DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #16.HU Black Cat is out for Hammerhead. The most important feature is Nick Spencer continuing to undo the mess made by Dan Slott on the Black Cat as the Queenpin of Crime. Now that Felicia Hardy knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man again, she has to deal with flashbacks of them together. These were foggy-gone. A very good issue for these aspects as Hardy is back to how she was. Written by Nick Spencer. Iban Coello was the artist. Like to see Coello return.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #17 written by Nick Spencer, art by Humberto Ramos in Hunter: Part 1. An ill Spider-Man searches for Black Cat, Billy Connors and finds what Kraven the Hunter is up to. This was a good start to the Hunted event, Spencer’s first on the book and darkest tale so far. Liked the callbacks to Kraven’s Last Hunt, how it opens up to that and one I won’t spoil. Hunted takes place in TASM (2018) #17-22 and four HU’s.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:07 AM, Matt D said:

I imagine Avengers works better now as the sum of its whole than how we devoured it monthly.

I've been reading through Hickman's Avengers run an issue a day for the past couple weeks and while I enjoy it, I can imagine parts of it being rather slow going if you were only getting an issue a month. Also New Avengers at least early on is the much stronger of the two.

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

I know we have fans of the Superior Spider-Man here. Nobody besides me reading the Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2)? You should be. Today's issue was terrific.

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #4, LGY #37 written by Christos Gage, on art is Mike Hawthorne. The issue is about the after effects from Superior Spider-Man’s battle against Terrax the Tamer. I loved the issue for this. We get Anna Maria Marconi shouting at SpOck correcting his rudeness, a funny panel when Otto finds out one of the Night Shift hasn’t been vetted and a poignant page as the Superior Spider-Man comforts a young boy without promoting from Anna Marie. Best issue so far and one of the best in the character’s history.

• 2 weeks later...

well, i finally finished my great X-Men read. started with X-Men #1 (1963) and read absolutely everything through Uncanny X-Men #393 (2001). 
this included (among others) all the issues of Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Generation X, Wolverine, and all the other solos and side stories i could get my hands on (with the notable exclusion of Deadpool).

i did the same with Batman a number of years ago, starting with TEC #27 and going through whatever was the last issue before the New52 started. surprisingly, it was approximately the same number of books (over 3,000!) and i finished both projects in about the same amount of time (3 years 4 months for X-Men, 3 years 9 months for Batman). it was incredible journey. i discovered stories i had never heard of, characters i wasn't familiar with that i fell in love with, and gained a deeper appreciation for some characters/arcs that i already had a handle on. 

"Age of Apocalypse" keeps its rank as my #1 comic book storyline of all time. i had previously read it a few times, but this time, with all the backdrop, was by far the most fulfilling. 
Nate Grey, X-Man, is my favorite character that i discovered through this read. i knew him from the AoA but always assumed that he was basically Cable-lite in the main continuity. how wrong i was. 
Speaking of Cable, his stories were wildly inconsistent. My favorites of his were anything that focused on the distant Askani future (i would have predicted these to be my least favorite before i read them) but anything that focused on his militant soldier attitude and leadership was not my cup of tea. 

the Claremont years are so far above everything else that it's ridiculous. That being said, there was a time when the X-Men were stationed in Australia that pretty much sucked and went nowhere. The initial run of X-Factor, with the 5 original X-Men members reuniting, was also a high point for me. 

i am taking an X-break for now, but i do have Grant Morrison's "New X-Men" run queued up for whenever i get that itch again. Likely to be followed by Joss Whedon's "Astonishing X-Men" title. If you have any later recommendations, i'd be more than happy to hear them. 

• Like 1

The Australia era for X-Men was Claremont doing a cooling off period in order to build-up for Mutant Wars/X-Tinction Agenda. A shame editorial felt the artists deserved more say in the story leading to Claremont leaving and nt getting that "Shadow King For President" story

James

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm just curious why the #393 cut off point?

393 is when the comics shifted hard to be more in line with the movies. there was tons of creative changes and most of the side series (X-Force, Gen X, etc.) all ended around this time. just seemed like a good jumping off point. fairly arbitrary, but i didn't want to read 18 more years of EVERYTHING, so i drew a line and stuck with it. the plan was always to pick-and-choose after that point.

• Like 1

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #18 written by Nick Spencer, art by Humberto Ramos in Hunter: Part 2. Spider-Man is trapped with animal themed villains caught in a hunt created by Kraven for vile trophy hunters. A decent issue as Spidey tried to watch out for the villains who wouldn’t do the same back and the inner thoughts of Spider-Man/Mary Jane Watson and the mystery Centipede entity returns.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #18.HU written by Nick Spencer and on art duties, Ken Lashley. This issue centers on the Gibbon who is caught with other animal themed characters on a hunt set by Kraven the Hunter. Going in I wasn’t aware of the Gibbon but knew where the issues direction was heading. Despite this, I was going to say enjoyed, and I did but it’s a story I won’t reread as it’s an emotional one.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #19 is written by Nick Spencer and on art, Gerado Sandoval. Hunted Part 3 is similar to the previous parts as Spider-Man and characters sporting an animal theme are hunted set up by the Hunter, Kraven. I did like the Vulture’s tall tale and Sandoval’s art is a blend of series regular artists, Ryan Ottley and Humberto Ramos. Be nice to see Sandoval return at some point.

Edited by The Natural

Its a shame that Uncanny has started to sound so good only after my older brother stopped picking it up. Suppose i will need to either wait for volumes to hit the library or take the hit to  my wallet sometime in the next month or two.

How is the whole Age of X-man thing running beside sit?

Having reviewed Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley’s Ultimate Spider-Man run, I open up my comic book document to find there’s reviews of other Brian Michael Bendis Spider-Man stories I’ve yet to post. Time to with updates where necessary:

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (Vol. 2). This book collects Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #6-10. The Scorpion is out for the Prowler as Miles Morales tries to come to terms with becoming the Ultimate Universe’s new Spider-Man. The Prowler finds out he had a hand in Miles acquiring his powers, verbals between them turn physical. I read Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (Vol. 1) ages ago. Having read some Miles Morales stories after this, I thought it was time to return to Morales’ early days. I liked this book mostly for Miles learning as he goes on as Spider-Man. Interesting looking back at this review with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) bringing it to the big screen.

Spider-Men collects Spider-Men #1-5. Mysterio creates a pathway to another world which brings The Amazing Spider-Man to Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Miles Morales dimension. The best thing about the book is the reactions to this: the two Spider-Men, Aunt May, Gwen Stacy and Nick Fury from the Ultimate line. That includes Gwen finding out about the Mary Jane Watson from Pete’s world. A very good, quite funny and poignant at times read by Brian Michael Bendis.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales collects Spider-Man #1-5 from the All-New All-Different Marvel. I bought the first issue when it came out and now I’ve read the next four. Miles Morales is in the mainstream Marvel Universe rather than his own and we see how he does in/out of the costume. This was weak not helped by the Dan Slott characterization of Black Cat, Ganke doing something on a bloody hunch he’s trustworthy (!) and how overused Miles’ venom blast is.