DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

27 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Did JMS' THE TWELVE ever finish?  That's along the same lines.

yeah, The Twelve was pretty decent. it took like 3-4 years to get 12 issues, but it was fun. IIRC, it features obscure Golden Age Marvel characters brought to the current day, while the Marvels Project took a real-world look at how superheroes would/did affect the world during WW2.

10 hours ago, twiztor said:

i REALLY enjoyed "the Marvels Project", an 8-issue miniseries from like 2008 from writer Ed Brubaker. If you're a fan of Golden Age characters, i'd strongly recommend this one.

Thanks! Somehow I missed this! (Well, I know how, my LCS is now three hours away, so I generally try to catch up with trades on eBay or from Discount Comics.) But y'all know I love the GA stuff and Brubaker is a hell of a writer and has the proper reverence for the characters. I really wish that before I die Marvel would let me (or anyone) do a Blazing Skull mini-series. There's so much that you can do with a hero who, let's face it, is totally fucking insane.

10 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Did JMS' THE TWELVE ever finish?  That's along the same lines.

Sure did, and I must say that for the most part I absolutely loved it. They took super-obscure characters from the pages of like Daring Mystery, Mystic and so on and brought them into present day. When you can find GA characters that even I am not familiar with (and the GA is my sweet spot for my comic nerd-dom), like the Phantom Reporter and Mister E, you've done your homework. 

Avengers is too much fun.

The support staff (Agents of Wakanda: "the hand that holds the nail") is as follows:

Okoye, Roz Solomon, Ka-Zar, Gorilla Man, Broo, Dr. Nemesis, American Eagle, Fat Cobra, Wasp (Janet), Man-Wolf (Jameson)

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

Avengers is too much fun.

The support staff (Agents of Wakanda: "the hand that holds the nail") is as follows:

Hide contents

Okoye, Roz Solomon, Ka-Zar, Gorilla Man, Broo, Dr. Nemesis, American Eagle, Fat Cobra, Wasp (Janet), Man-Wolf (Jameson)

I saw this earlier. Only just started reading the first trade of Aaron's run, but that first issue there and reading about stuff like this has me wanting so much more.

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I saw this earlier. Only just started reading the first trade of Aaron's run, but that first issue there and reading about stuff like this has me wanting so much more.

I thought the first arc was just ok, but when everything comes together with #700, it was a great feeling.

One more of the Avengers Academy kids has shown up and looks like she'll be a recurring character in Captain Marvel.

Spoiler

Hazmat. She goes to Iron Man because she's leaking radiation again. Tony talks her into becoming Hazmat's mentor, but she bails when Carol runs into Rhodey for the first time since his resurrection.

• 2 weeks later...

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #11 written by Nick Spencer, artist is Ryan Ottley. Lifetime Achievement, Part One. Set over Christmas J Jonah Jameson gets a spotlight issue as he’s to be given an award by Mayor Fisk. I liked this issue more second time round as it’s Spencer’s turn to write Spidey/JJJ as Spider-Man told him who he was changing the dynamic between them in Chip Zdarsky’s Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6. There’s a really funny background gag at the expense of Spider-Man. Spencer picks up the Robbie Robertson strand from his first issue. Nice getting Ottley back since #5.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #12 written by Nick Spencer, artist is Ryan Ottley. Lifetime Achievement, Part Two. The issue opens and closes to a tribute to Stan Lee who passed away. The issue acts as a recap of J Jonah Jameson’s life, his highs and lows inside a room with Spider-Man while chased. A decent this is your life.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #13 written by Nick Spencer, Ryan Ottley’s art concludes Lifetime Achievement. Spider-Man and J Jonah Jameson are in an interactive exhibit about their relationship. The Big Man and Scorpion are after them. I really enjoyed this issue as J Jonah Jameson reflects on the hurt he’s caused and how to amend things. Spider-Man gives him a pep talk, good dialogue written there. I liked the return of “This guy”. Nick Spencer is having a great run so far. Spencer gets the voices, Spidey’s competent and the supporting cast gets arcs like Mary Jane Watson/The Black Cat (TASM #8-10) and JJJ here. The art is on point by Ryan Ottley and Humberto Ramos too. Forgot to add, Stan Lee tribute is here.

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #1 is written by Christos Gage, on art is Mike Hawthorne. The cover and inside has a tribute to the late, great Stan Lee. The issue looks at what Otto Octavius is up to in costume as the Superior Spider-Man and out of it as Professor Elliot Tolliver. I really enjoyed it for this as a big fan of the Superior Spider-Man, I ordered the book when it was announced. Anna Maria Marconi shuts Otto down disclaiming his excuse that the accident that fused his metal arms to him caused brain damage and his changed perspective to villainy to heroism. I liked that too.

So... I've read the Uncanny X-Men annual. I have thoughts.

Spoiler

THE GOOD:

-The actual resurrection story is pretty damn good and ties a few things together from different books(it literally uses something from the freaking Secret Avengers AvX tie-in).

-The art is fantastic. Gomez really should've been the Uncanny artist going forward.

- Kid Cable(ugh) actually shows a bit of personality that isn't "arrogant dickbag." Though it makes his actions in Extermination(killing older Cable) come off highly hypocritical.

- It's really Cyclops back and not a clone or some other shit to have him "back" without actually having him back.

