DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Read Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers. It collects the first 4 issues (starting from 0) and 4 digital one shots. From a writing standpoint everything here is technically fine. The problem arises in the finer points of keeping in line with the characters' personalities and histories. The book from this point is not well edited with Bendis not seeming to know or use much of the recent cosmic history. He creates a small Galactic Council, forgetting that one already exists and is significantly larger. He includes the Brood who are a small and parasitic race, meaning they would likely never be on a council like this. He includes Frejya as the All-Mother forgetting that she isn't the All-Mother alone and that Asgardians are higher beings in 616 meaning outside of individuals like Thor they would never be caught dead in a Galactic Council. He also writes the Guardians like too much of alien figure to the various races which is bs since they were well known from War of Kings and the Cancerverse attack. Hell, Pete has a statue with Nova running around somewhere as fallen hero. Bendis also seems to forget that the Badoon were only just now supposed to be coming in as a power and were generally not well known. On the more subjective side of things I'm not big on how young he makes Pete. Quill is now barely thirty when he was closer to his mid-late thirties beforehand. Iron Man is mostly useless. And the comment on UK heroes/Captain Britain was just asinine and unnecessary, even worse considering Marvel's soon attempt to return to them with Revolutionary War. Its not all bad. While I prefer the designs the Guardians were sporting during the DnA run I actually don't mind the current outfits they wear. The characters while not perfectly written aren't terrible far off from their personalities during DnA's run, and that is something I can see Bendis improving with over time. And while Bendis screws up the continuity a bit, the actual story with J-Son playing games with the Guardians and the Council does show some potential. As does the story with the Badoon depending on how far he goes into expanding them as a race. He at least remembers the split up Sisterhood and Brotherhood. Hopefully he also remembers the Sisterhood are the generally peaceful ones. All in all this was decent and has potential to be more, but I'm not certain if it can reach its full potential as this type of storytelling doesn't feel like Bendis's strong suit.

That was to be expected when Inhuman was pushed back. Charles Soule is the new writer. Only read his Swamp Thing so far, but he is good. He seems like a solid choice though I wonder if he can really keep up with the work load (She-hulk, Swamp Thing, Red Lanterns, SM/WW, Thunderbolts, Letter 44, now Inhuman) all while being a practicing lawyer.

Avengers: Endless Wartime. Didn't care for this. Warren tries to tell a story in modern Marvel time while negating where several characters (Rogers, Thor, Logan) are as people right now to make his story fit. His dialogue and general interactions between the Avengers while accurate to a degree somehow still feel manufactured and forced. The main plot was also a bit of a throw away and forgettable. Warren is also another writer who still under the incorrect assumption that SHIELD is a US outfit still when it hasn't been for two years now. I would call the story disappointing overall, but the truth is I didn't have particularly high expectations as I'm unfamiliar with Ellis' writing. I will have to settle on calling it average as the writing was at least technically decent.

Deadpool: Soul Hunter. First issue is mostly the same terrible cartoony style the first volume was. That said it did it's purpose in setting up the plot for the rest of the volume which saw Deadpool carrying out assassination jobs to save the lives and souls of those close to him. Actually thought this was a decent step up from the last volume. Wade had some decent moments of occasional seriousness, and there were consequences, even if minor, to some of the actions he did here. Not a big fan of Preston in Wade's head conceptually, but even this turned out to read better than I would have thought. Pretty decent read.

I've really liked what I've read from JMS's Spider-Man run. I haven't read the books which aren't well liked.

My top five Spider-Man writers:

1. Stan Lee/Steve Ditko

2. Dan Slott

3. Brian Michael Bendis

4. Gerry Conway

5. J. Michael Straczynski

The Spidey run I've read the most from is Dan Slott. Read little or none from the others on the CBR list.

Dematties is too low.

Kraven's last hunt is probably my favorite thing Marvel has ever published.

Same here.  DeMatteis' run is hamstrung a bit by awful editorial-mandated decisions: too many crossovers, the awful Clone Wars storyline, but it's quite strong. 

JMS is the glaring omission from my list.  I love almost the entire thing - while admitting some of the editorial decisions/plot twists were terrible (ie, Gwen's kids).

I like the Jenkins run a lot, but I'd like it more if the lasting legacy from his tenure wasn't Humberto Ramos, whose art I loathe.

Dematties is too low.

Kraven's last hunt is probably my favorite thing Marvel has ever published.

Same here.  DeMatteis' run is hamstrung a bit by awful editorial-mandated decisions: too many crossovers, the awful Clone Wars storyline, but it's quite strong. 

JMS is the glaring omission from my list.  I love almost the entire thing - while admitting some of the editorial decisions/plot twists were terrible (ie, Gwen's kids).

I like the Jenkins run a lot, but I'd like it more if the lasting legacy from his tenure wasn't Humberto Ramos, whose art I loathe.

Yeah, Humberto Ramos divides opinion. I like his art in Dan Slott's run but not from the very few scans I've seen out of it.

I volunteer to console Ms. DeConnick if needed.  On a side note, I was watching Captured Ghosts, the documentary about Warren Ellis. As it turns out, Fraction and DeConnick actually met on his old Delphi forum. =D