DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #311-313 written by Sean Ryan, drawn by Juan Frigeri. This is part of the Spider-Geddon event. The Inheritors who hunt Spider-totems are free. Morlun is after Peter Parker who keeps beating him. I read this as I have Spider-Man vs. Morlun fights in Coming Home (2001), the Other (2005), Spider-Verse (2014) and now in Spider-Geddon (2018). I enjoyed it for that, the POV perspective of Spider-Man/Morlun and J Jonah Jameson trying to help Parker out. Spider-Man going for Morlun’s eye was a good callback. Having said that, I hope Spider-Geddon is the last we see of Morlun and his family, the Inheritors.

Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider #3 written by Seanan McGuire, artist is Rosi Kampe ties into Spider-Geddon. For Spider-Gwen to get back against the Inheritors, she has to face off against the Green Goblin as that’s Gwen here, she needs her help. This may be the best issue so far. Spider-Gwen has a shorter fuse now, she and Mary Jane Watson try to get through to Gwen’s Green Goblin and do redeem.

Spider-Geddon #5 written by Christos Gage based on a Dan Slott story. The leaders of opposing Spider groups, Superior Spider-Man and Miles Morales’ Spider-Man see if their methods can stop the Inheritors. I enjoyed this issue for those, how both changed their stances from when they began, Ben Reilly’s treatment is much better to that in the Clone Conspiracy/Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider. @The Unholy Dragon and @twiztor will be pleased. I chuckled at Miles asking if Gwen’s a ghost, she likes the sound of that and the baddie for the next time Spiders come together to face that. The issue did feel a tad rushed, could have done with an extra issue. I enjoyed Spider-Geddon more than I did Spider-Verse.

• Like 2

Today's haul:

• Conan 1
  • Obi-Wan one-shot
  • Qui-Gonn one-shot 
  • (there's also a Darth Maul one-shot, but I don't care about that character)

(also: some DC, as well as Archie 700-701 and whatever the current BPRD book is)

I just couldn't get motivated about anything else from Marvel, except for FF. But I need to buy 2-4 and the wedding issue, and I was already spending too much. 

22 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

(there's also a Darth Maul one-shot, but I don't care about that character)

I like Maul fine, but it was definitely skippable. The Qui-Gonn one shot was nice. I like the little backstory they give at the end for the ideas behind the characters.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I like Maul fine, but it was definitely skippable. The Qui-Gonn one shot was nice. I like the little backstory they give at the end for the ideas behind the characters.

The Qui-Gonn one felt kind of thin, but it's always nice to get a story about him. I liked his conversation with Yoda. 

I have not read the Obi-Wan issue yet. Looks like they're doing weekly one-shots this year. Could be good, especially if they do issues on the Rogue One characters. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

The Qui-Gonn one felt kind of thin, but it's always nice to get a story about him. I liked his conversation with Yoda. 

I have not read the Obi-Wan issue yet. Looks like they're doing weekly one-shots this year. Could be good, especially if they do issues on the Rogue One characters. 

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they plan to do anything with the Rogue One characters for Age of Rebellion which sucks and makes no sense.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they plan to do anything with the Rogue One characters for Age of Rebellion which sucks and makes no sense.

That seems silly. This is a great opportunity to add a little bit of backstory to those paper-thin characters. I wanted to care about them more than the movie offered me. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

That seems silly. This is a great opportunity to add a little bit of backstory to those paper-thin characters. I wanted to care about them more than the movie offered me. 

To be fair one of them is getting a series though I still agree in general.

I've got Marvel Unlimited due to following the Marvel Age Podcast.

However, it'd be cool to check out some more recent stuff on offer from Marvel (...considering they are still in the 60s)

What short stories or short runs would you recommend me checking out considering I have limited involvement in Marvel at all?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Liam said:

However, it'd be cool to check out some more recent stuff on offer from Marvel (...considering they are still in the 60s)

What short stories or short runs would you recommend me checking out considering I have limited involvement in Marvel at all?

Avengers: The Initiative and Avengers Academy are both relatively short (36-40ish issues each?) and are excellent 'young hero' stories, though Initiative gets sidetracked at the end due to the change in status quo for the MU.  (I have a soft spot for the Mighty Avengers run that happens concurrent with the last year of Initiative, but not many do. Dan Slott was kind of horrified I said it was my favorite of his stories.)   I really love the Fraction/Allreds FF book with Ant-Man, She-Hulk, Medusa and new character Ms Thing (a Katy Perry stand-in who'd been dating Johnny, wearing Ben's old power armor from like the Wolfman run in the 70s).  It's la really fun year of comics.  Young Avengers by Gillen/McKelvie/Norton is very very good but I'm not sure about reading it without the Heinberg/Cheung YA, which I didn't like nearly as much, first. If you're willing to dig back to the ridiculously ancient days of 2003-4, Marvel Boy is a great piece of compressed madness.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Liam said:

The Vision by Tom King.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, Liam said:

i REALLY enjoyed "the Marvels Project", an 8-issue miniseries from like 2008 from writer Ed Brubaker. If you're a fan of Golden Age characters, i'd strongly recommend this one.