DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I should also reiterate how fucking psyched I am to pick this shit up monthly.

PoX #6 really expressed what I'm looking forward to the most which is the Backstabbing that will inevitably come. It reminds me of Age of Apocalypse and how everybody was trying to fuck everybody over, while the heroes were the people who committed to what they said were going to do.

The stakes are so high right now for this reality that Mystique's request seemed like a possible future world fucker.

A term that was used during the phalanx segment had alarms going off. That when they hit the singularity they'd be beyond "space and time." Might be saving that for a big summer crossover next year.

Billy-Vell (@williamaximoff) asked: Marvel Girl going back to her old ’60s costume is probably the most controversial wardrobe change in a while, can you talk about why she’s wearing it again, and if there’s any chance she might get a new one(or even go back to another old one)?

Jonathan: I’m not going to lie, this one has been disappointing.

I was pretty sure everyone would figure this out as soon as House of X #1 hit the stands. And while I’m not going to spoil the story for you, I will say go back and look at the most famous time she put this costume back on. That should help. 

-----

When did she put the Marvel Girl costume back on? 

33 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Billy-Vell (@williamaximoff) asked: Marvel Girl going back to her old ’60s costume is probably the most controversial wardrobe change in a while, can you talk about why she’s wearing it again, and if there’s any chance she might get a new one(or even go back to another old one)?

Jonathan: I’m not going to lie, this one has been disappointing.

I was pretty sure everyone would figure this out as soon as House of X #1 hit the stands. And while I’m not going to spoil the story for you, I will say go back and look at the most famous time she put this costume back on. That should help. 

-----

When did she put the Marvel Girl costume back on? 

On the moon, the night before Phoenix's trial by combat.

ETA: technically that wasn't Jean, but it's certainly the most famous time "a" Jean wore the minidress after ditching it.  Only other thing I can think of is Deadpool wearing it.

Edited by Cliff Hanger
  • Thanks 1

I’m wondering about her being called Mrs. Grey by one of the kids. 

one thing we discussed on the pod is “are they bringing people back from when they died only? Or could they instead bring back an earlier version?” 

So, one guy I'm really curious about is Thunderbird I. He died so early into things, you wonder if they have his stuff. THEN I went back through and it's revealed that Sinister's mutant DNA is from him. I wonder if that somehow means that they can't bring him back?

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I’m wondering about her being called Mrs. Grey by one of the kids. 

one thing we discussed on the pod is “are they bringing people back from when they died only? Or could they instead bring back an earlier version?” 

I'm very interested in that. The data page says they're backed up weekly.  Scott's first words to Xavier are "did it work?", so he clearly knew the plan but was backed up before leaving Earth. And as Paul said, we know Xavier has restored himself from earlier backups even if he hasn't done it to anyone else.  My gut instinct, for which I have no receipts, is that the on-grid backups are all weekly and the black-site one stores older reads that Xavier, Magneto and Moira thought useful as replacements.

So, X-Men #1 thoughts.  There's one thing that bugs the hell out of me.

I absolutely do not buy Vulcan being welcomed into the family.  I can deal with him being allowed into Krakoan society, the idea of a general amnesty where even Apocalypse is welcome means he must be too.  But he murdered Corsair and nearly did the same to Havok and Rachel.  My family is strained as fuck over much less violent behavior, so the idea that he gets a room at the Summer House and gets to have a cookout with the family where no one seems the slightest bit uncomfortable seems fucking bonkers, and not in the fun Kirby-esque way.

Edited by Cliff Hanger

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

So, X-Men #1 thoughts.  There's one thing that bugs the hell out of me.

Hide contents

I absolutely do not buy Vulcan being welcomed into the family.  I can deal with him being allowed into Krakoan society, the idea of a general amnesty where even Apocalypse is welcome means he must be too.  But he murdered Corsair and nearly did the same to Havok and Rachel.  My family is strained as fuck over much less violent behavior, so the idea that he gets a room at the Summer House and gets to have a cookout with the family where no one seems the slightest bit uncomfortable seems fucking bonkers, and not in the fun Kirby-esque way.

So, who knows exactly at what memory point they brought him back to?

Yes and we also  don't know if there has been any tampering with the backups before people are brought back also, would it be surprising to find out that certain parts are being removed or repressed by Xavier when he's doing back ups? Being Xavier means he probably has done some things that will bite him (and the X-men) in the ass later

What if this is a giant swerve and the X-Men Xavier are using are actually the hatched Brood X-Men that no one has done anything with since Claremont introduced and then totally forgot he even created

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

I rarely post preview pages but will here because it's Patrick Gleason's first story arc on The Amazing Spider-Man (he made a brief debut in The Amazing Spider-Man #25) and I've looked forward to this with the solicits saying Spider-Man 2099 is part of it. I'm also posting it for Spidey's quips:

ASM2018032_Preview-5.jpeg?w=756

ASM2018032_Preview-6.jpeg?w=756