DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #26 written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Kev Walker in Who Run The World? Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin and a new group made up of female villains are out for Boomerang. This was such a fun issue. Boomerang’s a standout for his behaviour from his line to Pete saying “You’re like the Captain America’s shield of human shields!” and even flirting with Aunt May!

Had a talk with @Bustronaut about X-Men not long ago and how safe the comic often feels relative to its premise, so that's the lens I've been looking at the new launch through.

It's pretty obvious that Hickman is taking the Morrison route with House/Powers and that it's ALL about Evolution. The Hated/Feared element is there, of course, but it's heavily reactionary. This is all about the Evolutionary War and extremely forward looking. That's what the "Powers" nomenclature is all about.

As such, a lot of this will live and die on how interesting he can make robots out to be, which is a weird thing for X-Men to live and die on. I thought the childlike elements of Nimrod made for a good start, though. 

• Like 3

Just now, Matt D said:

Had a talk with @Bustronaut about X-Men not long ago and how safe the comic often feels relative to its premise, so that's the lens I've been looking at the new launch through.

It's pretty obvious that Hickman is taking the Morrison route with House/Powers and that it's ALL about Evolution. The Hated/Feared element is there, of course, but it's heavily reactionary. This is all about the Evolutionary War and extremely forward looking. That's what the "Powers" nomenclature is all about.

As such, a lot of this will live and die on how interesting he can make robots out to be, which is a weird thing for X-Men to live and die on. I thought the childlike elements of Nimrod made for a good start, though. 

Sounds promising. Cheers!

I'm a big X-Men fan that hasn't really been into the books for a loooooong time.

Read House of X today, and it' seems promising. It's got a Morrison vibe, and but it's definitely of today's politics and discourse. The progressive answer for mutants went from integration to separation. It's a  cynical isolationism, hell is other people, kind of solution that I find a little sad and hopeless. There's a justification there, no doubt, but the big dumb optimist in me thinks we shouldn't stop trying to live together. I guess as a society we're long past seeing the nobility of protecting a people that "hates and fears" you, and see such an act as a sucker's game. 

Which ever way it goes, it's been an interesting read. It may not be what I want, but that doesn't make it bad either.

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Read House of X today, and it' seems promising. It's got a Morrison vibe, and but it's definitely of today's politics and discourse. The progressive answer for mutants went from integration to separation. It's a  cynical isolationism, hell is other people, kind of solution that I find a little sad and hopeless. There's a justification there, no doubt, but the big dumb optimist in me thinks we shouldn't stop trying to live together. I guess as a society we're long past seeing the nobility of protecting a people that "hates and fears" you, and see such an act as a sucker's game. 

I think they get there but it just takes X^3 to do so?

It feels like that. Like there's a reason why Magneto is the primary voice of the new Mutant ideology in the first issue. We start here and show why the original Xavier vision has value in today's age. 

Okay read Power of X. Some neat stuff, but the time juming aspect of X-Men hasn't always been my favorite. So many future histories to rewrite for one team. 

I was also instantly deflated at the very first page of the comic, when it used my least favorite phrase in language "the thing is". The fucking worst. So it had a to work it's way back from a deep hole. 

I did like the mentions of a certain mutant villain that I've always had a soft spot for, and can't wait to see what kind of stories Hickman will use him for in the future.

So, I'm all in for the X-Line. Thought both series started strong. That said, it felt like every five minutes there was a setup for a big reveal that didn't happen and that's FRUSTRATING. Powers in particular had at least three or four things and getting to know one of them at least would have helped.

The fact that Prof X has in many ways turned on his dream, paired with the number of dead X-Men revived and the weird...grown ones in Krakoa? Makes me continue to feel something is off about the whole deal. Whatever it is, I find the concept and execution so far interesting enough to hype me up which is all I could ask for at this stage.

Eh.... someone reminded me about that time Punisher became a black man.  I didn't really need to remember that was a thing.

Spoiler

It's kinda of a long story, but the short version is that Jigsaw carved up Punisher's face while they were in prison together and left Castle severely scarred.  Punisher escaped from prison and went to a plastic surgeon who used to be a prostitute or drug addict or something, and asked her to make him unrecognizable so his enemies wouldn't find him.  Somehow, she turned him into an African-American, so he could be beat up by racist cops and such.  Eventually, his skin just kinda became white again without much explanation.

This happened not long after the Rodney King riots, so I assume writer Mike Baron was inspired by that and wanted to try his hand at social commentary.  The results were... not good.  In Baron's defense.... um.... I really liked Nexus and Badger during the First Comics era.

I can't decide if the above is more or less ridiculous than Punisher's turn as a Frankenstein monster.  At least that had Rick Remender on the book.

Mike Baron's understanding of how plastic surgery worked in the 90's was just bizarre.

Edited by Doc Townsend

So the mega retcon in HoX this week is fucking bonkers:

Moira is (a) alive, (b) a mutant whose power is a Groundhog Day loop that's not time limited--when she dies, she wakes up in the womb with full knowledge of all her past lives. 616 timeline is her tenth time through, and Xavier has had her knowledge since the day they met.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Reveal hidden contents

Moira is (a) alive, (b) a mutant whose power is a Groundhog Day loop that's not time limited--when she dies, she wakes up in the womb with full knowledge of all her past lives. 616 timeline is her tenth time through, and Xavier has had her knowledge since the day they met.

I can't remember a comic where I've gone back a couple of pages and reread more in years. I must have ended up reading half the pages fifteen times by the time it was all said and done.

4 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Hide contents

so:

Spoiler

It looks like a number of deaths are retconned or ignored. Wolfsbane is coming back despite being killed this past year.

Since the title is meant to be "House of 10", it seems to refer more to Moira than Charles, since she's the obvious catalyst based upon her timelines. 

The Xavier speech typo was jarring because I'm not used to seeing it.

For a while there I had thought that

Moira #5 or whenever they showed AvX was the timeline we knew and everything after that was a rewritten timeline, which would explain why some people were alive again. But the back material seemed to say that wasn't the case. EDIT: It's 4 not five. 1 is the teacher with kids. 2 is unsatisfied and a plane crash. 3 is early research and killed by the Brotherhood. 4 is something VERY similar to our timeline (maybe our timeline?). 5 is Faraway. 7 is Trask-Hunter. 8 Is Magneto. 9 is Apocalypse. 10 is House of X.

Wait, where the fuck is life six? It's not in the chart. It's just a white space. And it's missing in the comic too. They just skip!

Edited by Matt D