DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #18.HU written by Nick Spencer and on art duties, Chris Bachalo. This issue features the Lizard as he’s looking for his kidnapped son. The story had plus points in the Lizard’s narration and what’s happened to the Bar with No Name but its inessential and the weakest of the HU’s. Not helped by Bachalo’s art, characters look small in height and deformed in the face. 

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #20 is written by Nick Spencer and on art, Humberto Ramos in Part 4 of Hunted. Kraven the Hunter wants to weave out the weak. A solid issue, I feel this event would be better served by making it a four or five issue arc.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #20.HU written by Nick Spencer and on art duties, Cory Smith is half a spotlight on the Vulture while the backup goes to Vermin. Nick Spencer’s worst issue to date. Just read the Black Cat and Gibbon HUs.

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #6, LGY #39 written by Christos Gage, on art is Mike Hawthorne. The two doctors, Otto Octavius as the Superior Spider-Man and Stephen Strange reluctantly team to take down Pandemonium. I really enjoyed this showing how their paths crossed years prior in the first few pages, Octavius as a man of science to Strange’s magic user and how they were able to defeat Pandemonium. An exchange – SpOck’s Spider arms for the Cloak of Levitation and Otto taunting Pandemonium as Peter Parker uses jibes. The Spider-Man book I enjoy the most.

Infamous Iron Man: Infamous collects Infamous Iron Man #1-6 by Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Malveev’s art. There’s a new Iron Man, Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom on the scene. I really liked this. Victor is after redemption from his Doctor Doom days. The explanation in #3 for Doom’s change of heart wasn’t forced as I expected, glad it referenced Secret Wars (2015) because it’s one of the best comic events. The title shows of Doom’s science and sorcery skills. People/places part of Doom’s history are used, his past with Reed Richards/Ben Grimm as a flashback and Latveria in the now. Doom’s Infamous Iron Man is also after the criminal fraternity. 

Infamous Iron Man #7-12 by Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Malveev’s art. Doctor Doom is Iron Man and trying to dispel those who doubt he’s changed for the better. I right liked this as Doom tries to do that while old foes in Ben Grimm, Johnny Storm and Stephen Strange are skeptical. A talk between Doom and Grimm stood out. #12 was my favourite issue as a fight scene is frozen as the culprit behind the trouble breaks the fourth wall to monologue why he’s doing what he is. That takes up half the issue.

Edited by The Natural

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #21 is written by Nick Spencer and on art, Humberto Ramos in Part 5 of Hunted. Spider-Man is faced with a moral dilemma with what to do about the Lizard. Sometimes you need to reread a story to get a more accurate opinion. I liked this issue more reading it back. Spidey and the Lizard are in trouble tested by Kraven’s predicament. Last few pages do an effective job at hooking you for the next part.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #22 is written by Nick Spencer and on art, Humberto Ramos in Part 6 of Hunted. We finally get the faceoff between Spider-Man and Kraven the Hunter as hunters, Kraven’s Last Son take on those animal themed characters. Spidey beat Kraven not by killing as is his way but helping one another. I didn’t see a twist coming, that worked for me.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #23 written by Nick Spencer and Nick Ottley returns to art. This is the Hunted Epilogue catching up on the main players from it. A good conclusion particularly Peter with MJ and Kraven/Kraven’s clone son. I liked the homage to Kraven’s Last Hunt. Final page is a ice touching thanking J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck, the team behind KLH with the book advertised. If you read on there’s a very effective scene well executed. Nick Ottley makes a welcome return as does the Centidemon entity.

Hunted Good and Bad spoilers...

Good:

The homage to Kraven’s Last Hunt – narration and pages replicated.

The twist ending I didn’t see coming. Only a spider can kill Kraven. Kraven couldn’t make Spider-Man do it so he became the spider again dressing himself. Kraven is killed by his cloned son who was unaware till too late. Kraven should’ve stayed dead after KLH. I hope it sticks here.

Spider-Man does little but has a big moment keeping his morals. Kraven leans it’s the man behind the power that counts.

Black Cat’s rehabilitation continues under Nick Spencer.

Two of the best parts came in tie-ins – Black Cat and the Gibbon HUs.

Centidemon teases.

Bad:

Poor pacing. The main arc in TASM would be better served by shortening to four issues, 6 in total counting the Road to and Epilogue instead of the eight we got.

The wait for Spider-Man vs. Kraven the Hunter to take place.

The Lizard and Vulture HUs weren’t required. Skip them.

I’d take a few TASM Nick Spencer arcs over this. Back to Basics (#1-5) and Heist (#8-10) come straight to mind. Might say the same for A Trivial Pursuit (#6-7).

Edited by The Natural

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #7, LGY #40 by regular writer Christos Gage and a different artist, Lan Medina. Superior Spider-Man helps the West Coast Avengers with Frost Giants in a War of the Realms tie-in. This was a terrific issue with lol moments in SpOck’s assessment of those Avengers and how he annoys all but one of them. Otto uses something from his day as Doctor Octopus in 2012’s Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth. Good nod by Gage even though I don’t like that story. Gwenpool is well used calling out tie-in tropes. I liked Lan’s illustrations, I’d welcome him back. The ongoing Spidey title I most look forward to.

Well, it's not Spidey/FF or Spider-Man 4. They tweeted a 3 Monday so it's a countdown to something.

Likely something that interests me less than Spider-Man 4 would've. Unless it's them finally admitting that they fucked the character permanently with OMD and are going to fix it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, it's not Spidey/FF or Spider-Man 4. They tweeted a 3 Monday so it's a countdown to something.

Likely something that interests me less than Spider-Man 4 would've. Unless it's them finally admitting that they fucked the character permanently with OMD and are going to fix it.

Here's hoping. Mephisto appeared in a recent Superior Spider-Man issue and one or two other Spidey titles as well.

On 3/23/2019 at 2:48 AM, D.Z said:

Life Story is great.

On 3/27/2019 at 2:46 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

It really is, though the Cap in Vietnam story it teases us with is even more interesting to me.

Still reading Life Story? I am. I thought #4 was the best since the 1st issue. #4 would also appeal to @twiztor.

Edited by The Natural

3 minutes ago, twiztor said:

cheers @The Natural i've never heard of this series but will check it out

I tagged you knowing you're a fellow Ben Reilly fan. I recommend the whole thing. #4 felt like our Ben unlike the butchered version by Dan Slott and Peter A David.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1