DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 1/9/2019 at 12:48 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Have you ever actually pitched it to Marvel John?

No, and fact is I doubt anyone at Marvel even knows who I am. I really should come up with a good pitch and see what happens, worst they can do is say "no"! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

No, and fact is I doubt anyone at Marvel even knows who I am. I really should come up with a good pitch and see what happens, worst they can do is say "no"! 

Exactly. I mean, I know you're not a superstar, but you have a big enough name it might get you through the door at least. Mention you worked with Neil.

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #2 LGY #35 written by Christos Gage, on art is Mike Hawthorne. Terrax the Tamer has arrived in San Francisco protected by the Superior Spider-Man. I thought this was bloody good as SpOck takes his biggest beating by far but keeps going, qualities learnt from Otto Octavius’ possession of Peter Parker. I liked how there’s a given reason for superheroes listed by Anna Maria Marconi not turning up.

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man (Vol. 2, 2019) #1-2 written by Tom Taylor, on art is Juann Cabal. Mother of Exiles: Part one and two. In #1 Spider-Man rescues someone and as Peter Parker is asked by a neighbour in his apartment, Marnie to check up on another neighbour, Leilani. There’s a backup with a development to Aunt May. #2, Spider-Man is looking out for Leilani as she’s missing.

An impressive start to the book for reasons I’ll discuss. Taylor crucially nails the voice of Peter Parker from the opening to #1 how Peter’s fear/safety in his early days as Spider-Man was replaced by the scream of someone requiring assistance. A lovely double page spread of Spidey mid-swing with buildings made up of key moments in the history of the character follows. Peter is also helpful in non Spider-Man ways. The humour is correct and there’s a touching nod to Peter remembering his Mum. The smaller scale around Peter Parker’s neighbourhood, the residents he lives with and the art is great. Really enjoyed this.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

this thread is a great read. And a sad read.

This.  I'm not a huge fan of JB, so it's not a "crushing my childhood" moment or anything, but, yeah, I read the rest of the tweets and was kinda deflated.  Did not expect to read that John Buscema basically told the room "Yeah, I don't know much about superhero comics.  I'm just paid to draw stuff."  Disappointing.

I understand the attitude.  You can't blame him for it.  Lots of people in every profession you can name aren't passionate about their jobs.  I love my job, but it's typically the least interesting part of my day.  At the same time, I don't wanna know. If George Perez wasn't a comics fan and just drew whatever someone was willing to pay him to do, I'm just as soon not know it.  Same way I don't want to hear about pro athletes who give up their sport as soon as they retire.  I'm an everyday runner, marathoner, and track geek.  I don't enjoy podcasts with former pro runners who stopped even jogging as soon as their professional career ended....

Weird.  I feel a little bad for Dorkin because he clearly was a huge fan.  As much as Dorkin gets it, it's hard to look at one of your idols the same way again, even if you still respect his work.

That had to be a hilariously awkward Q&A.

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Not a fan of John Buscema?
People like this exist?

James

Fan, but never one of my absolute favorites.  Buscema telling a crowd he does't know much about superhero comics wouldn't have a huge impact on me.  On the other hand, Marshall Rogers saying he doesn't know what Batman is about would be a "stop stomping on my teen years" moment.  My younger self was a huge fan of Englehart/Rogers/Austin on Batman.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1): Back to Basics collects material from Free Comic Book Day 2018 (Amazing Spider-Man/Guardians of the Galaxy) #1 and Amazing Spider-Man (2018) #1-5 written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Ryan Ottley. I read them as they came out and borrowed this from the library for another look at it. FCBD 2018 (ASM/GOTG) I liked more than at the time, it’s a short story setting up things for the series proper.

In the ASM #1-5, Peter Parker’s got problems from the time Otto Octavius possessed him and how Peter Parker/Spider-Man are split into two separate entities. This is still a great story for those – the former taking credit for something he didn’t do and the latter acts as a commentary on those sides of the character. Spider-Man is able to solve things without needing to be bailed out unlike a chunk of Slott’s Spidey stories. Pete’s inner narration is a real highlight, the book’s frequent funny. Something fans have waited for an age actually occurred. #1 is particularly full of surprises. I gave the opening arc a go in singles to what TASM (Vol. 5, 2018) was like and whether I’d continue with it. I still am. Well done, Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley!

Extras are limited to a few variant covers. I do have to vent at the inside front covers not because it’s a guide to follow the adventures of the Amazing Spider-Man in these collected editions but what’s recommended. The books are TASM (Vol. 3) and TASM (Vol. 4): Worldwide by Dan Slott. Vol. 3 was really bad, Vol. 4 worse. I should have dropped them from my subscription sooner. No way do those need suggesting to people as Spider-Man books to go for.

I've read the following Ultimate Spider-Man with Peter Parker as Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection Vol. 1. USM #1-13.

Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Venom. USM #33-38.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man. Ultimate Comics: USM #156-160.

Which other books/stories do you recommend? I'll either do that or may read to #111, the last issue with the BMB/Bagley creative team.

Thank you.

Astonishing X-men: Until Our Hearts Stop. Fun little read all around. its a pity it got cancelled so quickly. There was decent potential in the team and story though the wrapped it up better than I would have guessed. The annual focusing on the, at the time, surviving original five and Xavier in his new body a solid little story if a bit depressing. Not sure I read more than the first issue or two before this, but it makes me  a bit curious to go back and read up on this darker Xavier running around in Fantomex's body.

Immortal Hulk: Or is he Both? Enjoyable read. I'm digging the horror vibes and inner look at Banner. Reminds me that I really need to try and read the PAD run at some point, probably sooner than later since this seems to build off it from my understanding.

3 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Welp. Conan to lead a Savage Avengers team with Wolverine, Venom, Punisher, Elektra, and Brother Voodoo.

That's...a choice. Can't wait for all this stuff to be impossible to reprint due to rights issues in another ten years or so.

Aaron would have been way more interesting than Duggan on that one. This very much feels like one of those kewl extreme comics.

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Aaron would have been way more interesting than Duggan on that one. This very much feels like one of those kewl extreme comics.

Or worse an EXTREME studios comic... say has Leifeld ever drawn Conan? I mean It wouldn't be good but did it happen?

James