DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I've read most of Jason Aaron's Thor run and I've enjoyed it more so Thor: God of Thunder #1-11 as Thor faces Gorr the God Butcher, Thor (Vol. 4) #1-8 as Jane Foster debuts as the new holder of Mjolnir and The Death of the Mighty Thor.

I'm behind this week due to the Snow Day but I caught Avengers, Avengers: No Way Home, Wolverine and the Infinite Watch, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Dr. Strange on the way in. Strange was maybe a half step behind the others (though still clever enough) but all of them were very good with Guardians over the top good. It's easy to forget that Marvel in 2019 is still putting out a lot of good content. (And there's a bunch this week I haven't looked at yet like Wasp, Uncanny, Nightcrawler, Black Order, etc.)

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm behind this week due to the Snow Day but I caught Avengers, Avengers: No Way Home, Wolverine and the Infinite Watch, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Dr. Strange on the way in. Strange was maybe a half step behind the others (though still clever enough) but all of them were very good with Guardians over the top good. It's easy to forget that Marvel in 2019 is still putting out a lot of good content. (And there's a bunch this week I haven't looked at yet like Wasp, Uncanny, Nightcrawler, Black Order, etc.)

As usual, knowing Marvel is about to do yet another ginormous crossover has made me nervous about diving into their new titles - many of which look interesting. 

1 hour ago, Captain Kronos said:

As usual, knowing Marvel is about to do yet another ginormous crossover has made me nervous about diving into their new titles - many of which look interesting. 

It seems like MOST (if not all) of the things crossing over to War of the Realms are new one-shots/minis (a lot of which look great, actually). I understand the concern though. Avengers and Thor will be front and center with it.

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It seems like MOST (if not all) of the things crossing over to War of the Realms are new one-shots/minis (a lot of which look great, actually). I understand the concern though. Avengers and Thor will be front and center with it.

Encouraging, then. 

And there's always Conan - and now Savage Sword. 

Savage Avengers lineup got me to subscribe immediately to it since Conan is on a fucking team with Punisher, Wolverine, Venom, Brother Voodoo, and Elektra.

Also subscribed to regular Conan.  They're not offering Savage Sword yet.  Issue 1 of Savage Sword was dope as fuck though.  That lockpicking scene was the shit.

Finally read Avengers: No Surrender after failing to acquire it from the library twice before in the last 4-5 months. Story was tight, well paced, and did a decent job working with most of the characters involved. Dug the  everything with the Hulk and how it tied into the current Immortal run. Dug Voyager as well and how her story played out. Pretty fun read overall.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2019 at 1:44 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Exactly. I mean, I know you're not a superstar, but you have a big enough name it might get you through the door at least. Mention you worked with Neil.

Let's see: "Neil Gaiman takes my phone calls and Kurt Busiek and I are really good at pitching anthologies that no one wants to buy..." 

Hmm... Needs some work... ?

• Haha 2

On 2/21/2019 at 11:23 AM, twiztor said:

Marvel's May solicits just brought me disappointment that we're no closer to seeing Neil Gaiman finish his run on MiracleMan. "early 2019" they said last summer. no word since.

To be fair, Gaiman was busy running the Good Omens miniseries until a few weeks ago.

Ditto on The Wasp. I knew it was coming, but it still got a bit misty.

Spoiler

Last ish and the beginning of this ish saw the manic phase. This one shows the other side.

And the way the Marvel coverage of War of the Realms is going, we might finally figure out what the fuck happened to God(dess) of Stories Loki.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #14 written by Nick Spencer, art by Chris Bachalo, Family Matters Part One. Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson meet the Lizard and his family. A good issue for why Pete’s unsure of taking the offer up by Curt Connors, Aunt May gets nice moments in helping the harassed homeless man and standing up to Taskmaster. As for the art, costumed characters are fine but rough faces, a few of Peter Parker.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #15 written by Nick Spencer, art by Chris Bachalo, Family Matters Part Two. Aunt May’s at a restaurant where the ceiling collapsed through by Taskmaster/Black Ant while Billy Connors is still mad with his Dad. I right enjoyed this for Peter’s inner narration, two references to HYDRA Captain America/Secret Empire, one is particularly funny and Aunt May comes across well. Art doesn’t do it for me.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #16 written by Nick Spencer, art by Ryan Ottley (main story). Hunted: Prelude focuses on Kraven the Hunter – his plans for his Kingdom. Hunter is Nick Spencer’s first Spider-Man event. I right liked this as Kraven goes after the horrible who hunt for fun, trophies. I got a J. Michael Straczynski vibe with people wearing their totem. Here it’s worn without embracing it all – to be hunted. Kraven really should have stayed dead in Kraven’s Last Hunt though Spencer’s got a good hand on the character so far.

The backup is good where a sick Spider-Man is looking for Billy Connors whose ran away. I’m not sure yet if I’ll be getting all four bonus issues from Hunted labeled .HU even with Spencer’s writing. I will pick up TASM #16.HU about the Black Cat after the great recovery job by Nick from Dan Slott in TASM (Vol. 3). Queenpin Felicia Hardy sucks.

Edited by The Natural

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #3 LGY #36 written by Christos Gage, on art is Mike Hawthorne. Superior Spider-Man now has some of Terrax the Tamer’s Power Cosmic but is still up against it. This was a great issue as SSM fights for his city, to defy Terrax. SpOck has some humility to go with the superiority complex. Anna Maria Marconi’s well used from helping in the battle and having seen what Otto Octavius did will let him carry on as the Superior Spider-man but she’ll keep him in line. A very impressive relaunch of the series.

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

Kraven really should have stayed dead in Kraven’s Last Hunt though

Yep.  I loved the DeMatteis story, and haven't been able to take anything done with the character since seriously.

I really wish DeMatteis hadn't gone back to well and written a follow-up.  I'm a huge DeMatteis fan, but... ugh.

• Like 1

So far I'm liking No Road Home a lot, but it isn't generating the need to read the next chapter that No Surrender did. Not sure why, it's still something I'd recommend but the DAMMIT I HAVE TO WAIT A WEEK isn't there.  Still, it's pretty and has two of my very favorite writers and Hercules and it's fun, so I'm in for the remaining six issues

So I got the Epic Collection for Kraven's Last Hunt and damn is this tome something else!

It covers 3 major Spidey arcs including Kraven's Last Hunt (aka Fearful Symmetry). It covers the Ned Leeds Hobgoblin reveal (including the Spidey/Wolverine 1 shot). the falllout of Ned's death, the Peter proposing to MJ followed by the wacky Spidey v. Spider-Slayer in Pittsburgh story, the build-up to the Pete/MJ wedding, the wedding itself and then the Kraven.

I forgot that Peter actually killed someone in Spider-Man/Wolverine. I also forgot how they built up The Foreigner during the Hobgoblin arc. It seems like they did nothing with Foreigner after that. So much happens in the aftermath of the Hobgoblin reveal, it seems a shame that they undid it in the 90s. We did get Jack O'Lantern becoming the nre Hobgoblin but in his first outing Spidey just wrecks him and thast pretty much sets the course for Demogoblin (lord I hated Demogoblin).

Am ?I crazy or did they follow-up Kraven's Last Hunt with The Mad Dog Ward the very next month? because if they did that was one fucked up summer for Peter Parker

James

• Like 1