THE BAD:

- Kid Cable throwing Emma under the bus. Jordan White probably furiously pleasured himself reading that bit.

- Kid Cable also forcefully endangering the scientist and his family who ultimately brought Scott back to life because he had to know if Scott would go help the X-Men or the scientist. Seems like it was supposed to reinforce the notion that Cyke cared more for mutants than everyone in general(which is absolute horseshit, he repeatedly went out of his way to save humanity in general *multiple times*). Fuck this revisionist history.

- Scott's big speech when Kid Cable takes him to the beach where Nate fought the X-Men during Disassembled where he admits he was "wrong" for focusing on mutants when they were on the verge of goddamn EXTINCTION felt like the X-Office is just going to erase any and all development he's gone through just to get back to the 90's version of the character.

- Tyke's memories get referenced, which is pretty groan-worthy because of how badly they poison the well. Tyke was surrounded by nothing but people who irrationally hated his present-day self and even when he went to join Adult Cyke's group, they rarely interacted to give some perspective to why Cyke made the choices he made at the time.

There's some definite good in this book, but honestly the X-Office(and by extension Marvel itself) still sticking their head in the sand regarding how they've handled both Cyke and the X-Men since Schism really doesn't inspire much hope for the future. I'm still gonna give Rosenberg a few issues to see how he handles things, but after an extremely disappointing Disassembled, this did little excite me outside of actually bringing Cyke back.

44 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I guess that's the book that is sending Rosenberg off Twitter. 

Well, Brisson wrote the annual, Rosenberg's up next week with #11. People harassing writers on Twitter is fucking terrible though and I hate that it's forcing him to basically abandon social media.

12 hours ago, APO said:

So... I've read the Uncanny X-Men annual. I have thoughts.

Reveal hidden contents

THE GOOD:

-The actual resurrection story is pretty damn good and ties a few things together from different books(it literally uses something from the freaking Secret Avengers AvX tie-in).

-The art is fantastic. Gomez really should've been the Uncanny artist going forward.

- Kid Cable(ugh) actually shows a bit of personality that isn't "arrogant dickbag." Though it makes his actions in Extermination(killing older Cable) come off highly hypocritical.

- It's really Cyclops back and not a clone or some other shit to have him "back" without actually having him back.

THE BAD:

- Kid Cable throwing Emma under the bus. Jordan White probably furiously pleasured himself reading that bit.

- Kid Cable also forcefully endangering the scientist and his family who ultimately brought Scott back to life because he had to know if Scott would go help the X-Men or the scientist. Seems like it was supposed to reinforce the notion that Cyke cared more for mutants than everyone in general(which is absolute horseshit, he repeatedly went out of his way to save humanity in general *multiple times*). Fuck this revisionist history.

- Scott's big speech when Kid Cable takes him to the beach where Nate fought the X-Men during Disassembled where he admits he was "wrong" for focusing on mutants when they were on the verge of goddamn EXTINCTION felt like the X-Office is just going to erase any and all development he's gone through just to get back to the 90's version of the character.

- Tyke's memories get referenced, which is pretty groan-worthy because of how badly they poison the well. Tyke was surrounded by nothing but people who irrationally hated his present-day self and even when he went to join Adult Cyke's group, they rarely interacted to give some perspective to why Cyke made the choices he made at the time.

There's some definite good in this book, but honestly the X-Office(and by extension Marvel itself) still sticking their head in the sand regarding how they've handled both Cyke and the X-Men since Schism really doesn't inspire much hope for the future. I'm still gonna give Rosenberg a few issues to see how he handles things, but after an extremely disappointing Disassembled, this did little excite me outside of actually bringing Cyke back.

You have strong opinions. I think we're ok not having spoilers now as the comic came out yesterday and we've known he was coming back for a while.

I thought the means of resurrection were extremely convoluted. I'm not sure how that got past an editor. It sort of felt right and sort of worked and sort of felt old X-Men-y but I think there were a number of simpler paths to get there.

Emma deserved to be thrown under the bus on a consistency of character sort of way. You may not like what happened with her during the Inhumans thing and after but that's what happened with her and other than her appearances in Iceman, it's been leaned into for the most part. You can't fix that as part of this story when she's not even on screen. Scott died in a stupid way (every element of the story considers it stupid even). She had something of a breakdown and did what she did.

Kid Cable is absolutely severely messed up. He's "human" but definitely twisted by his post Redd/Slym upbringing. The reason why they went this route with him is because it's sort of an untapped well. He's not a hero. He's a soldier who's used to fighting a post-apocalyptic war. Yet he's also a kid who didn't have a proper, nurturing childhood, and all of it twisted by the physical pain of the virus and the Askani prophecies and worship. He's going to be pretty messed up in how he does things despite having good intentions. Presumably, that'll make it all interesting.

Teen Cyclops went through a lot of stuff, including what he went through in space with his dad. I'm pretty sure that Scott can put those memories and the impact that he had on other people in perspective since he's already done so much stuff and seen so much. You can believe that Cyclops Was Right and still realize that there were a ton of interpersonal decisions he made that were absolutely wrong. I'd slow down on thinking they're going to pull him all the way back to X-Men Blue 91 or the Animated Series ("JEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN"). 

Let's see where they go from here.