DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Are current Spider-man comics good? The last thing I read was  Superior Spider-man.

I've only read thru issue 6 but it's the same bouncy fun as Spencer's Ant-Man. Definitely far better than his Cap was.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Are current Spider-man comics good? The last thing I read was  Superior Spider-man.

So you haven't been reading my reviews of the Amazing Spider-Man and the Superior Spider-Man in this thread then? ?

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 5 is great. Nick Spencer does well balancing the story with the humour. There's a number of times I chuckled out loud. Spencer’s undone the faults in Dan Slott's Spider-Man. If you want to read the best Nick Spencer stories in the run go for Back to Basics (TASM #1-5) and Heist (TASM #8-10). I agree with Odessa that Hunted ran too long.

You said Superior Spider-Man was the last Spidey you read? SSM #1-33 by Dan Slott? I recommend the second volume of the current ongoing by Christos Gage. It's the book I enjoy the most. Gage has the voice down for Otto Octavius, he still has a superiority complex about him but he's willing to admit when he's wrong and seek help if required. #4 is one of the best SpOck stories and I've read the majority of them.

Edited by The Natural

Opening up my document of comic book reviews, I posted my review of Secret Wars (2015) but not the tie-ins. Here they be:

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows by Dan Slott/Adam Kubert. In Secret Wars, Victor Von Doom is God of Battleworld made up of small sectors from prior Earths. Here Peter Parker is still married to Mary Jane Watson and has a daughter, Annie. Regent takes out powered and non-powered superheroes. Regent has stolen powers and is in power but wants more, those who are at risk. Peter is brought out of his exile to protect their powered daughter from Regent and his forces.

I’ve read this a few times, great book for the story and art. Parkers are married, the commentary on how far you go to protect loved ones, great power/great responsibility…the Parker luck, why Spidey uses humour and the double meaning of renewal of vows. Dan Slott’s best work since the Superior Spider-Man period and overall.

Deadpool #250 by Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn. In Deadpool #250’s first story, Deadpool’s preparation/attack on Ultimatum is funny and entertaining. Ultimatum went back on the deal Deadpool made to leave his loved ones alone. Bittersweet ending too as a result of 2015’s Secret Wars. Six short stories on friends in this run by guest writers are okay/alright. The final story is a flashback to ’91 as Deadpool acquires the Infinity Gauntlet with the Marvel Universe attending a Marvel Universe roast. I enjoyed the cameo appearance of the dinosaur/lizard from Deadpool (2012) #1.  There's funny gags at the expense of Deadpool and Madame Web.

Deadpool #250 was a very good issue. A notable one as it’s the end of Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn’s run on Deadpool. I really enjoyed this run barring a few missteps. The highlight of it was the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Deadpool (2012) #15-19. A must read. I’d also recommend Dead Presidents, Deadpool (2012) #1-6 and The Wedding of Deadpool, Deadpool (2012) #27.

Old Man Logan: Warzones! This book collects Old Man Logan #1-5 by Brian Michael Bendis. Old Man Logan passes through the territories in Battleworld made up of patches of previous worlds from Secret Wars/God Doom. This was a very good book seeing an elder Wolverine react to them and people to him. I right liked Old Man Logan with Emma Frost, a Thor, Iron Man’s Technopolis and vs. the Deadlands. 

House of M collects House of M (2015) #1-4 and House of M (2005) #1. In House of M (2015) #1-4, King Magneto and his children reigns a domain in Secret Wars Battleworld with the mutants the majority population and humans the oppressed. The small human resistance movement aim to assassinate King Magnus while Quicksilver wants to crown aided by Namor and his soldiers. I enjoyed seeing a world where Magneto reigns, mutants outnumber humans, S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Wolverine/X-Men travel in sentinels loyal to Magneto of all things and the rebel uprising. House of M (2005) #1, the Avengers and X-Men meet to discuss the Scarlet Witch’s fate. There’s a recap page for what happened beforehand. An okay issue. I know the original storyline had big consequences.

Edited by The Natural

Fairly major spoilers for the X-Statix one-shot dropped from Marvel a day early, because they couldn't do us the courtesy of either spoiling a few weeks out or just letting us be surprised.  

