DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I think it works as an out-of-continuity tribute issue, but if you try to actually count it, it's a mess.

It never occurred to me that it was supposed to be some sort of in-continuity Marvel 616 story.

<shrug>  I thought it was very well done.  I haven't read it since it came out, though.  A lot of comics I liked 10 years ago haven't held up well.

I really hope he's bring ironic or parodying online reviewers or something. If not, wow, someone needs to take away his Internet.

I'm a little disappointed he hasn't discovered Judd Winnick yet. His rant about how Zatanna would cure AIDS in 15 secs could be epic.

Just my opinion, but JMS seems really underrated to me.

I think that review is clearly supposed to be satirical.

I think Straczyinski is very hit and miss. Some of his work is excellent (Midnight Nation, Supreme Power), sowe of it is mediocre, some of it is awful.

I couldn't read more than the first trade of his Spider-Man run, because that one made me angry already. I never read any of his Superman run, but it sounds awful.

I liked JMS's Thor run. I also think the Earth One OGNs are decent. I haven't really read anything else by him though. I semi-want to read his Spider-man run, but it sound like there is a bit too much crap mixed in with the good. How is The Twelve?

I think Straczyinski is very hit and miss. Some of his work is excellent (Midnight Nation, Supreme Power), sowe of it is mediocre, some of it is awful.

I couldn't read more than the first trade of his Spider-Man run, because that one made me angry already. I never read any of his Superman run, but it sounds awful.

I really liked his Spider Man run.  There were some awful plot twists (Gwen's clone children), but I'm blaming editorial for at least some of that.  The actual scripting was good.

Not a big fan of his aborted Superman run, but I liked the idea.  Kinda wish he had stayed on the book and things had had time to play out.

Midnight Nation, Supreme Power, and Rising Stars are easily his best work, imo.

I got a $100 Amazon giftcard for Christmas. I just spent around $50 for the X-Men "Age of Apocalypse" omnibus hardcover book. I'm pretty psyched. I grew up during this time period, was always a huge X-Men fan, but I don't think I ever read this story arc when I was little. Or, if I did, I have no memory of it. Either way, it's over a thousand pages, so I'm pretty happy. I don't like buying books and graphic novels unless they're huge books that time some time to get through and digest.

I almost bought the complete Marvel Zombie omnibus, but I'm a big Apocalypse fan.

I really liked his Spider Man run.  There were some awful plot twists (Gwen's clone children), but I'm blaming editorial for at least some of that.  The actual scripting was good.

Not a big fan of his aborted Superman run, but I liked the idea.  Kinda wish he had stayed on the book and things had had time to play out.

Midnight Nation, Supreme Power, and Rising Stars are easily his best work, imo.

Has anyone read any of his new Image books, yet? His creator-owned work tends to be better in general.

I can think of several books that are over 1,000 pages.

The Walking Dead Compendium comes to mind, which collects the first 48 issues of the series, the DC Nu52 Omnibus, which collects all 52 #1 issues of the reboot. There's also a book that collects the entire Bone series from Jeff Smith, which is over 1,300 pages acording to Amazon.