DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Read the following a while back...

Night of the Living Deadpool by Cullen Bunn. Deadpool wakes up to find the world has changed as zombies walk…stumble. I like Deadpool particularly for the Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn run I’ve read last year and the film. I enjoyed this book. I liked the flashback to Deadpool missing hints/clues to what was happening, the use of colour – Deadpool is in his usual colours, the majority of the book is black/grey while the events before the event are in full colour. Nice touch as is the zombies reacting to what they’re doing. Good gags, my favourite was the aforementioned flashback, Deadpool having to consume ammo and Deadpool monologue at the barricade using snarky comments to cover retreat/fear and mall walkers. 

Deadpool #1 written by Skottie Young. In the main story Deadpool takes a contract for a hit on somebody. The backup recounts DP’s origins around superheroes including Spider-Man/Superman. I thought this was a very poor restart for a first issue of a book. The issue’s not funny either as Deadpool can be. I did like Nic Klein’s artwork.

On 6/20/2019 at 4:13 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

So less than ten minutes later, it's become clear the big announcement is JJ Abrahms co-writing a Spider-man mini with his son with Sara Pichelli on art.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/21/some-comic-creators-werent-amused-by-marvel-hiring-j-j-abrams-son-to-write-spider-man/

Gail Simone framed it really well on Twitter. This series isn't taking away a spot from someone else. It's a book that was made for JJ's name and the novelty of having him write something (with his son tagging along). If JJ hadn't signed on, there would be no book so nothing is lost by having it exist.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Gail Simone framed it really well on Twitter. This series isn't taking away a spot from someone else. It's a book that was made for JJ's name and the novelty of having him write something (with his son tagging along). If JJ hadn't signed on, there would be no book so nothing is lost by having it exist.

Thing is, I don't think people would be upset about J.J. writing a Spidey event mini.

It's that his son is getting to skip straight to writing a heavily promoted mini series at the largest comic publisher, featuring their most famous character, solely because of who his dad is.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Thing is, I don't think people would be upset about J.J. writing a Spidey event mini.

It's that his son is getting to skip straight to writing a heavily promoted mini series at the largest comic publisher, featuring their most famous character, solely because of who his dad is.

Its still essentially J.J.'s story is it not?

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its still essentially J.J.'s story is it not?

It sounds like, from what I can tell, the two is them co-plotted it, the kid is writing it and then sending the pages to his dad to go over.

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Sure and I get that but it's still a specialized project being made to get JJ's name on a thing. And, to his credit, JJ's kid seems pretty aware of his fortune for it.

It's not really any different than Walt Flanagan getting to draw a highly promoted Batman book because he's buddies with Kevin Smith. Or CM Punk getting as much Marvel work because of his wrestling profile. Sometimes it just happens that way. 

I look at it this way, the more mediocre crap that gets done, the closer I move to having the guts to pitch my Blazing Skull limited series. If you don't think that I can do batshit insane for a dozen issues, you really don't know me very well.

Edited by OSJ

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

I look at it this way, the more mediocre crap that gets done, the closer I move to having the guts to pitch my Blazing Skull limited series. If you don't think that I can do batshit insane for a dozen issues, you really don't know me very well.

Maybe you should try to write an episode of Jersey Shore first? That might up your odds.

Edited by Matt D
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2019 at 8:00 AM, Matt D said:

Maybe you should try to write an episode of Jersey Shore first? That might up your odds.

But I've never been to the Jersey Shore (and must confess, no real desire to ever go there.) I have, however, walked the mean streets of Hightstown back in the day when my employer would fly me all over the country to do training seminars.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #24. Nick Spencer writes and Ryan Ottley draws. Quentin Beck/Mysterio is interviewed at Ravencroft. The story’s called One-On-One. I liked this issue as the psychiatrist asks Quentin Beck and suggests it’s Beck who’s lost himself in the illusions he does as Mysterio. This Centidemon has been built up well as a threat and a mystery as to their true identity. To avoid a nickname coined by Spider-Man, it gives Pete a name to call it…Kindred. Ezekiel Sims was my guess for the identity of Kindred.

I’ve seen these names speculated as to who Kindred is:

Dennis Carradine/The Burglar that killed Uncle Ben.

Peter Parker moments before the infamous One More Day deal.

The original Gwen Stacy.

Jason Macendale.

Have to admit I chuckled at someone suggestion, Dan Slott.

I like the idea that it’s the Burglar and if One More Day gets erased. I prefer to think the latter doesn’t exist.

Edited by The Natural