"Evil dada shock troops for the culture war that lies ahead" sounds like Milligan having a stroke, frankly.  I have no opinion on dead chars coming back or Zeitgeist being set up as a villain--he was barely a character before, after all--but I have serious questions about X-Cellent after that preview page. Whatever it ends up being, I'll buy #1.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #25 written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Ryan Ottley, Humberto Ramos and most notably Patrick Gleason making his Marvel Comics debut. The main story made up of three strands, Kindred’s machinations, Spider-Man’s looking for the Lizard and Mary Jane Watson sees a Broadway show. Of these, MJ gets the most development and what it leads to her. A fine story but less so when it’s the 25th, I’d expect more. I hoped we’d find out Kindred’s true identity, hope the mystery doesn’t drag past its sell by date. LOL at a certain Carlie Cooper panel. Zeb Wells’ backup story was decent involving Spidey and Jolly J. Jonah Jameson. The Spider-Man story by a computer was dreadfully unnecessary.

You Are Deadpool collects You Are Deadpool #1-5 written by Al Ewing, artists are Salva Espin and Paco Diaz. You Are Deadpool and make your choices across the book. This was distinctive because of the format and funny effort as Deadpool passes comments on the picks made by you. The tutorial issue #1 was my favourite followed by guest appearances in later issues I won’t spoil. I chuckled aloud a number of times while waiting for a hospital appointment. The ending kinda felt flat to me.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:20 PM, Eivion said:

Relevant to this, Comixology has a bundle right now that gets you every issue of Spencer's run up to #24 for $20 USD. That's 28 issues total (counting the included .HU issues) and, all things considered, a heck of a deal given that the last five issues alone would cost that much otherwise.

• Like 1

I went ahead a picked up the first three volumes of Spencer run from the library so I will be checking it out soon. Have to get through volume 3 of the current Runaways first (finished volume 2 last night). 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Also, spenser appears to be bringing back the superior foes  in the next issue. 

Second time in Nick Spencer's The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5, 2018) run. The first was in #6-7.

If any of you haven't read The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, you must.

Edited by The Natural

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I went ahead a picked up the first three volumes of Spencer run from the library so I will be checking it out soon. Have to get through volume 3 of the current Runaways first (finished volume 2 last night). 

Be good to get your take on it. Like me, you're fortunate to have a good library. 

Finished Volumes 2 & 3 of Rowell's Runaways run. The only thing I probably don't care for is Karolina/Nico, but that is because it feels like more of a shippers' fantasies thing than something legit to me. Still there is years of stuff I have missed with Nico so maybe something there makes sense of it. Still, the breakup with Julie was done well enough, and its nice to see everyone together again. Not familiar with whatever happened with Alex's original return, but I like what was done with him here and the children of the Gibborim. I can see why people are digging this latest run so far.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:48 PM, D.Z said:

merlin_154333758_6b5754ef-bfc8-489b-85e9

On 5/8/2019 at 5:56 PM, D.Z said:

from the article:

And for the anniversary if the original Marvel Comics #1000 in 1939, which would have hit a thousand issues if it had been published every month. Which it wasn’t.

so, late to the party, but if Marvel [Mystery] Comics was published monthly since its debut in Oct/Nov '39, it would hit #1000 on March of 2023. not quite August of 2019, but maybe my drunken armchair math is faulty? Also, in the post WWII era, MMC regularly skipped months (according to Marvel.wikia) so those numbers wouldn't even be accurate anyway. i'm a little disappointed.
Still anticipating this however, as i'm currently reading the entirety of Golden Age Marvel. it's kinda cool, but also a slog. 

Edited by twiztor

2099 reminds me of my annoyance at them never finishing the trades for Spider-man 2099. I was enjoying those.

I'm curious about Annihilation getting another sequel. I don't totally love Cates' GotG, but it is good. He definitely feels like the successor to what Giffen & DnA started back in 06.

Read the first three volumes of Spencer's Spider-man run. Really digging it so far. Spencer has done well resetting things a bit in Pete's life while also still seemingly moving forward. I like Boomerang as a roommate. Never really read anything with him before, but they had some nice layers within him even if he is bsing a bit. The thieves guild story was neat and it was interesting to see the group used in absence of X-men and Gambit. I like the whole support group idea for the for the friends and family of supers. I dug how Pete and MJ reunited along with how their relationship is going. The story with Kraven in the background is building up nicely as well. These were just good reads all around. Looking forward to checking out the next volume.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1