DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 3/23/2019 at 6:32 PM, odessasteps said:

Aaron and Ewing together should be fun, regardless of the protagonist. 

Waids history book should be good too. 

Should have maybe predicted this swerve on who the Valkyrie book would feature.

Concluding my Brian Michael Bendis Spider-Man reads...

Spider-Men II collects Spider-Men II #1-5. The Spider-Men, Peter Parker and Miles Morales find out about the other Miles Morales native to their now shared universe. This had its moments seeing the Spider-Men back again, this other Miles back story and two good surprise guests. Other Miles motivation goes from killing to not is weak and the jump timeframes were tiring. The original was a better story, it marked the first Earth-616/Ultimate Universe crossover and had more meaningful reactions with Peter to things in it.

Spider-Man: Spider-Verse – Miles Morales collects Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1-2, #5 and Spider-Man #1-2 by Brian Michael Bendis with art from Sara Pichelli. I’ve reviewed these before, the book acts as a jumping on point for those who want to dip into Miles Morales in the comic book medium after watching Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018).

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Vol. 4) collects Spider-Man #234-240 written by Brian Michael Bendis, on art duties is Oscar Bazaldua. Someone has taken up the Iron Spider identity and puts a team together for a big score. A friend of Miles Morales, Lana is caught up in it and needs his help. This was a good story for the most part, notable as it was the last by Brian Michael Bendis, the co-creator of Miles Morales as he’s gone to Detective Comics. Bendis spent 18 years at Marvel. Fittingly the final page is drawn by Sara Pichelli who co-created Miles. The book ends with an article by BMB about Ultimate Spider-Man with Peter Parker, a brand-new Spider-Man in Miles Morales, nearly dying (#240 reflects that) and giving thanks out. An insightful piece.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:22 AM, Matt D said:

Random thought: at this point, I think Angela is probably a more marketable commodity to Disney/Marvel than Miracleman is. 

Maybe? I found it odd they cut off really being able to use her as is in the MCU with Hela getting a modified version of her origin. I mean, they could clearly just create a new origin but it was just odd to me.

My guess is that there is still money in new Neil Gaiman comicbooks, so at least finishing the story has some value. But I'm not sure there's really anything to do with the character after that.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

My guess is that there is still money in new Neil Gaiman comicbooks, so at least finishing the story has some value. But I'm not sure there's really anything to do with the character after that.

you know they can't wait to do a MiracleMan vs Sentry battle.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, D.Z said:

Like to see J. Michael Straczynski doing a Spider-Man story, he never came back to the character as others do. First half of JMS Spidey run was great, second was rough with the two worst stories in the character's history.

Spider-Geddon #0-5 written by Christos Gage based on a Dan Slott story. Spider-Geddon (2018) is the sequel to Spider-Verse (2014). The Inheritors who consume Spider totems have escaped their bonds and want back at the Spiders. I enjoyed this event considering my low interest when announced and more than I did the original. Two of my favourite Spiders are key features to it, the Superior Spider-Man and Spider-Gwen. I chuckled at Spider-Gwen shouting down SpOck who backs down. Silk is demoted big time which I welcomed as I still don’t care for the character. Ben Reilly is restored to how he was before Slott and Peter A David handled him. I appreciated this by Christos Gage as I liked Ben Reilly’s Scarlet Spider since growing up reading the 1990s Clone Saga. I also liked the compromises made by Spider-Ock and Morales’ Spider-Man in handling the Inheritors. I do think the final issue was rushed slightly, that and the amount of tie-ins the only complaints I’ve come up with for this event.

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #5, LGY #38 written by Christos Gage, on art is Mike Hawthorne. Doctor Otto Octavius is under the alias Professor Elliot Tolliver has a date with a work colleague, Emma that goes wrong. I preferred this on the second readthrough, funny how Otto reveals who he is to Emma per Anna Marie Marconi’s insistence with what happened to her when Otto was masquerading as Peter Parker. There’s a fun team-up with Doctor Strange and the tensions between them. I’d like some more pairings of the Superior Spider-Man and the Marvel Universe with Octavius’ ego. Bonus marks for the cover depicting SpOck in his first costume. SSM’s had two great costumes.

This is like the ultimate dream of Bill Jemas and the year 2002, getting celebrities and writers from other more credible mediums to write the comics. 

I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun, but I find the notion funny.