DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

House of X #2 was fucking genius. Best mindblowing single issue I've read in ages. Every page I was fucking cackling with excitement.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Did other people spot the thing I spotted on first read? I'm still buzzed on it. It's not deeply hidden or anything but we're conditioned to read comics so quickly.

YEP. I'm officially in the deep on this shit.  We may need a House/Powers of X spoiler zone thread to discuss this shit.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I've never wanted ot know what Jsy & Miles thought about X-Men more than with these first 3 issues!

James

I really wish they were still doing the weekly youtube reviews of the week's books. It might even be enough to get me to join their patreon.

(ETA: I know they no longer live in the same town and can't tape together for video, but there was that period where they would have one person on cam and the other doing a mix of audio and 'drawing' on the screen)

Edited by Cliff Hanger

Re: Moira.

So the biggest issue I see is this: According to Destiny, in her 11th life, she's going to die as a kid before her mutant power activates, thus dying forever. That means whatever she did in her last life didn't matter and wouldn't be replicated. She'll have 12 years tops to set the timestream right based on all she's learned. Plus, she's never really impacted anything before age 12 so she has know idea what the ripples will be. But the second she dies in this life, no matter what she did, she starts back over in the timeline and invalidates whatever she did last time, basically. I have to think he has this accounted for, but it seems like a pretty big problem.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Re: Moira.

So the biggest issue I see is this: According to Destiny, in her 11th life, she's going to die as a kid before her mutant power activates, thus dying forever. That means whatever she did in her last life didn't matter and wouldn't be replicated. She'll have 12 years tops to set the timestream right based on all she's learned. Plus, she's never really impacted anything before age 12 so she has know idea what the ripples will be. But the second she dies in this life, no matter what she did, she starts back over in the timeline and invalidates whatever she did last time, basically. I have to think he has this accounted for, but it seems like a pretty big problem.

Sorry, what do you mean by "problem"?(that's sounds douchey written, but it's more my ignorance not yours) Do you mean this is a problem the character will have to overcome, or this is a problem the writer might not see as a problem and could lead to some plot holes?

Because it seems like what you've pointed out is now the entire drama of the series. I actually imagine her dying in the next couple of issues and we get life 11 and/or 12.  Going over the timelines, it appears that what we're reading is no longer the time line that we've read for decades, and it also seems like theres a slight caveat that the X-Men timeline rebooting is insulated from the MArvel Universe so it's not a massive reboot. So I would think that over the course of Powers/House we're either going to see how this timeline fails and a new one starts with no Moira(which kind of raises the stakes for future series) or we see how this timeline fails and Moira makes the new "righter" choice providing us with a new status quo.

Destiny could always be lying. That was also included in the dialogue - but who would test it, right?

16 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Sorry, what do you mean by "problem"?(that's sounds douchey written, but it's more my ignorance not yours) Do you mean this is a problem the character will have to overcome, or this is a problem the writer might not see as a problem and could lead to some plot holes?

Because it seems like what you've pointed out is now the entire drama of the series. I actually imagine her dying in the next couple of issues and we get life 11 and/or 12.  Going over the timelines, it appears that what we're reading is no longer the time line that we've read for decades, and it also seems like theres a slight caveat that the X-Men timeline rebooting is insulated from the MArvel Universe so it's not a massive reboot. So I would think that over the course of Powers/House we're either going to see how this timeline fails and a new one starts with no Moira(which kind of raises the stakes for future series) or we see how this timeline fails and Moira makes the new "righter" choice providing us with a new status quo.

Destiny could always be lying. That was also included in the dialogue - but who would test it, right?

I would say it's more of a question than a problem, one that's not yet being engaged by the narrative and therefore isn't being engaged by the people discussing the narrative, but that will almost certainly be paid off. Moira's motivation throughout the series is to find the right path to make the best life/world/outcome for her people. She's attempted removal of mutants scientifically, Xavier's dream, Isolationism, Magneto's dream, Apocalypse's dream, and is now trying some sort of more aggressive hybrid approach with Xavier. 

What's less clear is what she expects to happen when she finds the correct path and dies again, be it through natural causes or unnatural ones. She'll start out as a baby once more. If, at that point, she doesn't follow things exactly as she did for the "correct" timeline, then it was all for nothing.

If she's going to die her final death before she's 12, then her ability to set things on the right path are limited, and basically, she should be exploring the sort of positive effect she can have before she hits puberty in each life so she can lay down that much road. 

Or Destiny is lying.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:13 PM, D.Z said:

Timeline 6 is the one before Hickman took over? Timeline 9 is still going?

Timeline 11 is the final one.

They've confirmed the series is set in the same timeline as the mainline MCU and follows on the classic stuff. Which makes sense because timeline ten is the only one where she has Proteus (unless the redacted timeline 6 has that as well)

The big stuff today was a furthering of the evolution theme in the far future, bringing in some stuff like the

Uni-Mind/Supreme Intelligence/technarchy and most especially the Phalanx.

It's pretty clear at this point that the underlying theme of this is "What is Evolution in the Marvel Universe and what is it's logical end points?" I'd be sort of surprised if we don't see Celestials/Galactus at some point as he keep extrapolating further, especially with the reveal a few weeks ago elsewhere that Franklin Richards was going to be the last entity in our reality and become the new Galactus in the next one. 

Edited by Matt D

To be fair, Franklin becoming Galactus goes all the way back to the Universe X miniseries in the 90s. And Franklin won't be alone, this universe's Galactus will be there as well as Franklin's herald.

I don't know either tbh.

Powers of X 3 spoilers

Spoiler

Polaris and White Queen DNA combined makes North. So it's not Magneto.

Anyway the book explains how timeline 9 ends and how 10 came to be.

Powers #3.

You sort of figure out what's going on from the infographic in the beginning, and then you work it out more and more as the issue goes on.

Very neat idea, very neat inversion from Powers #1 and what we thought was going on.

Alllllllmost a cheat.

Annoyingly, LCS I stopped at today was already sold out of Pox 3 by 2:30. 

At least I got Jimmy Olsen 2 and last week’s POX 2.

POX 3: I presume folks will spend a few days figuring out the genealogy of the future mutants. 

Edited by odessasteps

Pox 3 reveal feels like it SHOULD have been obvious after #2, but I figured it out pretty much where they wanted us to feel like it was obvious, about a page before Logan goes back to base. The shipping choices are now pretty obviously because we needed this info to make Hox make sense.  Very excited for next week.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Pox 3 reveal feels like it SHOULD have been obvious after #2, but I figured it out pretty much where they wanted us to feel like it was obvious, about a page before Logan goes back to base. The shipping choices are now pretty obviously because we needed this info to make Hox make sense.  Very excited for next week.

At this point, I think there's good reason to suspect that

The missing life #6 is the 1000 year in the future reality, maybe one where she ended up working with the machines? I mean it's possible that Moira is the Librarian in Powers of X? Also, what's going on in the last two panels of Powers #1, when two people appear out of nowhere in the preserve the far future.

@jaedmc, we should just have a dedicated spoiler thread already.