DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

For me, Ramos' art seems out of place everywhere but impulse.

I think his art became a lot more distinct since the 90s. I really liked the guy on Impulse and Crimson.

I haven't read Spider-Man regularly since Mackie wrote the books, but the handful of books I've read in the last few years that Ramos drew were not pretty to look at.

Nothing really surprising or big there.

Brutal honesty in this day and age? That's pretty surprising to me.

Nothing really surprising or big there.

Brutal honesty in this day and age? That's pretty surprising to me.

Same here.  I don't really follow the news sites much, but I don't recall a company or editor saying flat-out "the book he was writing wasn't the one we wanted.",  Usually, editor/writer clashes seem to be made public through vague tweets or Rich Johnson rumor columns. 

Honestly, does it matter?  Joe Mad is drawing the book.  I eagerly await the conclusion of the first six-part story line in early 2016.

In the time it takes Madureira to draw a year of the book, Soule will have time to become a judge (he's a practicing attorney).

For the record, I quite liked Ramos' art on Crimson.  Didn't read Impulse.  Have hated everything he's drawn since.

For me, Ramos' art seems out of place everywhere but impulse.

Exactly.  Perfect fit on that book, drives me away from damn near everything else I've seen him do.  Bart is (well, was, before Johns got a hold of him) the best character for a sloppy and somewhat manga-esque art style.

The problem is, Ramos' style is good for a very specific style of book...and it's not the types of things they're giving him. 

Dude needs something high energy with a minimum of big, tragic, dramatic moments. 

I actually think Spider-man is a great fit for him during stuff like Spider Island. It just doesn't work as well when Slott's shooting for more emotional beats.

Cheers, Eivion.

Avenging Spider-Man #18 is written by Christopher Yost. Electro returns from disappearing in The Amazing Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth by Thor and he wants revenge on him. SpOck intervenes. Another good issue on the series about the Superior Spider-Man though my least favourite of the four.

So Steve Wacker is leaving the print side of Marvel for the animation side. I'm kind of happy with this. He was a solid editor, but there have also been times where I thought he was gave a bit too much freedom to writers, allowing for mistakes that really shouldn't have existed. The current Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy are particularly bad with this.

Really dug Uncanny Avengers #15. Havok and Cap were fun together for the short time they were in. Jan and Thor had some cool moments. Sentry absolutely freaked me the hell out in one scene. And the ending actually felt pretty big. Not sure why, but I thought this was good improvement over the last issue which featured some big deaths they had been building to, but didn't quite hit the emotional mark for me. Good issue this month.

Carrying on my Spider-Man kick, Comic Book Resources Top 50 Spider-Man Stories of All Time might interest you:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/05/04/50-greatest-spider-man-stories-master-list/#more-139017

There's some stuff I would quibble about being on that list (Maximum Garbage?  REALLY?) but that top 5 is absurdly great stuff.

Carrying on my Spider-Man kick, Comic Book Resources Top 50 Spider-Man Stories of All Time might interest you:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/05/04/50-greatest-spider-man-stories-master-list/#more-139017

One thing that jumps out at me as a huge omission is the 9/11 issue JMS wrote (Amazing #36, irrc).  One of the best written single issues ever, imo.