the character and series go.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

@Eivion, did you read Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 written by Chip Zdarsky? Finale is an instant classic I recommended to you all. I read it back the other week and love it still.

Only Spider-man I've read in the last year would be the first four volumes of Spencer's current run and Spider-man 2099 vs. Venom.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, Eivion said:

Only Spider-man I've read in the last year would be the first four volumes of Spencer's current run and Spider-man 2099 vs. Venom.

I'm enjoying Nick Spencer's run on TASM especially the opening story arc, Back to Basics #1-5 and with Black Cat/Mary Jane Watson called Heist in #8-10.

Read the following books from Ed Brubaker's Captain America run a while ago, haven't posted my thoughts till now:

Marvel Platinum: The Definitive Captain America. This book collects Captain America Comics #1, Avengers (Vol. 1) #4, Tales of Suspense #80-#81, Captain America (Vol. 1) #143, 253-255, Marvel Fanfare #18, Captain America (Vol. 5) #25 and Captain America (Vol. 1) #601. The book also contains a detailed history of the character at the back of the book. I rented this book because it had three issues I wanted to read: Captain America’s debut, Captain America’s first appearance in The Avengers and the death of Captain America. I had a particular interest in the death of Captain America having read Captain America: Civil War as it has the three issues before Captain America’s death. All three are well done. I got to read it before it went AWOL.

Captain America #600 is a milestone issue made up with a two page retelling of Captain America’s origin by Paul Dini/Alex Ross, stories from Ed Brubaker/Roger Stern/Mark Waid about Captain America’ death, Joe Simon’s bulletin board and a story by Stan Lee from Captain America Comics #16 (1942) as Red Skull finds out Cap’s secret identity. All range from good to great. Ed Brubaker’s good story is the one year anniversary of Captain America’s death with reactions to it by various people such as the media, Sharon Carter, the Red Skull and H.A.M.M.E.R. Two were lost on me as I don’t know them. The issue ends with a cover gallery in a nice touch.

Captain America #601 by Ed Brubaker features art by Gene Colan. During the Civil War event, Bucky Barnes aka the Winter Soldier recalls teaming with Captain America in Belgium 1945 to investigate what’s happening to some soldiers. A very good story for this, the fitting artwork and what fear does to you, its potency.

Captain America: Who Will Wear the Shield? Steve Rogers is back and in his absence, Bucky Barnes became the new Captain America. Who should wield the shield now? The original Captain America or his successor who once committed acts against his will as the brainwashed Winter Soldier? As Natalia Romanov says, why not two? A good issue.

Edited by The Natural

One interesting bit in X-Force: page 15 panel 3, the person on the stretcher is wearing something that looks a lot like a Milligan/Allred X-Force uniform. Gin Genie would be the closest color wise (short blond hair, same basic color of costume as she wears in the backstage scene in 116), but it doesn't have the pipes and it's a masculine figure.  Bleeding Cool indicated that X-Cellent and Dox would pretty much ignore one another.  Too bad, as it would be interesting to see characters who are defined by their short life expectancy thrown into the Krakoan status quo.  I'm wondering if that's supposed to be anyone in particular, or if the art was generic and the oversized X logo and the lines on the upper body are giving me apophenia.

57 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I didn’t see that in Paul’s annotations. 

http://www.housetoastonish.com/?p=4854

but there are tons of cameos in the issue. And Hickman has said people can be seen wearing various versions of their costume. 

I mentioned it in his comments.  It's sketchy enough that it's impossible to tell whether I'm just seeing things, but it sure LOOKS like that iteration of the uniform to me as someone who recently re-read 116-129 (might sign up for Imgr to post it after work)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11/12/gwen-stacy-gets-her-own-series-at-marvel-in-february-by-christos-gage-and-todd-nauck/

Two things that come to my mind about this announcement:

This will go with Mary Jane and Black Cat books released in 2019. 

I'm wondering if this coincides with the speculation that the original Gwen Stacy is Kindred.

Edited by The Natural

Just a heads up, X-Books are back to firmly enforcing reading order as both of this week's reference both of last week's.  I hate Tiny Cable.  Fallen Angels not-quite spoiler (spoilered anyway):

Kwannon says she was named for the 'Japanese goddess of mercy', meaning the Buddhist bodhisattva Kanon/Guanyin ('goddess' isn't entirely accurate but tends to be how Westerners think of her).  That's a WEIRD romanization that doesn't line up with any actual language's pronunciation, but it's CLOSE to several, and it at least makes some sense of what always just seemed like a nonsense name.

And on a more spoilery note:

I see that WILLIAM SHATNER'S TEKWORLD is now true Marvel canon.

Edited by Cliff Hanger

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #33 written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Patrick Gleason puts aside the 2099 story strand for geopolitics with the return of Silver Sable and her Symkaria tensions with Latveria ruled by dictator, Doctor Doom. I liked this issue for that, less so for a device created by a classmate of Peter’s able to see futures, any .

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man: Secrets and Rumours collects Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (2019) #1-6 written by Tom Taylor, Juann Cabal (#1-4, #6) and Yildiray Cinar (#5) and Marcelo Ferreira (#1 backup) are the artists. In #1-4 Spider-Man as we meet new characters in his neighbourhood and learns something new about NYC. I really liked this story for how Tom Taylor gets the voice of Peter Parker, a new ally he makes in the NYPD and the artwork by Juann Cabal, a double page spread of Spidey swinging while buildings are used to show historic moments in the characters 57 years. In #5, Aunt May lets Peter Parker know what we found out in #1’s backup. I hated what Peter says to her more so after praising how Taylor handled Peter in the opening arc. #6 is a sweet read as Spider-Man is joined by Spider-Bite to retrieve the heart of the city. The inside covers rightly recommend Nick Spencer’s Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man by Chip Zdarsky.